Review Highlights
Interesting State Park

My husband and I enjoy visiting Indiana State Parks. When we visited this one , we noticed how... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
kathylewis47421
Bloomington, Indiana
Nice smaller state park.

Came on a rainy weekday with not many people around. The beach and lake looked very nice. The have... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
shrngoss
Indianapolis, Indiana

All reviews boyhood home nature center holiday world paddle boats and canoes fire tower picnic area nice picnic entrance fee baptist church amphitheater cabin camping sites jones colonel indiana fishing
Selected filters
Reviewed March 9, 2019

I will qualify this review. It is just from an out of state person with an interest in history just driving through's perspective. This park does have recreational activities, picnic areas and even an amphitheater from what I have read so some other's persons interest in the park may be totally different from mine. The whole issue I have is this is right next to the Lincoln Boyhood National Park site and this park is money grubbers so I am calling that out for people with similar interests to mine to beware

I refused to go this time because they wanted a $9 admission fee regardless of why you are entering. It was November for goodness sake and nothing else was open in the park unless you want to hike in the cold I guess.

Lincoln's sister, Sarah Lincoln, has her grave in the park and there is a memorial to Lincoln there as well. Unfortunately Sarah's final resting place is held hostage while you can give your respects to the rest of the Lincoln family for free. That is the principle involved. This park needs to work with the National Park site and allow some accommodation to those who just to give a quick visit to the historical areas and then leave.

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed October 28, 2018 via mobile

Well marked trails & paper map included in $7 admission. Few other hikers on the trails, no car sounds for miles. Love this park all year but off-season is paradise.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed September 4, 2018

The Park is a nice park, it had hiking, paddle boats and canoes, fishing, swimming. There is also a lot of Abe Lincoln history here as well.Abe's sister is buried near there and he grew up in the area. There is also a Lincoln National Monument across the highway and Abe's mother is buried there. There is also a living history area near the monument,which was interesting. We camped through the week so it was really quiet. The only complaint is although the showers were cleaned there was mold growing on the shower curtains and on the walls and the wads of hair were a big turn off. A bleach scrubbing or spraying now and then would help that. We were told to use the primitive area shower as it was supposed to be much nicer.

Date of experience: August 2018
2  Thank Teresa M
Reviewed August 6, 2018

One summer back in the mid-70s, my family drove from Kansas City and met my grandparents, who lived in northern Ohio, at a park in Indiana, where we camped for a week. I wanted to visit this park when we were in the area because I wanted to see if this was the place, but nothing seemed particularly familiar. It seems like a very nice park and I was glad we stopped, even if it didn’t jog any memories.

Established in 1932, the park encompasses 1,747 acres, and many of the recreational facilities which are still here were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression.

Front and center is a Lake Lincoln, which isn’t huge (I couldn’t find the actual lake acreage anywhere), but it includes a beach, and the log cabin where they rent canoes was especially picturesque. We also enjoyed walking across a bridge near the spillway.

There are several historic buildings within the park, probably the most important of which is the Little Pigeon Baptist Church, which Abraham Lincoln and his father helped build, and where Lincoln’s sister, Sarah Lincoln Grigsby, was buried in the cemetery after she died during childbirth in 1826. Other historical areas include: the Noah Gordon home and mill sites, the James Gentry home site, and the Colonel William Jones home.

While driving around the park, we also came across and walked around the Lincoln Amphitheater. This impressive 1,200-seat covered theater, which first opened in 1987, presents Lincoln-themed plays and musicals, as well as concerts and other events. We also visited the Lincoln Bicentennial Plaza in the park, built to celebrate Lincoln’s 200th birthday. This is basically a monument which includes several statues and quotes, but the most unique aspect of the plaza is the area which showed Lincoln’s height at various ages as he was growing up. It’s fun to see how old Abe was when he was at your current height!

The park also has 150 campsites, and 25 rental cabins, as well as 10 miles of trails. I should mention that there’s a entrance fee of about $8 per vehicle for the park. I still think this is probably where my family gathered all those years ago, but regardless of that, it seems like a nice place to visit, camp, and to take in a show.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed June 30, 2018

We visited on a Thursday mainly just to do a couple trails. We saw on the website that there was a snake show in late morning so we did a trail and then took in the show. It was about 45 minutes long and was an excellent presentation of the many snakes that are native to the area. The naturalist did a wonderful job of keeping the attention of 10-12 kids under about 12 while also entertaining the adults. They had live and formerly live displays of many local animals in the nature center that we looked at before and after the show. We only scratched the surface of the trails by hiking up to the fire tower. There was a great 360 degree view of the are from the top of the tower. The trail was pretty steep but managed well even by our 7 year old. There is a nice, quiet fishing lake and a beach with rental kayaks and paddle boats.

Date of experience: June 2018