“Architectural Gem”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Building :: After recently attending a wedding here, I must say, the building itself is breathtaking. It is a historical landmark in Omaha and certainly lives up to the architectural standard. The courtyard where the ceremony was held could not have been more perfect: columns lining the outer court and a large balcony with ascending staircase made for a great evening setting.

The Room :: We shared a room with another couple, being that we are local and really just wanted a sanctuary for during the reception. The rooms were nice, bedding was clean and soft, decor was warm, excellent black out shades, not too much noise. They weren't the largest but for a rehabbed boutique hotel, that can be expected, as they are somewhat structurally limited. I would request extra pillows if that makes or breaks your nights sleep. They were somewhat small and very soft. (I like larger firmer pillows)

The Food & Bev :: The happy hour reception they offered was great, a good beer and wine offering and very socially conducive environment. Comfy couches or large tables to chatting. There was also milk and cookies around 8:00pm -- YUM! The oatmeal raisin were by far the shining stars. Coffee and Tea were hot and delicious. Bar staff in the lobby was friendly and very helpful. The food at the bar was quite good.

The only reason I didnt give 5 out of 5 is for the catered food. Perhaps this is partly to blame on the wedding planners, but the food was subpar inside the wedding. I believe they do all of the cooking in house, otherwise I wouldn't mention it. The sliders were seemingly imitation meat, like White Castle or something. The nacho chips were borderline stale and the molten nacho cheese was not easy on the digestive track. In fact, I ended up eating at the bar to avoid the food in the reception, and was pleased with how that worked out for me. Just a buyer beware on the catering end: Taste test all of your catering selections before deciding to serve this to your 100+ guests. You dont want sick people on your dance floor, that can get messy.

We did have a really fun night and would likely stay at the Magnolia again - their suite is two floors and comes at a somewhat reasonable price....I think I will have to give that a try next time :)

Room Tip: Request extra pillows. Room service/bar menu is AWESOME. Splurge for the 2-floor suite if you can...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I will write the staff at Hotel Magnolia. Wanted to desperately to rate this beautiful property with it's nice lounge, helpful staff and complementary coffee and goodies in the evening and morning a 5-star, but cannot. New beds are an absolute must if the management expects anyone to return to this hotel. Truly it was a lovely place, nicely appointed, and a very convenient two blocks to the historic district that offered shopping and an array of restaurant choices to suite most needs. I believe it was a fluke that the A/c did not cool. Only other small am irrelevant thought I can offer is for the bathroom sliding door to be fitted properly for closure in our particular room. It's a beautiful old building. So much potential!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My kids and I took a quick getaway to Omaha to go to their wonderful zoo. We wanted a hotel close to the Old Market and the Magnolia was wonderful. Beautiful decor and amenities - cookies at night and great breakfast in the morning!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We came for a three-night stay for our thirtieth anniversary. The hotel is sparkling clean, with high-tech services and very friendly and attentive staff, but still maintains an old-world feel. Combine the three services of a hearty, free breakfast with wonderful cinnamon rolls, a free glass of wine in the evening and free (and delicious) cookies as a late night snack, and you go to bed every night with a smile on your face. It is easy walking distance to all the restaurants, bars and shops in the Old Market area, but just far enough removed to be quiet and peaceful at night.

It was everything we hoped for and more. I give it my highest recommendation!

Room Tip: We loved our two-level, King Suite, but if stairs aren't your thing, other great options are ava...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Just a few blocks from Omaha's Old Market area, this restored older hotel has a charm chain hotels lack. Our room was clean, quiet and comfortable, although the weird sliding bathroom door was a big fail. It reminded me more of a stable door than a bathroom door and felt out of place in an otherwise well-appointed room. Maybe this was a feature unique to our room. Breakfast was adequate, evening cookies are a nice touch. Staff was friendly and helpful. Others have complained about noise- we were on the top floor overlooking the courtyard and it was very quiet. A refrigerator in the room would be a nice addition. If you're staying on the weekend, use the free on street parking. There's not enough activity in downtown Omaha on the weekend to make it difficult to find a close parking spot. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room, away from the street
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have been to Omaha more than 2 dozen times. This was our first stop at Magnolia. Better than any place we used previously. Perfect location for dining in nearby OM. A bit more than we usually spend, but worth it as we loved our stay here. Impeccably clean, very friendly, and a very well-cared for building. No complaints from us, to be sure. We had great (included!) food here, which was an incredible bonus. wish we were coming back to Omaha this year. A great stay for us and the room was big, clean, with memorable view. Thanks,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DS_Stockdale
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Would echo other reviewers that a refrigerator in the room would be a nice addition. You're right across from the Old Market area with tons of dining options, so it would be nice to bring leftovers back to the room, etc. The complimentary breakfast, social hour and cookies are nice touches, though I'd say for the upscale nature of the hotel the food was very disappointing. Breakfast seems really nice, but the taste left alot to be desired. My co-worker and I chose to skip breakfast the second morning because it just didn't taste good. That said they had eggs, bacon, oatmeal, potatoes and waffles. Plus some baked goods. It's a nice breakfast compared with a Holiday Inn Express. The room was bright and nice. Though the shower floor was made out of a polished substance making it quit slippery. Overall, I would definitely recommend the place to a friend. The internet was great and easy to connect. Parking was pretty expensive, and valet only, but given the location its worthwhile. They have unlimited ins and outs which is nice.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall have lots of windows (my room had 4 including one in the bathroom), and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business