“Fantastic,family run, friendly apartments”

MariGianna Apartments
Ranked #2 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Sissi
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a lovely week at the Marigianna apartments. The rooms were clean and had everything we needed. The hard working staff were friendly and accommodating, always had a ready smile and made us feel very welcome. The pool was lovely, the surrounding area spacious and there were no battles or races for sunbeds! Many of the guests had returned year after year and I can understand why. Vasilis (Billy) and Manos make everyone welcome and feel like friends.The apartments are located just outside Sissis' village centre and meant a gentle and pleasant stroll 5-10 minutes to the harbour front. Plenty of shops and tavernas both in Sissi harbour and around the Marigianna made eating out easy. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Yvonne S

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We returned from a brilliant week here on the 16th of June and I definitely did not want to leave! I rarely want to make a return trip to a holiday destination as the world is a big place and I want to see as much of it as I can, but we're already looking forward to a return to Sissi and the Marigianna Apartments.

I had read most of the reviews in here before choosing the accommodation for our holiday and was reassured by all of the good things that were said and the number of return visitors, which I think speaks for itself. Upon arrival myself and my fiancé quickly found that all the good things said were true, including the positive comments about Manos, Billy and all who work here. They never seem to rest, particularly Manos who is constantly on the go all day working hard to keep everything in good order.

Having travelled to Greek Islands before we have always expected basic accommodation and have not minded this so long as it has been clean. However, this place is far from basic! The refurbishment mentioned in other reviews really has been done to a good standard - with a proper bathroom and everything!! No dodgy shower tray with a curtain that sticks to you when wet here! There were good quality electrical appliances used including a Samsung TV, which I'm not saying is all important but I do think its a good indication of the investment made in the place. However, one word of caution, ladies be warned there are no hairdryers in the rooms so you will need to take one with you. I had not and did go into a bit of a panic but Billy came to the rescue and found one for me to use for the duration of our stay ( thanks Billy!!). Cleanliness has also been discussed lots in other reviews and I do agree that the place is spotless, we never found any issues.

The pool area is lovely with plenty of beds available and also lots of tables and chairs with parasols to seek shade under if the temperature gets too much! The poolside bar area run by Billy was the place that we always returned to after eating in various restaurants in the town. In fact, we didn't go anywhere else to drink as we enjoyed the company and atmosphere back at the Marigianna. The cocktails were pretty good too - especially Billy's Mojitos, which quickly became my favourite!!

Sissi itself is a really lovely resort. We did not want to go anywhere too lively but wanted somewhere with plenty of options for places to eat of an evening and that's what we got. It's not a big place and can be explored on foot quite easily from the apartments, with just a gentle slope down to the harbour. If you're really into beaches this may not be the place for you as there are only a few pebble beaches and one small sandy beach with maybe 30 beds on it. This didn't bother us too much though.

All in all this was one of the best holidays we've had and this was down to the resort, the accommodation and the brilliant people that run it and work there. The only downside was that we didn't stay for long enough! But we'll fix that next year! Can't wait.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sara P
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have just returned from our 6th stay at Marigianna apartments. The welcome is always warm and I'm not talking about the weather. Manos and Billy will do as much as they possibly can to make your stay as pleasant as possible it seems nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are modern, comfortable and are cleaned regularly. The grounds are kept tidy with large lawns and plenty of sun beds. The circularly bar has a swim up section with stools in the water so you can enjoy a cocktail whilst keeping cool in the water. You always wish you could stay longer than you booked. The apartments are within easy walking distance of restaurants and shops however the area is not over touristy but if you want clubbing etc Malia is short taxi ride away. It is a lovely place to stay for a relaxing chill out holiday. We shall be returning as soon as we can.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Birdie50
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for two weeks at the end of may and it was fantastic, my boyfriend has been coming here since he was 8 my first time here and I can say we will be coming back next year. Staff are amazing especially billy would entertain us at the bar all night, making some fantastic cocktails :) . Rooms are very modern and very clean and tidy one of the best rooms I've stayed in. Breakfast in morning is lovely and snacks at the bar are great to. Plenty of bars and restaurants to go to at night.

Room Tip: Every room was fantastic ranging from family rooms to studio which we had but plenty of room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Becky H
Reviewed June 16, 2013

After staying at the MariGianna for 1 week last year we decided to stay for 2 weeks this year and wished we could have stayed longer! Yet again we were impressed with how clean and well-kept the apartments and grounds are. The location of the apartments are PERFECT as they are set back from the road and provide both a mountain and sea view. The walk into the main part of Sissi and the Harbour is also a very short and easy walk.

Manos is a wonderful and friendly host who works day and night but is always on hand to offer help to ensure that your stay is a happy one. When making the booking we had made a few additional requests such as to be on a high floor with a sea view and Manos ensured that these were met.

Manos' son Billy also manages the apartments and truly makes you feel welcome and at home. I guarantee that any time spent at the bar drinking Billy's AMAZING cocktails will be fun-filled and memorable! Billy is also really helpful when advising on local excursions, trips and car rentals.

Sissi itself is a wonderful location for a relaxing holiday, although if like us you are spending 2 weeks there I recommend that you rent a car for the second week. If however you don't relish the idea of braving the Greek roads (I know I didn't) then the boat trips available provide a great day out and a chance to visit some of the beaches on Crete. Buses are also a very affordable way of travelling around the Island- but not the quickest!

Thanks once again Manos and Billy for a wonderful holiday. It was fantastique......super... :)

Lis & 'Mommy'

Room Tip: This year we stayed in room 123 which was lovely. However it is on the top floor so not suitable for...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LJ1984
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Have just returned from our second stay at the Marigianna and I don't think it will be our last. Manos, Billy, and their team, work so hard each and every day to maintain the extremely high standard of these beautiful rooms. I would like to give Stamiata a particular mention. She works very hard indeed keeping the rooms spic and span and is very pleasant and friendly. The only negative comment I have is that most nights during our 2 1/2 week stay the noise from the bar well into the early hours of the morning was very loud, I would even go as far as saying 'thoughtless'. Maybe it was the situation of our room which caught it more than others (Room 117) or it was just unfortunate timing for us, but thankfully I always take earplugs on holiday, but even in this case they weren't all that effective. Having said this, we would still return to the Marigianna tomorrow!

Room Tip: Always try and book a room with sea view if possible to ensure you are not on the groundfloor - some...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joy B
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had one week in a great apartment (118) and everything was perfect. Manos and Billy are great at looking after you and nothing is too much trouble (was amazed on asking about a hair dryer to have delivered the next day a super new, salon strength, top of range dryer!) Billy is good fun and a great bar host. The pools are great, the gardens lovely to relax in and we felt at home immediately. All very new and a grade up at least from your normal Greek standard if accommodation. They deserve success as they work so hard and we will plan a return.

• Stayed: June 2013