“Excellent & relaxing”

Sissi Bay Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Sissi
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I just got back from Sissi Bay last week. Had an amazing week out there. Lovely hotel, very clean, very friendly staff. Swimming pool was a bit too cold for me but others seemed to enjoy it and the jacuzzi. The hotel is situated literally across the road from the sea and we had a room right down by the ocean. The food was also lovely, as much fresh salad and tatziki as you could want. Nice selection at every meal and a bbq/grill outside with fresh meat/fish every day.
If you are going check out Jimmy's bar of an evening (offically called the tiki bar) the man is a legend and so friendly (especially recommend his margharita).
On the whole, me and my partner had a great week away and would happily go again.

Reviewed September 27, 2010

Read a lot of reviews before we booked, but decied to make our own minds up. Only booked up 2 weeks before trip, and overall had a cracking time! Food was good on the whole, something to choose from every day, but then there are always the few, that expect far to much for their money! Found the staff to be friendly and happy to help! Special mention for (daytime pool bar) Nickos and Sabina at the Tropical bar, both always smiling and ready to fill our glasses!! Can recomend the Greek Night, good laugh and the food was even better!
Location is spot on, easy walking distance from the Harbour and various nice Bars and Restaurants. We would have no problem in returning at some point in the future.
On a down note, if your on one of the flights that get you to the hotel in the early hours of the morning, your rooms may not be ready! so be prepaired!
Good luck and enjoy....

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We arrived at the hotel greeted by friendly and polite staff (even though it was early hours of the morning). Once in our room we were disappointed by the view from our balcony. We were faced with a wall of doors leading to our people’s room. We were also next to reception so we couldn't even talk on the balcony without people hearing. One problem we faced was the cleaner leaving our balcony door open (which is done in every room so it can air out), problem with that was anyone could walk into our room; after we told reception this never happened again.
The drink choice is quite poor, all soft drinks were watered down and alcoholic drinks were basic, vodka, brandy, beer etc. The all inclusive stops at 11 so the entertainment staff try there hardest to get everyone on stage at 10:55.
All the staff are amazing, Nikos(day) is so friendly and funny and always wears a smile.
Nikos (night) can be abit of a moaner and a bit grumpy but all round is a really nice man.
Sabina is really funny and loves to be on the joke, although she is the slowest barmaid in the world and if you order a drink expect to get it an hour later.
Kara is English which makes her think she can be rude and that she is better than everyone else.
All the young ones are amazingly friendly and can’t do enough for you. Adam and Rasty are really funny but also hard working.

The location is really nice and everything is cheap (in 2 weeks I spent about £150, this includes renting quads, the occasional meal and snacks and other activities during the day.)

The third beach along is gorgeous, the other 2 are nice but you NEED to wear shoes in the water because it's really rocky.

The food is okay. There is always fresh and different food every day, although not much for people with basic/plain appetites.

The entertainment on a night is quite bad but the 3 people doing the entertainment are amazing. The head of entertainment is Viola, she explained to us that they have no budget and everything they use is their own, (even the cd player!) If it wasn't for her there would be nothing on so hat's off to them. During the day they do water aerobics (which I recommend trying even once as it's such a laugh), water polo, volley ball and darts.

The pool, MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS!!!! The pools are salt water, all of them. They aren't as bad as expected but make sure you shower after each use because it's really bad for your skin (as I discovered). Goggles would be advised because it stings badly when it gets in your eyes.

Everyone who commented saying they feel the extras were too much are wrong. I was expecting to have to pay for safe and air con, anyone who wasn't is deluded. The safe cost us 40euro for 2 weeks which is nothing when you think about the cost of replacing all your items.
DO NOT PAY FOR THE AIR CON IT IS FREE!!!!
Pull the front of the aircon box off and press either the test button or the manual button depending on which one you have. It's amazing and saved us alot of money.

Also Malia is a short distance away for anyone wanting to go out it's 15euros in a taxi and is a good night out.

Overall I had an amazing holiday (helped by meeting some fantastic people) and would go back again.
At the end of the day it is not expensive to stay in this hotel so you shouldn't expect a palace. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This holiday was excellent, the staff are all so friendly. Jimmy is the best bar man ever. The food is amazing and there is always a different range of food to have. The accomodation is also amazing. Our room was just behind the pool and a 30 second walk from the bar. I CANT WAIT TO GO BACK NEXT YEAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We arrived at this hotel at 7am after a night flight and long transfer to be shown a room which I can only describe as a dungeon undearneath the back of the reception. We were appalled to find that someone had urinated outside the front door and the smell was appalling. We had no natural light, the room was damp and musty and it was tiny. Certainly not what their website shows.

After refusing to accept this room we were offered a Junior Suite for an additional €115 or a Sea View Room for €105. We took the sea view. We then had to pay an extra €24 for the safety deposit and if we had taken the air conditioning, I believe this was a further €49. So to start your holiday having to shelve of €129 of your hard earned cash is not good. We also asked to keep our room on for a few extra hours as we had a night flight and that cost a further €27.

During the day we opted for the pool over the road from the hotel. This was fairly quiet with plenty of sunloungers. The downside was, if you wanted a tea or coffee you had to walk across the road and down to the other pool bar. The hotel policy was that you were not to leave your belongings by the pool if you were not using them as the hotel would remove them, so therefore could not just leave and have a coffee.

The restaurant was average and have to say although the meals were ok there was little choice. After eating a Greek Salad for four days in a row we started to get a little bored. The hotel buffet was acceptable and there was always something to eat but the same old food kept being served. We did eat out one evening at a Greek Taverna and it was delicious.

The all inclusive drinks were average and it was hard to find something that we liked. I would recommend the beer and wine as these were fairly good. The brandy, vodka and rum all tasted the same.

The snacks offered during the mid-morning was very average, it was either a ham or cheese roll with chips. Not particuarly appetising. Afternoon snacks consisted of coffee and cake between 4 and 6pm.

The entertainment was only on for a couple of nights during our stay and what we did hear was not particularly good. I have to say that I did not think it was acceptable for the entertainment staff to be walking around with the words 'f***ing* writren on their T Shirt.

I cant comment on the spa but I do know that it was €15 for half an hours massge. However I did hear that the gym did not have air conditioning and very limited equipment. You also have to pay to use the spa.

All in all we did have a nice time but a lot of that has to do with the people we met during our stay and the things we did outside of the hotel.

A lot of the staff are very friendly and helpful but there were certain staff members who were rude and argumentative. Personally I would not go back to this hotel as it does not offer real value for money. It appears the owners are only interested in taking as much of your hard earned cash as much as possible rather than provide you with a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

1  Thank IrelandSussex
Reviewed September 16, 2010

Just got back from two weeks half board at The Sissi Bay hotel, travelled with my husband & family to celebrate my 50th and what a joll!
This hotel is definately a 4 star with a 5 star experience!
It was so luxurious, I was so pleased with my stay here, especially for such a special birthday :)
The staff are amazing Cleo recommended we hired a car, which we did for 2 days, parking at the hotel is free and this was a great way to explore the beauty of Crete.
My hubby treated me to a massage in the spa and that is out of this world!!
There are 4 huge pools at the hotel and really good facilities in your rooms too! We were lucky enough to have a pool view & we had a balcony, fridge, hair dryer and air con!
My nieces went in the kids club and had a great time.
Yes I would go back and yes I would recommend it to a friend!
Hoping to rebook it for next year if we can get a good deal.

Reviewed September 15, 2010

I was a bit worried after reading the reviews to this hotel as some people had wrote some pretty nasty things. I went with my boyfriend from the 7th to 15th September (got back today) an I'm missing it already.. We arrived at 5 in the morning after getting a transfer from the airport this did take 2 hours so I suggest taking a taxi as would only be half hour this would cost around 50 euros. Wen we got there at 5 in the Morning we were put in the room right by reception. This room isn't great it had 3 single beds so in the morning I went and asked for a double bed. They were fine in changing rooms for us an the. Other room was fab very clean and just as expected. It had a private pool an was away from the noise at night. Food was as expected pretty good. Lots of choice in the mornings for breakfast. Ranging from bread with cheese ham tomatoes etc to cereal and then a full English breakfast. Also fresh melon. Lunch and dinner was also varied never had the same meal twice... Meals for example included turkey, pork, lamb, chicken, meatballs, fish. With potatoes or chips. And then vegetables to. Salad is also on offer with nice puddings too. Sissi village is very romantic by the harbour and lots of nice restraunts and bars. The jolly Roger was my favourite. And for food the aura restraunt. If the only thing you like to eat is burgers and chips then you might find yourself eating out more. But me and my bf were very satisfied and were full after every meal. The walk to the village took all of two minutes. There were 3 pools in the hotel. One by where people eat was never seemed to be used. However the main one had sun loungers around it and a jacuZi. There was an indoor pool and a very basic gym but you had to pay 3 euros for that a day. Air con you have to pay extra for along with the safe keys. The only downfall was the beach even though it was only a 10 minute walk it was very pebbly. Sun loungers were 3 euros each. I liked this holiday and would go back again. I would prob go the same time as there were not many kids around so was quite quiet and the village was not too packed. I think in august this may have been different. Weather was around 30 degrees. Overall lovely holiday. hope this helps.

• Stayed: September 2010