“our favorite place to stay in Omaha”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Kearney, Nebraska
“our favorite place to stay in Omaha”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Magnolia is our number 1 choice when we stay in Omaha. We have been several times since they've opened and have always had a wonderful experience. Recently we stayed for my Birthday weekend and, like always, had a great stay! The front desk staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. I had told her it was my Birthday and she looked to see if they had any suites available - they did not, but she did change our room to a king, which was very nice. Our room was at the end of a hallway - which we loved as we did not hear any doors closing or elevators dinging. Everything was clean and well-maintained. The only thing we did not like was the sliding bathroom door. It was also a little noisy at night due to the sirens from the fire trucks, but that's something that cannot be controlled. The bed and pillows were PERFECT.
We had pre-dinner drinks at the bar, and the bartender was incredibly friendly and helpful in picking out the right drinks for us. The breakfast buffet was great! Lots of options and everything was tasty.
We will be back again - it's the only place in Omaha we like to stay since it's located right across the street from the Orpheum and just a short walk to all the fun Old Market restaurants and shops. We always have wonderful service, and we have come to look forward to our time spent there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Danell_11
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Omaha, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Hey Danell_11,

Great! You said too many awesome things about us.
Now we're never gonna find someone as nice as you. That's a fact. In regards to all of your positive comments, thank you, and in regards to the sliding door, your comment has been noted. In regards to the sirens, we have tried to get them to use those little squeeky bike horns, but people just don't get out of the way. We appreciate your understanding.

Consider us next time your in town.

We'll be here for you.

Ryan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Boston
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed at the Magnolia for a wedding in Sept 2012 and Dec 2013. Both times, we had very mixed experiences. Basically, the hotel lacks professionalism. They have the amenities, and the rooms are nice enough, but the support staff is a total mixed bag. Bridget at the front desk is amazing and deserves a raise, but those in charge of the valet and shuttle service need to realize that when you offer those kinds of service, people depend on them. When the valet cant get your car for 20 minutes, or the shuttle driver takes out a large group instead of you when you are the one who had a reservation, it leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Luckily for the Magnolia, there aren't many other options in Omaha. If this hotel were in Boston or Chicago, it would be bankrupt by now. But for Omaha, its a good price for 3.5 stars, and the location is great, just dont depend too much on the staff for help.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Omaha, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear uk4220,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your experience has been noted, and the appropriate parties, valet and shuttle services, have been advised of your concerns.

We also want to thank you on behalf of Bridget. Your kind words have been forwarded to her and we appreciate your balance in your review.

We hope you'll give us another shot and we want you to know that if you do, we'll be ready.

Thanks,
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel twice in our recent visit to Omaha and really enjoyed it! Love the charm and location. We never arrived early enough for wine, darn (both nights we got in late) but we did enjoy the cookies/milk and breakfast. We will stay here our next time in Omaha.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hey Travel017,

Yes! We loved your review and we love that we're your homebase! Thanks for the review and hopefully next time you visit, it'll be in time for happy hour.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The magnolia is a nice property, but it seems like it has a split personality in décor. The building is older, has a marble lobby and dark woodwork in the halls. The rooms have tall floor to ceiling drapes. It has the potential to be a great dame hotel. But mixed in is modern furnishing, modern art, etc. It just does not fit together well.

The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. Nice fluffy towels and large size toiletries.

The food and beverage needs some work. The lounge is okay at night, but the gold stools and décor look like an 80s disco in the daylight. The bar stools are way too low for the bar. I felt like a little kid sitting at the grown-up table, you sit that low. There were three people in the bar and the staff was harried by simple drink requests. In fairness, it did appear the regular bartender was on break. The food was mediocre and unimaginative.

The complimentary breakfast was okay, and what you would expect. But, they only have out small salad plates for you at the buffet. Trying to keep food costs down?

The only parking available , at least late at night, is valet at $17 a night - a cost really out of line. There is a single door with no automatic feature, so I struggled to get my bags in. There was no valet or bellman when I arrived as they were picking-up guests at the airport.

Nice place, nothing terrible went wrong, but they need to step up their game.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Omaha, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear MizzouMike,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your review was very detailed and will help us in addressing the concerns you had. You have an attentive eye to detail, and that's something we welcome in our guests.

The mixed decor of which you speak is our homage to both our historic location, as well as our leanings towards incorporating a more modern look. In regards to the plate size, food quality, bar stool height, unavailable bellhop, and costs of our valet services, your comments have been noted, and forwarded to the appropriate parties.

In addition, your compliments to the staff, your noted enjoyment of the fluffy pillows and large size toiletries have equally been noted, and we appreciate your balance in your review.

We hope that if you should find yourself in Omaha again, you'll give us another shot.
We'll be ready.

Thanks,
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Wonderful place to have a small, intimate wedding. We stayed two nights and enjoyed the breakfast, evening reception and the cookies and milk. The staff was so helpful, came up and did some extra cleaning before the ceremony. We used the shuttle service 4 different times and the driver was always prompt and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ryan E, Public Relations Manager at Magnolia Hotel Omaha, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Julie M,

We can safely say that reviews like your make our days better. Thank you for taking the time to review us, improving staff morale, and keeping our shuttle driver busy.

You're welcome back anytime.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at your hotel as part of my birthday celebration! EVERYTHING about our stay was perfect. Upon check-in, the staff upgraded us to a suite since it was my birthday, the room was exceptionally clean, elegant and welcoming. Loved the lounge reception before the hotel shuttle took us to our dinner destination at the Old Market. The shuttle home was perfect as we'd celebrated! Great sleep, nice breakfast before the trip home. Staff was superb and helpful. Can't wait to come back! Cheers, Lynn M.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hey Lynn M,

A couple things to start -
First off, Happy Birthday again, and secondly, when's your next birthday?

We're assuming it's a year from now, (math!) - we're only asking because we want to be there again to make it just as awesome as this year's.

You didn't have to write this review, or notice how much we care about making our guest's special occasions even more special, but you did. And for this, we thank you.

We'll hopefully see you next year and until then, many happy returns.

Cheers,
Vail, Colorado
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I wanted to like this hotel, I really liked the name, the reviews looked great, and I wanted this trip to be simply fantastic, but none of this was the case. The front desk clerk ignored me for 5-10 minutes while I stood directly in front of him. They advertised free parking and it was $17 to park. The room was renovated but still old in a lot of ways. The TV did not work easily and the selection was very small, the Pay Per View movies were $15 each, a ridiculous price when you are already paying so much for the hotel. The bed was not extremely comfortable, but adequate for an extremely tired person. The main reason I picked this hotel was because of the reviews and because it had a shuttle that could take me to the airport. I double checked that they could take me to the airport when I arrived the first day. The night before I left I checked again to make sure that I could get a shuttle at 5:30 am the next morning. They only had a shuttle run at 4am and 5:45am, but my flight was at 6:45am. The airport is small so I agreed to push it and take the 5:45 shuttle with the assurance that it would be on time. I was in the lobby at 5:30 and there were two other people waiting for the shuttle with me. I overheard the front desk lady say that the shuttle was running late. I went over and asked if I had heard correctly and she assured me that the shuttle would be on time. Ten minutes later we were told that the shuttle would arrive in 5 minutes. 5 minutes later, at 5:50, the front desk lady came over and said that it would be at least 15 minutes until the shuttle could pick us up, but that she could get a taxi to us in 5minutes if we would like split a taxi fare. We agreed to take this course of action and I was the last person to board my flight, thank goodness they let me board. I do not appreciate the the hotel promised a shuttle ride and then did not even offer to pay for the short taxi ride when the shuttle was late.

In short I would avoid this hotel because of its extremely rude staff and the discourtesy of the shuttle fiasco.

The bar tender is the exception to the rule, and is a very courteous and adept staff member.

Room Tip: Higher floors because the hotel is above several busy streets