“Fantastic Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Neilson Retreat Beachclub

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syvota
Neilson Retreat Beachclub
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Syvota
GreenLeadersGold level
Wales
“Fantastic Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just back from our second holiday at The Retreat. Had a fantastic two weeks of cycling, playing tennis, kayaking and taking part in the various fitness classes on offer, yoga, pilates, abbs etc etc. Garden room overlooking the sea was lovely, food was plentiful. Thank you to all the staff who do a fantastic job.

2 Thank rebecca_597

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Although in happy relationship circumstances this year meant I had to holiday solo for the first time so I thought an activity based holiday might do the trick - how right I was!
Met my first other solo traveller on the coach, the second leaving my room and by the evening meal we had a merry band of like minded individuals! Neilson also organises a 'Social Table' to aid the single traveller but I found I naturally chatted and mixed with people through doing the activities - any apprehension I'd had of spending the week on my own quickly evaporated!
The setting is absolutely beautiful and the layout of the resort makes the most of the views from the hillside over the bay. Food is plentiful and is of excellent quality - you can chose to eat healthily or be tempted by the naughtier options!
I also ate in the local village on the non-inclusive nights - again a good selection of local taverns to choose from even though some of them where closing for the end of the season. it's an easy walk even up the hill but we did use the water taxi one evening and that was a delightful end to the evening.
I chose to stay in a Garden Room - mine was probably as far away from the beach as possible but I loved the privacy and the view and got used to the numerous steps after a day or two. It made me be very careful to pack all I needed for the morning or afternoon activities to reduce wasted trips back to my room!
Room was bright and well appointed - air conditioning, safe, TV, good size bathroom with shower and plenty of wardrobe space.
Thoroughly enjoyed the activities on offer - learnt to water ski which I thought was amazing! - made use of the kayaks and paddle boards, loved the Zumba and the stretch & relax classes but still found time for a lie by the pool! I would definitely have a go at the tennis and dingy sailing next time after listening to my new friends feedback.
Treated myself to a massage at the Spa - I highly recommend indulging yourself there, it's a beautiful space with the best views!
I was delighted with my holiday - thought it was amazing value for money taking into account the quality of tuition included in the price. All the Staff seemed happy in their work whether in the reception, restaurant or running the activities which says a lot about a company!
Rumour has it that there will be a big refurbishment of the resort over the winter and it'll be interesting to see what improvements are made - hope to be there for another week next summer to find out

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

4 Thank calicocat_1960
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been many times and it is great. The staff are just lovely and do their best to look after you. You can do everything or nothing, the place has the most gorgeous outlook and all rooms have this view, It is spotless, the rooms are needing a little refurbishment but they are still fine.I can do nothing but praise the place and neilsons for running a great resort, the tennis and the kayaking are my favourite. the harbour is small and quite great food available

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

3 Thank TichOneil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Never been on a Neilson holiday before and I wish I hadn't wasted so many years going on other holidays. We had a fantastic time, staff were great, especially Ian our windsurf instructor, other guests were all very friendly. It was an amazing holiday, I just wish we had more time there as I didn't get to do everything I wanted to because I simply didn't have enough hours in the day and there was so much choice. The food was plentiful, the BBQ was tasty, the sports were so good I was out of bed earlier than I usually am for work!

1 Thank Natalie M
Oldham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

plus points: truely awesome setting, wonderfull staff, more or less perfect weather even in October, and a beautifull village/fishing port about half a mile away.Every sport known to man available...at a price. great food. Great restaurants in Sivota (The Steak House) and bars (B
amboo place). Great fellow guests. The restaurant and domestic staff deserve special praise for their hard work, efficiency, and friendliness.
The one trip we took to Parga on a "free evening" expensive (included nothing more than the coach ride!) was brilliant too.Good thing during the holiday we had plenty of money as more or less all the activities charged for, plus the bar charges much higher than in village.
Against: take your own beach towel...E10 a week to hire one! Awfull room, dont, i repeat, dont get billeted in room 433. dreadfull view on rising stairs with no private sitting area. One set of Patio windows, one opaque as seal failed and stained panel of glass. No seat in room to sit on other than dressing stool or the beds. Cost of all extras.Theyve a captive audience as nowhere nearbye to go and boy do they milk it!.
Just like the set of thePrisoner, all charm and control. Makes the 3 days you dont get an evening meal in a week the chance to escape and explore lovely Sivota a pure joy!
You cant book a day tour either from the Retreat or the village, a sort of sublime quandry in just the most PERFECT setting we have EVER seen.
David Davies and Derek Livesey.
Would stay in Sivota again, but not here!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Davidwalterdavies
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Recently got back from a fabulous holiday in Syvota, although I may need another holiday to get over it!!

ROOMS - Basic but to a decent standard, if not a little tired. Excellent shower, very clean (and cleaned properly every day) but you need to pay extra for a kettle

FOOD - Great food, with a good choice for every meal. Drinks you pay extra for except for water at the table (and tea/coffee, fruit juice for breakfast) A welcome change to leave the hotel and eat elsewhere though. The BBQ I cannot recommend I am afraid as it was almost the same as eating at the restaurant on a normal night and I would have preferred the extra night out.

ACTIVITIES - Fantastic! Loads to do, loads of staff on hand, plenty of instruction and also ability to borrow equipment such as bikes and paddle boards and do your own thing. No proper gym there but so much else to do unless you are a desperate muscle mary you shouldn't miss it!

HOTEL - Divided into hotel and garden rooms. Exactly the same but location meant the garden rooms involved a fair amount of walking to food and bar. BUT I still am glad I stayed in the garden rooms, a little more private I think. Many steps as everyone has commented on, and all part of the fitness drive! Everywhere was clean and accessible.

STAFF - Everyone was friendly, helpful and seemed to be pleased to be there as well as help you. Restaurant, bar and reception were particularly good.

LOCAL AREA - Beautiful part of Greece and would happily come back to the area. Syvota is ten min walk down the hill of doom, but a 4 or 5 euro taxi up, or a 2.50 Euro boat trip. The Steak House in Syvota was easily the best restaurant, great food, massive portions, good service, free dips and dessert, and raki!, and the meals were very reasonably priced. Wish I had gone here more actually, and instead of the other places that all seemed ok but not as good value or as nice.
The area is undulating and makes for some lovely cycling or hiking. Some great scenery, nice localish towns such as Parga and Plataria which we reached by bike.

We were lucky and had amazing weather for the first week and ok weather the second. We spent some time at the beach area and pool (which were not huge) but I like to get my tan while attempting to get fitter so did plenty of the activities provided and was not bothered by the lack of space, although I never struggled to get a sun bed. Great atmosphere from all the guests too. Defo would return!! - with more Mosquito repellent too!

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Everthing about this holiday was exactly as it was promissed even the weather was superb. We booked a restricted view room in the main hotel & got an excellent room overlooking the pool & goat island! The food was plentiful with varied options every night so those who said it was repetative must have tried around 10 different dishes each night. The staff really make you feel welcome and nothing is to much trouble. We managed to try most activities but it was a bit dissapointing that the main ski boat was out of action the week we were there. Neverthless the ski & wakeboard team seemed to fit most of us in for at least one tow per day. There are two things I will not miss aboutn this hotel though!!!!!! The mozzies and the steps! Well done neilson, we will deffinately be trying another resort next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends