“Fantastic holiday”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Sissi
Ipswich
“Fantastic holiday”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We've just come back from an amazing week spent at the Castello. Although our airport transfer took about 2 hours longer than it should have done, being greeted by Angelo with a welcome drink and shown to our fantastic room meant it was quickly forgotten!

Food in the room upon arrival was a lovely touch and overall, our room was faultless. Walls are a bit thin but no real issues and the beds are SO comfortable! Only tiny gripe was that we could have done with more hangers – but we probably took too many clothes!

Pool area and bar are both brilliant, the barman Angelo is a star. So lovely and friendly, although don't let him make you a shot. They're extremely powerful!
It's a lovely chilled hotel, but as it gets busier throughout the season they could do with some more sun beds around the pool (and the grass does get a little muddy so keep your flip flops on!) All the staff are great and we had lunch round by the pool a couple of times which was really nice and plentiful.

Having the supermarket next door was handy and Sissi itself is perfect. We ate out every night and were spoilt for choice. Please please please go to Remezzo. It's on the marina and the owner, Dan, is just so lovely and the food is delicious. We would have eaten there every night if we didn’t think it would be a bit sad! Miniature Golf is also fun and a good way to spend an evening. There's a great cocktail bar on the marina also, two in fact!

We were genuinely sad to come home and were very envious of our new friends, Tara & Chris, who still had another week at Castello to enjoy (hope Chris eventually recovered from the hangover!!!)

Emma & Tom

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
1 Thank Secretary-Aurora

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
nottingham
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Absolutely amazing hotel from reception to rooms to pool to food to staff. We had the most amazing time, enjoyed very reasonable bar prices and loved the food. We don't usually opt for half board, but did here and enjoyed the wide and varied offerings, much better than most we had in Sissi harbour.

Enjoyed the laid back, cosmopolitan atmosphere the Hotel achieves, no sun beds saved, fresh fruit around the pool, a hotel bar you can actually afford to enjoy and staff all happy to make your stay perfect.

There really is nothing negative to this hotel, it is beautiful. I would say it's not for children though and maybe should be marketed as adults only.

Sissi itself is very quiet and basic, which is essentially what we searched for, but maybe a touch too quiet, with only two bars really worth visiting, The Hemmingway in the harbour for afternoon enjoyment of the most amazing views and the Jolly Roger a stone throw from the Castello Boutique hotel, enjoyed both immensely.

2 Thank stacey09
St Albans
Reviewed June 10, 2013

A really nice modern hotel, clean and in good condition. Room spacious, nice bathroom. We had a private pool which was indulgent but worth it! The main pool was really nice as well. Breakfast was included and good quality - fruit, yoghurt, hot food etc. The staff were lovely - really friendly and helpful. Our hire car got scratched parked outside the hotel and they very kindly let us park in the staff carpark under the hotel. The beach and harbour are a few minutes walk away.

The spa was a bit of an afterthought with such lovely weather! But there is an indoor (non-heated) pool and gym. The use of sauna & steam room is at an extra cost.

Sissi is a nice quiet resort (in June at least) and it was a good base for exploring Eastern Crete

Room Tip: For an extra treat - a room with a private mini-pool!
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Wanted to take my partner somewhere amazing for his birthday and I couldn't of chosen better ! Even before we got there I had asked if had penthouse room available and they upgraded us to suite for first two nights for free to accommodate change ! Rooms were perfect spotlessly clean .

From minute you got there you got a very warm welcome! We were left a lovely cold meal In our room as we arrived late . The best thing is you get the personal touch that comes with a small hotel they really try make your holiday special .

I had read on another review that that they Didn't cater if you didn't eat gluten !!! I decided I wouldn't say anything about not being able to eat wheat as there were plenty of choice hot and cold starters and a small but perfectly formed main meal ! I was asked one evening if I wanted the desert I said couldn't eat it as can't eat wheat !!! Well from then on wheat free bread they even cooked me some special starters as I couldnt eat them all . Wheat free meatballs wheat free pudding ! It was so fantastic I have put on 5lb in a week ! I wanted to thank Nikos and his wonderful staff for looking after me so well , Not eating wheat can be bit limiting but they were just great ! We had half board and the food was different everyday and was delicious ( only thing I would say is men need trousers and shoes for dining at night I'm not sure if this wasn't on the easy jet literature or I didbt read it but my partner did wear his only pair of trousers every night :)

If you like me and can't sit more than hour around pool ! Hire a car and go and explore the island we went up onto plateau to spinaloga which was amaxing view from plaka and we found a beach with just us and 50 sheep ! Roads are really good and even with my dreadful map reading we didn't get totally lost ! Anyway you have a day to enjoy the views ! You can hire car from hotel we made N enquiry about jeep abc it was there ten minutes later!

Could go on and on about how great holiday was ! I would say fantastic helpful staff , beautiful views , lovely village , relaxed atmosphere , nice mix of aged guests and nationalities ,
spotlessly clean rooms! Nothing is to much trouble just ask !

As for people who put bad reviews I think maybe hotel wasn't for you maybe you would like everything delivered on a silver tray and your own personal butler not a relaxed friendly helpful un pompous hotel with amazing staff ! I guess with trip advisor you are going to get difference of opinions that's what it's all about ! All I can say is thank you all the staff at Costello you are all truly amazing and thank you for Ian's birthday drink in our room just fabulous ! Hope to return one day dont change you are perfect as you are

Karen and ian

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

The best holiday ever. The hotel was amazing. Wine, fruit, meat and bread was in our room on arrival at 11pm! All services were great, and the staff so friendly. Look out for Nikos and Angelou! The cocktails at the bar are 1st class, as are milkshakes! We had a hotel suite room, it was great, would recommend! As with all holidays, the drinks tab quickly racked up. Restraunt was good, with great tasting food. Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our flight out of Manchester was delayed by quite a few hours and with many drop offs on the way to our hotel. We arrived late, travel weary and way after midnight.

A friendly and helpful young man was on hand and came out of the hotel to help us with our bags and after a trouble-free check-in we were taken to our room.

It was such a welcoming and lovely room. And on the table was a little midnight feast of hams, cheeses, breads, salads and a bottle of wine - on the house. I was so tired and so touched by the little feast before us it almost brought me to the verge of tears - (me!) - the combination of tiredness and loveliness was almost too much for my guarded soul.

And so began our beautiful holiday in this beautiful hotel.

Spotless. Relaxed. Laid back. Attentive. Magic. Oh - I could go on and on - Oh Castello - you are just lovely lovely lovely. A massive thank you to Castello Boutique and you you fabulous staff. What a happy ship you run! Love from England.

Room Tip: It's a small hotel - you'll not get a bad room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoodethMonk
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just back from our week at Castello Boutique and what a brilliant week! The moment we stepped off the bus we were greeted by Angelo the barman with a cold glass of juice and from that moment on nothing was too much trouble. We had a comfortable room with a pool which was very welcome, super for a cooling dip on return from the beach, wine and fruit in the room on arrival too. All the staff were amazing - always friendly no matter what time of day, and they did work long days. Nikos the restaurant manager was always ready for a chat and made sure that all was well at all times - the waiting staff were lovely - George was great fun and always attentive as were all the staff. Food was great with lots of choice at each meal - lovely breakfasts and very tasty evening meals with some nice wines. Buffet of about 8 hot starters plus salads each night so plenty to eat if you wanted to try lots of things. Each morning we walked the 5 mins or so to the nearest beach which was fine - although you were better off with beach shoes to get in and out of the sea. Sissi is a lovely quiet resort - just right with some lovely bars etc on the harbour for lunch time drinks and snacks. We had some great evenings in the hotel bar - just watching Angelo go about his craft was entertaining enough! Brazillian dance show one night and Greek music another was a lovely change. There was nothing more we could have wanted from our holiday - brilliant staff, comfortable surroundings and amazing weather thank you so much everyone at Castello, I hope we get back to see you again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sissi
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#6 of 171 in Hersonissos
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Castello Village Resort
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Castello Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!