“Brillient Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Sissi
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Brillient Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

My advise is don't believe everything you read in these reviews. Unfortunately some people have a different agenda to the rest of us who just want a rest and / or to have fun. I am amazed at what some people will do to try and get a free holiday!
Anyway, from my experience you must read between the lines and make a judgement based on a number of recent reviews. You will find that if one review is poor a few others will follow which are just as scathing since these reviewers were suffering with 'Lemmings Syndrome'. A condition where people meet in the hotel and write reviews together within a few days of arriving and can I suggest, get great pleasure out of whinging and encouraging others to do the same. Please avoid these people if you want a good holiday.
Fortunatly this hotel hasn't had to suffer these reviewers for quite a while and believe me it does not deserve scathing reviews.
This hotel is not perfect but having stayed in the best hotels in the world, in my experience no hotels ever are.
However, I can say with confidence and without hesitation that this traditionally set out Cretan hotel is excellent value for money.
All I wanted was to relax and take in the sun's rays BUT I was pleasantly surprised to get, free of charge, a breathtaking view out to a crystal clear blue sea. A 180 degree turn and I have the mountains stretching up to the clear blue cloudless sky. Breathtaking! Five minutes walk into the village will take me to the most picturesque harbour you will only see in travel brochures of on Hollywood film sets. Then to top it all a sunset to die for.
When I go on holiday I want a relaxed atmospheare, friendly staff, decent food and somewhere to sleep. You get all this at the Sissi Bay Hotel.
From my experience you will not get more friendly and helpful staff than at this hotel, as long as you treat them with respect.
A message to some Eastern European countries, please do not treat the staff like slaves and never ever click your fingers to attract attention. This is considered very insulting.
Anyway, with that off my chest I know I am bound to miss some names but a special mention for the hard working Kara (the Greek speaking English girl who is always good for a translation), Jimmy (the Geordie barman at the Tropical bar) Daytime Nico (smiler), Nightime Noco (the best Raki distiller on the island..........he says) and the ever reliable Joseph (ephie) and Demitri.
The rooms are basic, unless you go for an upgrade, but are more than adequate with a TV, which I don't need on holiday, and Air Conditioning which is essential in July and August for anyone from the UK and available for an extra charge which is clearly stated in the literature. I find it amazing how some holiday makers suddenly go blind when reading the brochures.
The food is perfectly adequate and you will always find something to eat. If you are put off that you might not get chips everyday then you really are in the wrong place.
This hotel really is the place to relax but if you want entertainment all day long you might be disappointed. I find entertainment is always difficult for hotels with so many nationalities and tastes but the Cretan Night is a must. A small charge is required for this but pay up and enjoy, you won't regret it. If you want 'lively' then Malia is just a few miles away but that is perhaps for the under thirties. You could however, join Jimmy at the Tropical Bar (known as Jimmy's bar) and join in the quiz (don't take it too seriously, it's a laugh) or you could sing a song on Karaoke night. Jimmy and Kara (yes the waitress who seems to be everywhere) will always sing you a song if you just want to listen. Anyway, get up and have a go afterall Karaoke is all about having fun not how good you are at singing and I can guarentee you will ALWAYS get a cheer.
If that's not for you try the sports bar next door called the Jolly Roger run by Dave and Daniele
from Bristol or for a late finish with a great atmospheare try Peggy Gordon's, the Irish Bar which is not only open till about 5.00 am but is also run by Cav who is a real Irishman which is most unusual.
If your skin needs a rest from the sun try hiring a car for a couple of days and visit other places on the island which must include a trip to Spinalonga. You will have to park your car and get the boat over to see the last Lepar Island to be vacated in Western Europe. Crete is a very big island and will need many holidays here to see it all which is probably why I met so many returnees.
Finally this hotel is excellant value for money. I met someone who paid £800 for 7 nights for two people All Inclusive. Working that out in my head I figured that the hotel must have been paid only about £30 per person per night for 3 meals each day and drinks all day until 11.00pm. In the UK a budget hotel would charge between £100 - £130 per day which is incredible. I understand that the staff earn half of the UK's minimum wage per hour to work in that heat. So I left a small tip of 10 Euros for the dining room staff and another for the cleaners and bar staff. Afterall that wasn't a lot to ask for the hard work and effort put in by all those staff to make my holiday so enjoyable.
Of course if you don't go All Inclusiive you should visit one of the many Taverners in the
harbour and lets face it they need our money. At the end of the meal I will pay and leave a tip so why should I not do the same if I go AI?
Anyway, book a holiday in Crete, in Sissi and at the Sissi Bay Hotel. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: All rooms are adequate as long as you have a sitting out area and you can see anything but a brick w...
3 Thank Colin D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I read all the mixed reviews before booking. I was pleased with the level of cleanliness of the ground floor room, which we had requested. The staff were friendly and kind and the food was good, not 4* by any means, but we never went hungry. I knew about the air-conditioning, safe-charge and the curfew for all-inclusive drinks....prior to booking....so we had no costly surprises.

My mum has mobility challenges and the staff were kind and helpful. Joseph in the restaurant/bar had a twinkle in his eye....and despite the language barrier....he and my mum had a good laugh.

The masseuse gave a good, deep massage and took her time to ensure you didn't feel rushed. The objective of the holiday was sun, sea and relaxation ....and that is exactly what we got.

The location is lovely, the village tavernas need business....so if all-inclusive isn't your thing there are a few tavernas to choose from. The hotel isn't new, but the facilities were fairly good. If you don't have children....opt to stay on the beach side of the complex and there is a child-free pool for a fairly quiet and peaceful environment.

Mum still talks about the holiday with great affection. It is a warm and welcoming hotel for family and couples who aren't on honeymoon!

People are always looking for a bargain....however hotels need a decent level of income to pay wages and maintain facilities....I came away believing we got value for money....and the extra value came from the kindness and friendliness of the hotel staff, particularly the front of office staff.

Thanks for a lovely time.

Room Tip: We travelled in May/June, when it wasn't too hot, we also had a ground floor room near the child...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HappyLadyLondon
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Lots to praise, few gripes but a week for two all inclusive for under 800 pounds was pretty good; the coach journey is murder it takes more than two hours to do a 40 min trip with all the drop offs and after a long day and in middle of night its pretty awful: we were given a coldplate on arrival but initially were disappointed in room as it looked tatty and gloomy; however in morning, its basically just needing a paint and new bedspeads and shower curtain; it was actually spotless and had a fab hot shower and was cleaned with new towels every day except sunday; the food was perfectly adequate varied and hot and i dont know what more i can say except i would have liked scrambled egg more than twice in week: the waitresses are mainly young and really friendly and bar staff great esp nicos who had me in kinks with his scottish accents; as everyone else says air con should not be an extra as this adds 56 euros to a weeks stay; sissi is lovely, a beautiful harbour and we liked hemingways bar which has gt music friendly british hosts and a huge selection of paperbacks for a charity donation;there are plenty of pools and sunbeds but we were right beside the brolleys out back, couldnt be handier but mucky after sprinklers and has to dry out; definitely going back to sissi and very likely this hotel but not on coach!

Room Tip: One facing onto brolleys at back, very handy
Ruthin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We ve visited crete for our honeymoon and were a bit wary
However, we were pleasantly.surprised. The rooms can vary, we rejected the first room we were offered.because it had no balcony that wr had requested specifically. The hotel staff.had no problem giving us a different room.
We did.half board, and found that we.didn't need any more.than that. Breakfast is a buffet, as is.dinner. Menu is varied with good selection for all tastes.
Staff are friendly, rooms.are clean, lovely pools, three in all
No complaint, we may be back.here in future

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank A1bossywoman
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife, me and our son we have just spent a marvelles holidays in Sissi Bay Hotel since 8th uptill 22nd of July. It was possible because of your nicest treatment we could ever expect. Thank you so much indeed. All the staff was sympathetic, smailing and helpful. Marvelles meal was served. That's why we felt like a king, queen and prince of life.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Although with no beach this hotel has a lot to offer both families and couples. All the staff we came into contact with were friendly, fun and professional. The rooms are basic but very clean and modern and we had a great view of the sea. There is a choice of 3 pools, so you can relax at the adults only pool or brave the livelier pool on the other side of the road. The hotel has an interesting layout with clusters of rooms interspersed with flowers and greenery. The Cretan evening is an additional 10 Euros per person but well worth the extra cost. The food was very good with great choice. However, the food on the other nights was not what you would expect from a 4* hotel.
Sissi is a small but lovely village with plenty of bars and restaurants and a delightful harbour. There are a couple of beaches within walking distance but I would recommend water shoes as otherwise your entry into the water is not very dignified! Hiring a car is probably also a good idea as there is a bus stop about 40 minutes walk on the main road. We were told you don't how where the bus is going until you arrive, so could be an adventure!
All in all a good holiday with much laughter and good company.

Wesham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The hotel was really convenient for access to the centre of Sissi, which is picturesque with a lovely harbour for swimming in.
There was always plenty of variety of food available at the self service buffet, and was well cooked. There was always a barbecue option. If the choice was not to our taste, there were numerous good value restaurants within a short walk.
The staff were always very friendly, although they may have seemed a bit standoffish at first. They all worked hard to keep the entertainment, such as it was, flowing. There was always the option of a stroll to Sissi for other forms of entertainment. There was a premium for the cretan night but the food provided made it well worth while.
Our room was cleaned daily and fresh towels provided regularly by very friendly cleaning staff.
Overall we had a really lovely holiday, and it was good value for money.

Room Tip: It would be well worth having a sea view. We didn't use the spa, so can only mark it as average...
1 Thank John M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sissi
Maritimo Beach Hotel
Hersonissos Village Hotel
Hersonissos Village Hotel
#53 of 178 in Hersonissos
Elounda Water Park Residence

Been to Sissi Bay Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!