“Mother and Daughter both love the Magnolia Omaha”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
South Dakota
“Mother and Daughter both love the Magnolia Omaha”
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My daughter and I spent a weekend in Omaha shopping and getting ready for her to go off to college. We wanted to stay somewhere a little different and had heard great things about the Magnolia. (about how nice the staff was and how lovely the rooms were!) I booked directly with the hotel and the reservations person was very friendly and courteous. When we arrived we were thrilled with the Hotel. You know that first impression when you open your room door...ours was terrific. The fabrics and decor were luxurious, and the bathroom was elegant. We spent a special weekend together before her going off to school and the hotel only added to our trip!!

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Me and the wife just had a two night stay at this hotel for a wedding.

THE GOOD:First off let me say the wedding was beautiful and the magnolia staff seemed to execute the festivities flawlessly. My guess is this a very popular place for weddings and rightfully so.
Happy hour (free beer and wine) and cookie service are great touches.

THE BAD: Me and the wife arrived back from sightseeing about 2:00pm to rest and relax before getting ready for the wedding. Housekeeping was cleaning the room next to ours and for whatever reason when she was done she left the floor. I called down to the font desk and told them we needed our room cleaned as soon as possible as we had to get ready for the wedding at around 4:00pm. No one ever showed despite a second call to the front desk about 45 minutes later. Never got any service and around 3:30pm housekeeping was on our floor again cleaning rooms down the hall.

The room is just OK in my opinion. Bed is comfy but only 2 pillows for 2 people on a king bed is a little lacking. We requested two more and received them promptly. Dark carpets let every little bit of trash and stuff show up so the carpets look dirty. Surprised in this day and age there was no flat screen HD tv.
The bathroom is very small and space is limited in the sink area. The shower is very narrow and not a pleasant experience. No bathtub.
One thing that annoyed me was there was no gift shop or snack center where you could purchase snacks and
No refrigerator in room and there was definitely a space for it.

THE UGLY: I thought I was doing me and the wife a good thing by upgrading our room to a jacuzzi suite. BE AWARE of the back wing of the hotel where these suites are located (it is the 2 story wing past the elevators). They have not been updated and extensively remodeled like the wing at the front of the hotel per the front desk attendant. To say the smell of old, musty, moldy building was strong and pungent would be an understatement.
We spent about 20 minutes in this foul smelling room before changing rooms to a normal king room in the front of the hotel.
I am not even sure how the hotel management can rent these rooms out at a premium price. They are disgusting.

Overall I will not be back to this hotel unless attending another wedding. Hilton is a better choice as is the Homewood Suites.

• Liked — Friendly staff, happy hour, cookie service
  • Disliked — Back wing of the hotel that smelled like a 100 year old dingy basement.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I arrived tired and wilted in the 108 degree heat index on a Sunday night in August. I was greeted by The Magnolia staff as though I had A-list celebrity! Pertinent information was graciously given me during the quick check-in.

After being told of complimentary cocktails available then with cookies and milk later for bedtime, I went to find my room. The room turned out to be quite comparable to ones I had stayed at in Edinburgh, Scotland; very up-to-date, lovely, clean and comfortable.

The Magnolia offered shuttle service to catch my train the next morning. I arrived more rested than during any other part of my journey. I am very glad to have found the beautiful, historical building that is The Magnolia; it is a delightful oasis in Omaha.

• Liked — Very clean, very comfortable.
  • Disliked — Limited channel access on cable TV; more choices are needed.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
California
Reviewed August 10, 2008

The good:

Beautiful building and lobby, friendly staff. Modern room furnishings and decor, and pet-friendly (though there's a hefty $50 charge, which is higher than we've paid at any other hotel in the U.S). Mostly clean room.

The bad:

-upon entering the room i went to wash my face and found little hairs and a dried booger (sorry, but how else can i describe it?) in the bathroom sink. yuck. The rest of the bathroom was clean, so I was surprised that something so obviously dirty was missed.

-the walls in the room have taken a bit of a beating, and it looked like the baseboards and vents haven't been cleaned in a long while.

-just across the hall, a tray of half-eaten food sat in the hallway the entire time we were at the hotel (about 12 hours), and it stank. two staff members (the bell hop and whoever left our bill) obviously passed the tray and didn't remove it or call anyone else to do it.

Overall, i think this hotel is just okay. It's got great potential, but it seems that the details are being missed, and it's the details which set hotels apart from one another. The staff is all very young, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it seemed that they were all busy socializing with one another. I'd stay here again if my only other option is a Holiday Inn, but I'd hope they'd work out the kinks.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — Should be cleaner
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
RI
Reviewed July 24, 2008

I recently spent four nights at the Magnolia on a business trip and things could not have been better. The check in process was speedy and the staff was friendly. The room was spacious and clean as were the bathroom and shower. I have to say I was fortunate to have one of the nicer rooms with a flat screen tv but a number of the channels did not work including FOX when the All Star game was on. They provide a complimentary full breakfast which was very good and will also make you an omlet of your choice for a small fee.
Overall it was a good stay and I would most definetely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Liked — Clean comfortable rooms, free breakfast.
  • Disliked — TV channels not working, expensive parking.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Lodi, California
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I went here for a business trip and I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a cool driver come and pick you up at the airport and hosts at the reception are great. I was there for only two nights, with an all day conference in the middle, so I didn't get to walk around the hotel as much as I would have liked. Apparently the hotel is split in two. My room was a super cool older room, two stories with a fireplace. (Bed upstairs, so obviously not workable for disabled or elderly.)

It had great character, obviously updated fixtures and furniture. I would have loved to host a party in the room or something. It was great. One of my coworkers said she had a standard hotel room on the other side of the hotel. We never got a chance to compare... So check it out! If you're ever in Omaha!

• Liked — My cool room
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Des Moines, IA
Reviewed June 22, 2008

There were definitely some good points to this hotel, but there were a couple negatives along the way. First, the location is great - easy to find, close to zoo, CWS site, walking distance to Old Market. The hotel itself is very pretty and the rooms were nice. Unfortunately we didn't start out on a very good note. We checked in for our king suite, gathered all our stuff and went up to our room. Not a king size bed. The guy at the desk said that some of the king rooms don't look like king size, but he wasn't going to argue with us and gave us a different room. I wish he would have just said it was a mistake because it kind of made me wonder if it wasn't an accident and this is just something they do by charging you for one thing and giving you another as a lot of people probably won't complain. That gave me kind of a bad feeling, and it would been nice if someone would have offered to help us move all our stuff and bring the key back downstairs, but whatever. You do hear a fair amount of noise from the hall, but probably not more than any other hotel. The bar was gorgeous and the staff was consistently polite, and we didn't have any problems with the valet service. The cookies were a cute touch but it would have been nice if they weren't cleaned out by 8:30! We would stay again, our bed was really comfortable and it was a nice place. Probably not an awesome romantic get-away as you can hear everything in the bathroom (really, why doesn't every hotel put a fan in the bathroom???), but overall a nice place.

Stayed June 2008