“Great Place to Stay in Downtown Omaha.”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed October 9, 2009

The Magnolia Hotel in downtown Omaha is a special find. It is close to Old Town with many shops and restrauants, the Durham Railroad Museum, Convention Center, Quest Center are also close by. It is not a cookie cutter hotel. It is on the registry of Historic Hotels. It has great character, but has been beautifully restored and updated. The morning breakfast is wonderful as it has something for everyones breakfast needs. The evening happy hour was a fun event and the bedtime cookies, hot chocolate and milk was a great treat. The room was comfortable and decorated very upscale. The staff was so friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make our stay perfect.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,092)

Reviewed October 9, 2009

Loved it - perfect location, close to night clubs & spectacular dining in the Old Market. The staff was excellent, very accommodating. It's an older location and the architecture is beautiful. Room walls are a little thin but overall it was a great stay

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2009

This historic hotel is both luxurious and friendly. I was there with my sister on a very busy weekend.
Despite the fact that they had weddings going on all over the place as well as famous musicians staying , we had an absolutely perfect, wonderful stay. The staff was helpful and courteous, the valets made minor miracles happen to accommodate us and when we needed a late night diet coke, we had one in minutes. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the beds are better than mine at home! The bar/restuarant is classy with a small outside patio and the complimentary breakfast is jsut an extra bonus. The Magnolia is located close to the vibrant Old Market area in Omaha, the casinos across the river, and the Qwest Convention Center.

We love the professional, but fun staff and absolutely gorgeous hotel!

I just got the promo email and if I could afford another stay, we’d be there again this week!!

We’ll be back again soon!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2009

This Hotel is by far the best Hotel I have ever stayed at. I have traveled the world and never seen any Hotel offer as many perks as the Magnolia! We live in town, but like to get away from work every once and a while and would never go anywhere else but here. We love the complimentary cocktail hour as well as the cookies and milk for bedtime, oh and don't forget breakfast which isn't just cold cereal and milk its a fantastic hot buffet with eggs, hash browns, sausage, oatmeal, you name it. We discovered the hotel last year when we saw that they offered packages for all sorts of events particularly anniversaries. This is also unique as many hotels do not offer these package deals. Our last stay we discovered the free shuttle service downtown, and its not a ugly shuttle bus either, its a sleek Cadillac SUV that runs 24 hours that can take you to bars and pick you up. I could go on and on why this Hotel is the best I have yet stayed at but it is truly one that must be experienced by oneself. I recommend this hotel to all my friends and family and I extend the invite to you. Enjoy

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I stayed here for a week for a business trip in July 2009. The attitude of the employees and their dress definitely made this feel like a four star hotel (I think this is the only four star hotel in Omaha). I like the old feel of the hotel. It's achieved that difficult balance of feeling like a historic building, while not being too "tired". Some hotels go for a "classic" look but it ends up feeling fake or contrived. Then other hotels have that old feel but not maintained enough for it to feel like a luxurious experience. Magnolia's got it just right.

It's just a few blocks west of the Old Market area; definitely an easy walk for a New Yorker like me, but I could see how some car-dependent suburbanites might gripe about it. If you're looking for a hotel that's closer to the Old Market area, the Embassy Suites is a better bet. One of the benefits of staying at the Magnolia is being half a block from Flatiron Cafe, which Sarah G. considers the best restaurant in Omaha (which I probably agree with; maybe a toss up between Flatiron and the Boiler Room).

The gym was decent. I only worked out once but they had nicer than average equipment.

Of the three hotels I've stayed at in Omaha, Magnolia has the best complimentary hot breakfast. The eggs were excellent (not as greasy as other hotels). They also offered Tazo tea which is better than the crap Lipton or Celestial Seasonings tea that most hotels offer.

When I stayed there, internet access was free. Must be a change in policy from when the last reviewer stayed there. There is no self-parking. You either park on the street or do valet parking. I did valet parking since it wasn't that expensive ($12 per day). I'm not used to doing valet parking so I didn't know if I should tip the dude every day or just once at the end. I just gave him a big tip when I checked out (but they did have different guys doing the valet so I guess everyone else got shafted). All that to say that they never gave me attitude about not giving them a tip each day; I appreciated that.

I liked that the stairs were in the middle of the hotel instead of at the ends. I think more hotels should do that in order to encourage people to take the stairs. This was probably more a result of it being an old building instead of some intentional pro-stairs agenda but still... I appreciated it.

The room itself was a bit small in comparison with the other Omaha hotels I stayed at but since it was just myself and I'm used to living in small spaces, I didn't mind at all.

I would definitely stay here again if I have to go back to Omaha.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I planned a bachelorette party at the Magnolia the weekend of August 1st. We stayed in a loft suite. I'm writing this review because when planning this party, I wish someone would have wrote about the suites. The suites are $199 per night. The suite we stayed in was perfect for us. I will tell you that the full service kitchen is very small, but has a full fridge and stove, a double sink and small countertop. The living room area was a great size and fit all of us girls for gifts and such. The upstairs loft holds the bed, small closet, tv, and I have to say, VERY small bathroom. Luckily we all got ready before heading to the hotel and didn't need the bathroom space. The overall suite is a little older looking and would be exceptional with a little updating, but again was perfect for what we wanted. The service we recieved was outstanding! The staff were all very young, but very professional. As my title says, the shuttle service is AMAZING! Those boys took us and picked us up wherever we wanted to go. I don't know of any other hotel that does this and in black cadiliac escalades! Very fun.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed at The Magnolia for a wedding this past weekend and were very disappointed. The room was small, the bed and pillows very uncomfortable and the food was way below par. The hotel was convenient since the wedding was at the Orphium, a very short walk. I really expected a lot after reading prior reviews and really felt left down after staying there. I have a lot of trouble believing that this is a four star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple