“You can see it, but how to get there is the Question”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites Omaha
Ranked #33 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed August 18, 2010

You can see the hotel off of Dodge, but your GPS is not going to get you to the front door. Access to the hotel is not easy. Once you get there, this Hampton Inn is a gem, The rooms are very quiet,
There are eating place close by so that is a plus. Getting back on the interstate was not hard.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed May 11, 2010

I was in town to attend the annual Woodstock for Capitalists to listen to the Oracle of Omaha speak and take part in the weekend's festivities and Borsheims and the Quest Center (Warren Buffet - Berkshire Hathaway stockholder's meeting).
As a Hilton employee, I have the opportunity to book discounted stays, and was surprised to find there were rooms available so close to the event. Now, when an employee checks into the hotel, in many cases we are assigned a room that gets lots of complaints (near the elevator, secondary entrance, laundry room, etc - generally a room located near a noisy epicenter within the hotel) - because we are stay at a fraction of the average room rate. Our room - first floor, across from the laundry room, in the smoking wing -- and with twin beds. Now I've stayed in a few other 'smoking' rooms within the Hilton Family of Brands (luckily most of our hotels have gone 100% smoke-free) - but this room oozed tar, nicotine, and carcinogens. After we arrived home, we quickly laundered our stinky clothes and our jackets, backpack, messenger bag, and laptop sleeves are still airing out in the garage 2 weeks after our travels to this location.
I was also surprised to find that this Hampton did NOT have a mini-fridge in every room. Also, every TV in the hotel is a pre-digital era 25 inch tube TV (rather than than a 36 inch or larger flat-screen).
I also experienced issue with proper execution of some simple instructions I gave the clerk when I checked in on Friday. When it was obvious on Saturday that my instructions were not honored, I talked to the Night Auditor. He informed me that my instructions would be entered and executed as instructed. When I awoke Sunday, it was again obvious my instructions were not honored. I went to the desk, only to find a different Night Auditor who said there were no such instructions left (I had asked that a bill for my room and another room be slid under my door - and that the other room was not to receive a bill -- nothing too complicated. Nonetheless, something they were unable to accomplish).

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank DFW_Brobdingnag
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Getting to this hotel is the first challenge. You can see it, but getting to it is very hard. Dust in the corners of the room. Close to the Mall, but right next to the highway. Out in the area, there are several other choices that would be better.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed here for a track meet. The location was great, next to the track
and a mall with many eating places. It was clean, had a nice entry with tv and
computers. The front desk person, Eric, was extremely accomodating.
He let us see the room 1st for my son has allergies. We felt we could ask him for
anything and we were not bothering him. The breakfrast was great and a large
eating area. We would stay there again. Clean rooms and hotel and friendly staff make it worth while. We did not find the traffic noise to be a problem. As others have said, it is not the most up to date Hampton, but it is a place I would
recommend to anyone in that area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We have stayed at this location during the CWS since 1995, bowever the prices more than double for this time period. I am definetly not staying here again as there are newer hotels with better access than this Hampton and the rates are a lot lower. I think they are really gouging their guests during this time period. We have had 2 to 3 rooms each stay and the cost now is $199 per room per night! Their normal rate is $118.15 each. With these inflated prices, we are staying at another comaparable hotel for $135!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Several of the previous reviewer were correct. Hotel is located next to a mall which may be a plus for some but also located next to a busy highway with lots of traffic noise. Rooms only have king beds or full size. No queens. King bed was very comfortable though. Sofa bed was terrible and hard as a rock. No extra pillow provided for sofa bed so you have to use ones off the King bed. No one ever made up the sofa bed either or closed it up when cleaning during the day.

When we checked in we had asked for a room away from the elevator which the clerk assured us we had. When we got up to our floor, we had a room NEXT to the elevator. A call to the clerk had him trying to move us to the room next door. After some discussion (the clerk seemed very confused) he finally found us a room on another floor but next to the stairwell! Luckily the stairwell is very hidden so is not used much even though the hotel only has one very slow elevator. The first room had candy wrapper trash on the floor when we opened the door. The second room was freezing cold and we finally realized the window was open!! The second day no one ever came to clean the room. We finally called the front desk (and had a difficult time getting anyone to answer the phone) at 4 p.m. and when we came back to the room a little later, someone had brought towels and emptied the trash but had not made either bed! We also ran out of soap as in 3 days, they never provided fresh soap and the little bar provided did not last with 3 people.

Breakfast was the worst free breakfast I have had at any hotel - The terrible hockey puck looking eggs that no one will eat, no breakfast meats of any kind, and very few choices of the remaining items (cereal, yogurt, muffins, canned fruit). They were often out of basic items also like coffee, creamer, cups, etc.

No swimming pool at this location either. If you have a choice of hotels, I would try somewhere else first as this one is just okay but not as good as many others in the area.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan K
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I've stayed at Hampton Inns across the country. Compared to others, this HI would be below average - which still isn't too bad compared to some other brands.

This HI provides the same free breakfast and wireless internet they all do - which I appreciate. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly and it appears they are trying hard.
Unfortunately, they just can't undo the fact this is an old hotel.
At this age, you just can't seem to avoid certain odors. There's only one elevator - obviously not something you'd see in new hotels. There's no swimming pool. There are signs of age in the rooms.

The location is fantastic for access to any part of the Omaha metro. The hotel is on Dodge Street - a main arterial street for Omaha. The interstate is just a few blocks away which can whisk you quickly to many destinations. Location is the best asset of this property.

If you can get a similar price, I'd recommend the Hilton Garden Inn on West Dodge or the Hampton Inn La Vista. Both are probably within 10 minutes of this location (depending on traffic).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family