“Interesting . . .”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed June 22, 2008

There were definitely some good points to this hotel, but there were a couple negatives along the way. First, the location is great - easy to find, close to zoo, CWS site, walking distance to Old Market. The hotel itself is very pretty and the rooms were nice. Unfortunately we didn't start out on a very good note. We checked in for our king suite, gathered all our stuff and went up to our room. Not a king size bed. The guy at the desk said that some of the king rooms don't look like king size, but he wasn't going to argue with us and gave us a different room. I wish he would have just said it was a mistake because it kind of made me wonder if it wasn't an accident and this is just something they do by charging you for one thing and giving you another as a lot of people probably won't complain. That gave me kind of a bad feeling, and it would been nice if someone would have offered to help us move all our stuff and bring the key back downstairs, but whatever. You do hear a fair amount of noise from the hall, but probably not more than any other hotel. The bar was gorgeous and the staff was consistently polite, and we didn't have any problems with the valet service. The cookies were a cute touch but it would have been nice if they weren't cleaned out by 8:30! We would stay again, our bed was really comfortable and it was a nice place. Probably not an awesome romantic get-away as you can hear everything in the bathroom (really, why doesn't every hotel put a fan in the bathroom???), but overall a nice place.

Stayed: June 2008

Reviewed June 19, 2008

This is a wonderfully quirky boutique hotel in a great downtown loacation. They have some incredible deals so the price was amazingly cheap for the quality. This is a 4 star hotel at a 2 star price. I was very pleased with the little extras like free cookies, happy hour and continental breakfast. The rooms are nicely updated and trendy. The only reason I didn't rate it as excellent was that the hallway noise was quite noticeable. I was there during the basketball conference though so there were quite a few rowdy college kids staying there. Also, the shower could use a railing. My 11 year old daughter was even afraid of slipping when getting in and out of the shower. Its on a raised platform. Otherwise the rooms were clean and comfortable...if a bit small. I will definitely stay there again on my next trip to Omaha.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Omaha is not a hotel town. There's nothing glamorous, nothing historical, nothing elegant about Omaha hotels. They are purely corporate, midscale brands, with basic amenities.

Or so I thought, until I found the Magnolia.

This is a gem of a hotel, in a historic building, right in the center of downtown Omaha. Rooms are good sized, with great beds and baths, and neat as a pin, The staff is young and friendly, and the hotel itself quirky and interesting, without being annoying.

The bar/restaurant was very nice, which is good, because the neighborhood is dead at night, (Omaha is not known for nightlife), If you are dead set on painting the town red, the small entertainment district (The Old Market) is only a few blocks away.

All in all, it's a great place to stay. A sophisticated oasis in a small mid western city.

1  Thank dalangdon
Reviewed June 9, 2008

The hotel seems to be run by college kids or recent graduates. There doesn't seem to be anyone in charge who's over 25. This provides some cheerful, goofy charm, but it may mean, for example, that similarly aged revelers can carouse through the night with impunity, disturbing the sleep of others. Or that a reservation request for a "double double" room can't be honored (but then in, an hour later, it was honored) or that no rollaway beds are available as an alternative. Our room was cozy and had the right amenities, although the sliding bathroom door is less than ideal for privacy, and some of the cable TV channels had audio only. The generous breakfast buffet is a nice feature.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I stayed for one night at the Magnolia in the end of May. I was very impressed by the staff and the property. The rooms are nice and I loved the styling in the bathrooms. There are many little extras at the Magnolia, including the milk and cookies, happy hour, breakfast, and the free Escalade shuttle service. They ahve a great location, close to the Old Market District. I will definitely stay at the Magnolia again when I am in Omaha.

Reviewed May 29, 2008

I was really looking forward to my stay at the Magnolia, so I was really upset to find myself so disappointed. The rooms are very small and walls are very thin. You can hear everything in the adjacent rooms and the hallway. There are no safety rails for the shower, which is raised, so I was nervous every time I stepped out of a wet, raised shower floor. Not only that, but the bathroom door is a sliding door that was engineered badly. If you are staying with someone, you should know that you can see into the shower through the large gap between the door and the wall. The food was ridiculously bad. I ordered a burger medium well and it came back very well done and over seasoned. It was so bad I could not eat the thing. The next morning I thought of skipping breakfast, but was so hungry I gave it a shot. How could they mess up pancakes? Sure enough, the pancakes were awful. I had two bites and gave up. When I complained to the front desk about the food, they didn't seem to care (they were also extremely young - which I noticed is a constant there). Also, I like to relax after a long day of meetings and zone out to TV. Of the few channels they had, the ones that might have been worth watching were scrambled. There are no movie channels, but there are 8 (yes 8) sports channels. I do not recommend staying here.

Reviewed May 13, 2008

Our visit to Omaha was for a graduation and we couldn’t have been happier with our stay at the Magnolia Hotel. This renovated, upscale contemporary charmer was wonderful! PROS: exceptional staff, cleanliness, comfortable beds, nice towels, ottoman at end of bed, complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary beer & wine during happy hour, cookies and milk during the evening, fast shuttle service, 24-hour fully equipped fitness center w/steam room, free newspaper. CON: not much counter space in the bathroom, which I prefer.
We would definitely stay here again.