“Clean, quiet and relaxing”

Angela Suites Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Sissi
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Short Review:

Furnished to a decent standard
Very clean and well maintained
Couples should pick a room over a suite
3 star apartments are good
Go for B&B over half or full board
Good for couples but seemed family friendly too
Not much for older kids to do in this hotel or Sissi in general - think carefully before taking older kids and teens.

Long Review:

We booked this hotel very late in the day (5 days before departure) using Travel Republic, and got a slightly reduced room rate. On arriving, we were advised by the Manager that there was a problem with our room in that owing to our late booking, they did not have a double room available the following night & would have to accommodate us in the apartments attached to the hotel for a night - as such, we were given a free upgrade to a suite for the remainder of our stay, and a free evening meal (we booked B&B only), which I felt was good recompense for the minor hassle. This also means that, perhaps uniquely, I can review the self catering apartment, double room, & suite in the course of a weeks stay!

Firstly the self catering apartment - considering these are 3* rather than the 5* the hotel itself claims, and given previous experiences of "Mediterranean 3 star" I was pleasantly surprised. It was very clean & well maintained. The furnishings were in excellent condition & recently decorated, air con was fitted in the bedroom & worked well, and the main balcony (whilst not having much of a view) was lovely with wooden railings and well maintained flower boxes. There was a small separate balcony to the bedroom as well. There was a key operated safe & a small TV/DVD unit. The kitchenette had a reasonable range of cutlery & crockery, a fridge & a 2 ring electric hob. The one downside was definitely the bathroom, which was so small that I couldn't stand in the shower with the curtain closed without wearing it as a cloak! At 6 foot 1 and 15 stone, I am probably slightly larger than average, but not outlandishly so!

The double room & suite are quite alike, except that the suite was longer and had a sliding glass divider with a separate good quality sofa bed. The suites have a ground level entrance with a small patio area for each suite & a couple of small pools outside for the use of the suites. There are 2 of these small pools; the one by our suite was in shade for 95% of the day and therefore sadly cold & completely unused. The patio areas and pools for the suites are not self contained and are overlooked by the stairs to the rooms and therefore not very private at all.

My advice if you are going as a couple is definitely to go for the room rather than the suite, which although smaller, had a nice balcony overlooking the main pool that was far more private.

The suite came with complimentary spa robes and slippers which the room did not, but you can hire these for e2.50 per day, so not a major enticement! The fittings in the room/suite were to a high standard with a small flat screen TV offering a couple of English language news channels (I found Sky News & CNN). The air con was remote controlled and worked well, the decor and lighting was minimalist and stylish, the fixtures and fittings were of good quality and there was a very secure electronically coded safe. The mini bar was ice cold, although the tariff was such that I drank nothing from it, and smuggled a few cold cans in from the local supermarket when I fancied a private beer. The management should think about this seriously - if they reduced the prices I feel sure they would sell more.

The bathroom was spacious and well appointed - the shower worked well and was over a standard bath in each case - I would have preferred a more luxurious shower and no bath, or some type of "luxury" bath that there was a point to having, but this is a minor note! In terms of sleeping, the rooms were superbly well insulated from outside noise. The suite bed was a king size, and I think the room was as well. Another small minor moan here - there were no spare pillows in the room, maybe they would have been supplied upon request, but that is not the point, and I ended up folding my one pillow in half to sit up and read - not a major niggle, but a small point of detail!

The public areas including the bar, main pool etc... were very nice, beautifully maintained, and not overly busy - it was never hard to get a sunbed. The drinks & snacks are a little expensive, but not ridiculously so - there was a very good range of soft drinks, which pleased my partner who is virtually tee total, and the range of alcoholic drinks was also good, which pleased me! Prices were maybe 10-30% higher than the bars in the village, which I didn't feel was excessive and we used the bar regularly as a result. The barmen were both nice lads and served the drinks well, always using the right glasses, the right amount of ice etc... and as a former bar manager myself, I appreciated this.

There were a few li-lo's and some books kicking about for general use, which I thought was really nice & we left a couple of books we took with us to continue this. The ambiance around the pool in the day was very relaxed - very little "social chat" between guests, so if you want a quiet and private getaway, this is a good place for you. There were a few families there with children, who were all well exceptionally behaved (far more than I was at any of their ages I'm sure) and none were of the "wailing banshee spoilt chav" variety. It was getting busier with families as we left, so avoid peak school holidays if you want a really quiet time.

The hotel has a cosmopolitan range of customers - I heard at least 3 other languages being spoken by the guests, and as such, I understand that their food offering must cater to all of these - the one other area of disappointment at breakfast was the quality of the meat - both hot (sausages, bacon) and cold (ham etc...), this seemed to be of about the cheapest variety available. However, both brown and white sliced bread was available for making toast, so something has changed recently from a previous review!

If there was one big, massive & unforgivable let down about the place, it was the breakfast drinks - there was only one type of "juice" and that was some type of orange squash, and the coffee was vile, weak and quite possibly instant. I stay in UK chain hotels for work a few times a year, generally in the £45-£90 a night bracket, and have never been served anything other than ground coffee, and had a choice of juices, which were always pure juice - if the likes of Travel Lodge and Premier Inn can get this right... Thankfully, there is a Greek coffee shop 300 metres down the road, which was my first port of call every morning for a freshly made Greek coffee at a bargain 1 euro!

I was glad we picked B&B over half board as there was plenty of local choice for food; "Mike's Place" was definitely the pick of Sissi cuisine as much of the food is grown organically by the owner on his farm. Buffet dinner at the Angela can be had for 12 euros, which is cheap enough to not bother booking half board and giving yourself options. We ate at the Angela once, on BBQ night - the BBQ food was nice, the main buffet food was OK - nothing special. If I was running the place, I would be tempted to up both the standard & price of the cuisine - if it was 50% more expensive but of a 50% higher standard, we'd have eaten there more than once rather than walking into the village.

In terms of service, the staff were pleasant and polite and spoke good English - 2 of them were English, which definitely helps in that respect I'd imagine! The service never disappointed, but neither did it "wow" us - I never had a magic moment when I thought "this is the life".

In summary, the fixtures and fittings are about on a par with a UK 4 star, the service is on a par with a good branch of your local Premier Inn, and the food is a bit basic - do *NOT" go to this hotel expecting a "true 5 star experience" - and this is not me being harsh or picky or hard to please, I think I have read this about every Greek Island 5 star hotel? What you have to bear in mind is that you can get a week at the Angela for the cost of a weekend in a UK 5 star, so go, like we did, expecting to get what you pay for, and you will be more than happy with your stay. It is a spotlessly clean, tranquil and relaxing place to stay on the outskirts of a nice quiet village.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rob373
There are newer reviews for Angela Suites Boutique Hotel

Reviewed July 20, 2010

We have just returned from a week's holiday in the Angela boutique hotel in Crete, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room was very satisfactory - the bed was really comfortable! We spent most days by the pool, but we also hired a car to see other parts of this beautiful island (Milatos, Elounda, Ag Nik, etc). All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

2  Thank TSE186338
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We were Initially booked into one of the VIP suites with shared pool at the back of hotel which was really nice, but were moved after a day to a luxury room (room 304) up on the 1st Floor overlooking the pool/restaurant area. This room had a separate lounge area ,and is not overlooked and was nice and quiet. The hotel is not 5* by UK standards, but a good 4* , it was extremely clean, and the staff were very polite and helpful. The hotel's location is excellent , a few minutes walk into Sissi ,and a five minute walk to a nearby beach. We stayed on a B & B basis , the breakfasts were fine. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant in the evening, but were told by other guests who did that the food was adequate, but not great. I would not recommend going full board as there are numerous places to eat out in the evening , we spent on average 30 euros per night for the two of us to eat and drink which I think is not too bad. Sissi not a lively resort , it is a lovely fishing village which has not been overdeveloped , and retains some rustic charm. We will definitely return , and would stay again at Angela Suites Boutique Hotel.

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We actually stayed in the 3* apartments across the road from the main hotel which is 5*. We'd say bare in mind that greek 5* probably isn't mainland europe 5*. We don't want to sound negative as we had a lovely time here. It's just fact. Let us explain. The hotel itself was gorgeous. Very clean, friendly staff and good facilities. Basically you have a choice, if food selection and quality is important to you then this possibly isn't the hotel for you, certainly on a full board basis. However, if you're just after a feed of simple food with not much choice then it would be perfect. Personally we prefer to eat out of an evening so it really wasn't a problem for us.

One positive and negative point for us was upon arrival we found the shower head holder to be missing and the shower head laid on the floor. I was pleased that as soon as we asked them to sort it they did it immediately. However, it would have been nice for it to have just been fixed before they had new guests in there.

All in all these are quite minor points and would recommend anybody stayed at this hotel or their self catering appartments.

As for Sissi itself we are in our early 30's and whilst our clubbing days are well behind us. The resort was very quiet on an evening. This was good as it made for a relaxing holiday but if we were being ultra greedy it would have been nice if it had been a little more lively.

Jolly Roger bar is a must. Lovely hosts in Danielle and Dave!!!!

Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed in Sissi nearly 12 years ago for our honeymoon, and I'm glad to say that fortunately it hasn't been over developed. In fact I hope that it stays pretty much as it is now. It still has the feeling of a greek village and not some purpose built tourist spot. We have just returned from a weeks stay in a luxury suite with private balcony. From the moment we arrived to leaving we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Our room was great not overly plush but very comfy with a seperate lounge and large balcony over looking the pool/outside restaurant area (room 304) no immediate neighbours above or to the sides which was great. All the staff were very friendly - in particular Manos - great guy.
I will admit perhaps this is not a 5star as we would see in the UK, (4star I would say) but you have to remember that countries grade differently. If it was a 5 star UK rating then you would be paying double the price to stay here surely that gives you an incline of what to expect - I think the cost of staying in this hotel is amazing for what you get. All the public areas were immaculate, and the pool/garden area were too - not a weed or thing out of place. Plenty of sunbeds and they were very comfy. The choice at breakfast was not the best I have seen, but there was a reasonable choice of hot food to choose from. Noted previous comment re Toast at breakfast - when we were there every day there was a dome covered tray by the toast machine with white and brown bread in it. No its not your Robinsons sliced bread - we are in Greece! - its sliced from a traditionally baked one - and they were always topping it up. We never ate in the evening so I cannot comment, but I do admit that some guests did say that the food was not very good in the evenings. To be honest I wouldn't bother with half board anyway - there are numerous tavernas to choose from in the village, all serving good food (we didn't have one bad meal) and not expensive at all. 2 starters, 2 mains, half litre of wine, 2 large beers - on average 27 euros - approx £22 pound - I think thats good. Jolly Roger (british bar if thats your thing) is a great little bar by the sea front run by an English couple - very nice indeed - great sunsets and great cocktails at 4 euros each.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

This is by no means a 5 Star hotel. A good 3 Star yes. The choice of food in the buffet really very very poor, vegetables overcooked, poor cuts of meat swamped in gravy and dessert nearly inexistent consisting of very low standard ice cream and some minute cakes (only one variety)and no coffee or tea after dinner. Your used plates are not taken away during the dinner making the tables messy and unsightly. The cold meats at breakfast were the cheapest you can get in the market and worst of all there were no sliced bread for toasting, they put out a loaf of bread cut in chunks which was very unsuitable for toasting and once it was finished you had to ask and wait for them to put another one out, in short the standard of the restaurant was very low and we felt cheated for having had paid for a 5 Star hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank BlancaOxford
Reviewed June 2, 2010

My partner and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Angela Suites Boutique Hotel in Sissi, Crete. This was a fabulous hotel, the high standard of this hotel was complimented by its staff, who were all very helpful and friendly. I would say that this hotel is more geared towards couples or families with older children. There are 3 pools, one main one and 2 smaller ones. The main pool has a very small childrens pool. There was an abundance of sun loungers and each one had its own parasol. There is a gym, steam room and sauna, although with the temperature reaching 35 degrees we didnt feel the need!! we were on a bed and breakfast basis and the breakfast was great, loads of choice for everyone. If I were to return to Crete I would definately look at staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wmcorbie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sissi
Castello Village Resort
Galaxy Hotel Iraklio
#3 of 58 in Heraklion
SENTIDO Vasia Resort & Spa
Castello Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Angela Suites Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!