“Fabulous”

Castello Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sissi
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 2.30 in the morning due to a problem landing in Heraklion. A cold plate of cheese and meat had been left in our room for us, which we felt was a nice touch and very welcome. There was also a bowl of fresh fruit, a complimentary bottle of wine and water- also much appreciated. We were very pleased with the room which was quite spacious, clean and modern, but it was the bathroom that we loved. The shower was wonderful - as large as a bath, with two different heads and very powerful. Nice balcony with table and chairs which looked out onto a church and from the side to the pool and garden area. Lovely lighting of an evening in the pool and garden. It is a nice boutique style hotel, modern and kept very clean and we were very happy with it.
Lovely pool area and garden to relax in, which isn't overlooked from the road due to the landscaping.
The food in the restaurant was good but not overwhelming although there was always a good selection, apart from the main courses, which comprised only 3 each night plus a vegetarian. A grumble was that the wine started from 22 euros (somewhat pricey even by hotel standards) and you weren't allowed to save it for the next night in the restaurant - something we have always done previously. You had to take it away from the restaurant and drink in your room. Other than that you had to buy it by the glass if you aren't big drinkers and just like some wine with your meal.
Staff in the hotel were all very friendly and offered good service.
Sissi is a lovely village - quite small and not much going on,but we knew that before we came and that's why we chose it. There are quite a lot of bars and restaurants, especially in the harbour area and the usual tourist shops offering local clothes and crafts.
We discovered two nice tavernas on the main road (as they call it) going in and out of Sissi so if you fancy a lunch or dinner out I would recommend trying them. Unfortunately we only picked up a card from the second taverna which is called Neromilos but they are both nice. Neromilos did seem to be a little more welcoming however and also offered you starters and desert on the house, which were delicious - as was all the food. To get to the main road you need to turn left out of the hotel and walk down to the corner where there is a car hire shop. You then turn left there and it is approx 10 minutes walk just past a field with goats and sheep in.
All in all it was a lovely holiday and a place I would certainly recommend and go back to.

2  Thank janice-g-7

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This hotel is beautiful. The staff are switched on all the time, trained very well and work together in a subtle and professional way. The room we stayed in was number 302 with a pool which was very nice and had a superb view of the Church opposite which I attended for Sunday service. The food quality is excellent,and cannot be criticised as like a lot of restaurants in Greece spices and seasoning are not used to a great extent anyway. The wine list is very good, could possibly do with a couple of guest wines introduced every week, as an alternative. The ambience is very very nice, as there is not any intrusive music, only a whisper coming from the bar during the day. At night the hotel is lit superbly and makes you feel that you are in a very special place, with the bar changing its music to a little more upbeat. Cocktails are excellent as are all the beers and wines. During our stay I had a full Cretan massage with olive oil, which was relaxing and made me fall asleep. The spa facilities are excellent and you must use them. The resort is quiet which we chose as we live a life of seeing many people each day, in our work, so to cut this down to fewer meets with our fellow homo sapiens was ideal for us! During our stay we experienced a Greek night which was very good, but unfortunately missed the romantic evening as we arrived late Sunday night and left early Sunday evening. Many Hotel staff bid us farewell on departure including the Pastry Chef from Volos(who makes simple, delicious desserts, that he revealed to me each night as I was intrigued) top man! The Manager who is lovely and runs a very calm,relaxing, meditative and chilled Hotel that we will return to in the near future also bid us farewell, a very nice thought and touch indeed! Just to close,when we were there the management hosted an early evening soirée for repeat customers, as there were five couples who had previously stayed, this is done regularly we found out, and if they don't have a collective of people they offer something to the repeat customer anyway, a very nice touch! This Hotel deserves it Five star status in everyway!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a pool as you will find additional space with sun loungers as well as being able...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank anthonym535
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I would really like to give this hotel a 3.5, but in the spirit of rounding up (and my travel companion's opinion...) it's a 4. Positives: the staff, the food choice at breakfast & dinner, the price. Definitely an A+ for hospitality. Negatives: the room - I do not think the rooms are up to 5* standard - we were given two tiny towels, one pillow each & no conditioner. The shower flooded the bathroom every time used, it also seems to attract many a dead bug. Also, the "Private Pool" was much smaller than expected - about the size of a hot tub. The rest of the hotel was nice enough & the staff are great. The scenery is not quite what I expected - lots of unfinished buildings (sign of the times) & Sissi was overall less charming than what I'd read. The nice beach is a bit of a walk, but no issues accessing - walk across the cove to Robinson's hotel where they will rent you beach chairs & umbrellas. Spa treatment (massage) defo left something to be desired. Overall it was a lovely holiday but w/ a bit of disappointment.

3  Thank Travel_Bunny4444
Reviewed May 17, 2014

The main reason we chose this hotel was because of all of the previous reviews, which we now know to be untrue.
Firstly the room(and to be fair, we can only comment on the one we stayed in) was more Premier Travel Inn(3 star) than 5 star. We went to the hotel to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary and requested a double room prior to our arrival. We were given a twin room that had two small uncomfortable single beds. The room also had a single chair. So when we arrived late at night we were very disappointed. The hotel had left two plates of cold meat and cheese, but it wasn't easy eating this balanced on your legs sat on the edge of the bed(the hotel obviously didn't think this thru). We did approach reception regarding the room but was told there was nothing else available.
The balcony was only just large enough for two chairs and a small table, no sun loungers. The view we had was across waste land that locals use to burn rubbish, with unfinished houses at the end of the waste land. This meant we had no inclination to sit out there looking at this view.
The hotel has only one dining room(not a restaurant, as you serve yourselves). Men are asked to wear trousers and shoes for dinner, implying it is an a la cart service. However for both breakfast and dinner it is 'grab a plate and help yourself' arrangement. The only time you are waited on is for the main course at dinner, which a choice between with a meat or fish course. This to me is not a five star dinning experience.
There is only one 'bar' area, which in effect is just a double sided counter. This is situated in a corridor, with a number of benches actually in the corridor. During our stay we only saw a few guests using the bar as the position of it didn't make you feel comfortable.
The swimming pool was also not used very much by the guests as it is positioned in front of the 'bar' area and is there purely for look and effect as at night it is illuminated.
Reception staff were always happy and friendly, but did not help with any of our queries.
The position of the hotel is very poor. It does not have a sea view and if you use their sun beds in the garden you are just surrounded by trees with no view. The hotel is surrounded by apartments and supermarkets with a church on one side.

11  Thank Stephen E
NIKOS K, Γενικός Διευθυντής at Castello Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Mr Stephen E.,
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays and for taking time to write this review, which is very important to us.
We deeply regret that we could not meet your expectations. We hope you will permit us to emphasize a few points, please:
(1) Your reservation was for a Superior Room (which is spacious, approx. 30 square metres), but you did not give any indication that you were celebrating your wedding anniversary, nor did you request a double bed. It is our custom to make special arrangements for such occasions, and if you had contacted our reception desk (regretfully you did not), we would had offered you a bottle of sparkling wine, flowers, and fresh fruits without charge, and a room with a double bed would had been arranged for you immediately.
(2) Your arrival at the hotel was at about 03:00 am, and in order for you to have something to eat on arrival, we prepared a cold meal for you consisting of different cuts of meat, hams, cheese, and a variety of salads, together with a bottle of wine, a bottle of water, and fresh fruits. As you mentioned in your review, there was a table with two chairs on the balcony of your room, where you could enjoy your late dinner drinking a glass of wine.
(3) Your room was in a very quiet and sunny location. Some of the rooms on the ground floor have a terrace and can accommodate sun loungers, and the balcony you had was approximately 3.50 x 1.65 metres. Exactly in front of your balcony is a row of palm trees. As the hotel is located in a real Cretan village, it borders in part on uncultivated fields as well as freshly painted local buildings. We feel this is part of the charm of the location, and that it contributes to the overall atmosphere of seclusion and calm.
(4) With regard to bed sizes, the two single beds in your room were each 0.94 X 2.00 metres, which is bigger than the standard European size and bigger even than the English size of 0.90 X 2.00 metres. So these were hardly ‘small beds’, as you put it. Also, as already noted if you had informed us that you required a double bed, we would have arranged it.
(5) We have one restaurant, which serves buffet breakfast and dinner. At dinner the salads, warm and cold starters, and some of the desserts are presented buffet style. The main dish is a choice of four different dishes (two of meat, one of fish, and one vegetarian), which is a la carte and served at the table. Our pastry chef also prepares special sweets on the spot every evening. The dress code is not strict since this is a resort hotel, but we feel that wearing long trousers and shoes for dinner shows respect for fellow guests.
(5) Our Aroma Bar is famous among our guests. As well as the bar itself (which is 8.90 metres in length), there are many tables and chairs to the side of the bar around the pool, and there are also a few tables with comfortable chairs and small couches for guests who prefer not to sit at the bar. I am posting links to three photos of the Bar from our website , which clearly show that it is not placed on a corridor, as you claim. It is merely that in order to reach to some of the hotel rooms, one needs to pass by the bar. None our other guests has mentioned this as a problem.
(6) During your stay the pool area was not much used owing to the weather conditions, but the indoor heated pool was visited frequently by our guests.
(7) Our receptionists are always happy to assist guests in any way they can, and if a guest has any special request or wish, the Room Division Manager, the Food & Beverage Manager, and myself will always attend to it and find a solution. In addition, if you had any problem during your stay you could have contacted your representative from Olympic Holidays, who works in conjunction with us and would done their utmost to solve any problem, major or minor, you might have had.
(8) Finally, and most importantly, we would like to stress that all the reviews of our hotel on TripAdvisor are genuine and unsolicited. You can easily confirm this by contacting any of the reviewers yourself by email and asking them about their experience at our resort. We have no doubt that they will confirm what they have written is true and that our resort genuinely deserved the high praise they gave it. To date Castello Boutique Resort & Spa has 208 excellent reviews, all unsolicited and written by satisfied guests.
We do appreciate that, for some reason, you did not enjoy your time with us, and that concerns us. But we do not feel that your review reflects an objective assessment of our hotel.
Once again we thank you sincerely for your review, and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you once again to Castello Boutique Resort & Spa.

Nikos Kritsotakis
Castello Boutique Resort and Spa

<a href="http://www.castelloboutique.com/restaurants-bars/castelo-1878-50"> photo1</a>
<a href="http://www.castelloboutique.com/restaurants-bars/castelo-0836-44">photo2</a>
<a href="http://www.castelloboutique.com/restaurants-bars/castelo-0645-41">photo3</a>

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is as good as it gets unless you're in the Claridges budget bracket; okay so it's not the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton, but if you get it at the right price then you should be more than satisfied. I had room 415 which has a glass balcony cantilevered out from the side of the building on the east side facing the church and has views of the mountains to the south on one side and the pool and the sea to the north on the other. The room had the usual twin beds masquerading as a double plus a sofa and ample desk and storage space. Tea and coffee kettle and mini-fridge provided. Furnishings were tasteful and in good repair. (See pictures posted)
The ensuite bathroom was spacious enough and well provided with a large 'rainshower' shower stall and a whirlpool bath separate, however it was also the source of two minor niggles in that no bathrobe was provided (as it should have been) and when this was reported to the front desk I was treated with distrust until the maid verified none had been placed there, also the bath's mechanism wasn't working and the part had to be ordered from Athens (as usual) and so that was a bit of a disappointment.
The buffet style breakfast had oodles of choice and was of good quality, as was the dinner menu. Unfortunately, if the waiter is to be believed, the Greek government tax office won't allow you to buy a bottle of wine and either store it with the kitchen or bring it back to table from your room (unlike in Italy), so if you're travelling solo you're stuck with house wine by the glass.

The property is smart and meant for grown-ups (no children's pool / no play area except the lawn / no dreaded Animation) as the sister property across the road, Castello Village, which is beachfront, has all of that and appears family orientated.
The Spa area is on a lower level and so has no natural light but Georgiana provides an exquisite service and to stay here and not get a massage or treatment from her would be a waste of a superb resource! (I used to live in California and worked in a world class spa there, so feel qualified to comment). The spa pool is at a cooler temperature than I would have preferred but is probably more therapeutic for it.
One couple I spoke with thought both the hotel and the village was too quiet but personally I thought it was perfect - there's plenty of other noisy places for those who want nightlife!
When I go back (and I will go back for sure) I'll be more prepared for the hotel's policy of pre-authorising your credit card 14 days out from arrival. In my case, my bank had issued a new card between my making the reservation (over 6 months prior) and my actual holiday, so the card number was defunct - which led to a stream of emails between myself and the management, who seemed to be quite sure that I was going to be a 'no-show' and they wouldn't be able to grab the full price of the booking as a cancellation fee from my account - despite my repeated assurances that I was on my way and would pay in full on arrival. Maybe they have a problem with no-shows, maybe their cashflow is weak, but whatever the reason I wasn't too chuffed with the assumption that I was probably going to swindle them!

Room Tip: There are 48 rooms total, including several split level suites with private plunge pools; most rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank wideawake
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I can't express enough how wonderful this hotel is. The staff are so friendly and are always genuinely happy to help you. The location is great, with a supermarket next door and only a few minutes walk from the sea. The hotel itself is lovely inside and out, the food is great, and once again the staff really make your stay the best it can be. They're funny, lovely, and welcoming all the time. I really did not want to leave! I loved my stay and the people so much I will be coming back to spend my birthday here next year! I cannot recommend this place enough, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Nikki F
Reviewed May 11, 2014

this was our third stay in the past 12 months and I have to say this place never fails to deliver.
this a small boutique hotel with less than 50 rooms and the rooms etc are no better than most 5 star hotels in Greece.
what really stands out are the staff. from the cleaners to the top management these people are 10 star at what they do.
George in the restaurant always finds time for a friendly chat yet has everything under control even at the busiest of times. most days we would have breakfast at around 7.30am and most days would be alone in the restaurant as most people seem to turn up between 9-10am. Due to the fact George starts at 6am and likes to mingle with the guests it would be nice to see a few more people up a little earlier to keep him company.
Angelo in the bar is a total headcase. god knows how he manages to run the bar as well as he does as most of his time is taken with socialising with the guests. The cocktails are superb and the atmosphere around the bar in the evening is always good, and this is all down to angelo.

Sissi itself is a small village and most of the restaurants and bars surround a lovely harbour. If you want a restful holiday this is the place for you as it is Greece at its best although you are only 5 miles away from the likes of Malia if you want to party. I would like to also give a big thankyou to all the staff at Remezzo's restaurant for probably the best food in the area and also the staff at ormos café which is a lovely spot to sit and watch the world go by.

We will be returning again in September and would just like to say to Rodica, mr nikkos, angelo, George and everyone at the hotel.....THANKYOU.........

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be superb although our preference would be a room overlooking the pool and gardens...
3  Thank tracysmith3693
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sissi
Castello Village Resort
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#2 of 175 in Rethymnon
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete

Been to Castello Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!