Sissi Bay Hotel & Spa
  • Breakfast included
Castello Village Resort(Sissi)
$48
$47
Castello Boutique Resort & Spa(Sissi)
$145
$129
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewstropical barthe jolly rogerair concretan nightmare barhalf boardlocal spiritssaladextra costrelaxing holidaychildren's poolalcoholic drinkshard workingjunior suitenearest beachcleaned every daynight life
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2009

You should know that the Sissi Bay Hotel has different grades of rooms, before you book make sure you understand exactly what you are getting. We booked a ‘garden view’ which when we arrived at 12.30am was a room in the centre of the hotel complex with a view of some creepers and the opposite room, there was no insect netting on the window (which was ground level and so anyone could have got in). The air-conditioning (which costs 7 Euros per night which you pay at reception) only works if you have every window and door firmly shut – meaning that you can never leave it on when you are out of the room, so you always have to come back to a sweltering room from a night out.

We asked to move rooms and paid another 10 Euros per night for a sea view room – I would definitely recommend doing this. However our new room had damp in the wardrobe – so much so that we lived out of suitcases for the remaining 10 days of our holiday. There was rust on the bottom of the fridge door which was painted over with a very smelly metal paint on our first day. The phone didn’t work in the room, and despite me asking for it to be replaced it never did work. We only needed the phone once when I wanted to complain to reception that I had just seen a cockroach running across the floor to under the bed & I wanted the cleaner to clean under the beds!

The Hotel in general would have been nice ten years ago, but you get the feeling that it is not very well run or maintained. We found most of the staff to be polite and helpful, but we never saw a Manager – someone you go to for help or to complain to. There were lots of cracked floor tiles around the pools and in the public areas which I felt was a little dangerous. There was ‘entertainment’ inflicted upon us every day which took place around the pool (our room was quite close by so no escape there either). This started at 10am until 1pm, and then started up again at 3pm, we felt it was far too loud and didn’t allow us to relax in the sun without the sounds of some dire ‘80s soundtrack blaring away. Everyday followed the same routine of water gymnastics, music and then evening ‘entertainment’ which frankly was embarrassing.
There is a nice spa area, which was only available at an extra charge (8 Euro to swim in the indoor pool & 3 Euro for the ‘gym) – I wouldn’t bother with the gym, it wasn’t air-conditioned and was very poorly equipped. We did have two massages during our stay, which were excellent (it cost 25 Euros for a back and shoulder massage, but for that price you also got to swim in the indoor pool for as long as you wanted).

Sissi was a lovely quiet and relaxing place to visit, plenty of nice places to eat – one good tip if you are staying in the Hotel half board is that you can swap your evening meal for a voucher at reception to have lunch instead, allowing you to go out in the evening.
I would strongly advise that if you want to go to the Sissi Bay Hotel you should stay self-catering. There are plenty of supermarkets and food shops very close by, and eating out was very reasonable.
The Hotel is definitely not a 4 star hotel, I would say more like an English 2 star.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I've just returned from a week at Sissi and wish I was back there! On arrival we were given a very warm welcome and taken to our room, which was beautifully clean and very spacious.
The food at the hotel was wonderful! It's mainly Greek which I was really pleased about, one of the main reasons I chose this hotel was because of someone moaning in a review that there was no English food! I'm vegetarian and wanted to sample all of the lovely greek food, which I can highly recommend! The meat dishes looked nicely cooked too though and there was a different choice every night. Breakfasts were great too, my partner was especially impressed by the bacon, which he said is usually rubbish abroad.
Beer was fantastic, maybe a bit to easy to drink! Spirits were nice too, no half measures! Soft drinks were good too not watered down! And you can get water on all inclusive, just not in a bottle I had it everyday! Ask for a plastic glass because they're bigger!
All staff members were lovely and very friendly. The lady at the small bar across the road was especially nice, she really took the time to have a proper conversation with you.
Everywhere was spotless and I could not find a single fault with the hotel! It is most definatly a 4* GREEK hotel.
Give the place a try, don't go expecting a 4* hotel as you would find in England otherwise you might be dissapointed. But go with a realistic expectation and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised! I am alreadly planning to book again for next year, hopefully for two weeks next time!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2009

The room was fine & spacious and clean but the hidden cost of the air condiioning 7euro a day was not well advertised in the hotel listings as again the indoor pool and spa all extra costs!!! The food was disgusting and very very cheap the only friut was watermelon which was a shame when you saw the wonderful fruits in the local supermarkets. The staff were not interested in us at all as we were Scottish and we founf the barstaff at the poolside bar very rude on our first day when we asked about snacks and drinks etc! You had to buy water which I felt as all inclusive should be supplied for children etc not just watered down fizzy drinks all the time. We found a lovely place in the village Mama Mia excellent food and wonderful staff. The kids club was a waste of time as they could neither speak to our children or understand the language.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Lovely hotel, good food clean rooms, helpful staff would recommend all inclusive, well worth it. Down side. - owners had dinner in the evening and did not speak to any of the guests, You pay A LOT!!! extra for air conditioning and there was no room service on a sunday.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We were looking for a decent all inclusive hotel where the weather would be warm in May. We chose the Sissy Bay Hotel despite the mixed reviews on this website.

Sissy is a pleasant traditional Greek town with a gorgeous harbour and a stunning church. The hotel is located at the far end of the town a short walk from the 15 or so welcoming restaurants that frame the harbour. A sandy beach is 5 minutes in the opposite direction.

The complex straddles the main street. The self-catering side is where the smart if under-used gym is located. You'll find the library there and a bar run by Jimmy. Geordie Jimmy is the karaoke host and a friendly guy. Over the road is the main hotel. Reception is a grand area, it has a bar which wasn't opened during our stay. The desk is manned 24 hours and the staff are all very professional and friendly with good English. Our room was spotlessly clean, simply furnished with a comfy bed. The room had a fridge which was useful. The small TV had several channels including CNN and BBC World. The small wet room had a shower, WC and sink. Most rooms had a view over a pool or the sea. Our room was in the centre above reception looking on to a part dilapidated store room. This was the only disappointing aspect of the stay.

The hotel is privately owned the the proprietors were around most of the time. The restaurant staff are both courteous and efficient I would highlight Karra, who is a friendly northern lass who speaks perfect Greek. The pool side bar offers snacks, Coffee and drinks. Our AI bracelets entitled us to draught beer, wine, and locally produced Gin, vodka etc. This was valid from 10 am to 11 pm, after this time drinks had to be paid for. The bottled Greek beer cost 3.5 Euro. The bar was staffed by 2 gems, both called Nicos. The daytime one was great fun and having lived in Belfast for a while has a fantastic ear for accents. The night time Nicos was equally entertaining, and was a font of knowledge on most things. My 1 criticism of the AI bar was that tonic water was chargeable.

The food perfectly acceptable. Breakfast always had British elements like fried eggs, bacon or sausage. There was always a super supply of fresh bread and the yoghurt and honey were delicious. Lunch and dinner provided a good choice of pastas, Greek dishes and roasts. There was plenty of salad items too and always a fine selection of sweets.

We had a great relaxing holiday due to the staff and would recommend the hotel for its excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple