“A "Boutique" hotel with nothing special than a Standard hotel”

Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was looking for a hotel close to the airport with transportation. The area is in a nice location and the room is modern and updated. The internet works great and is free. I attempted to try the “complimentary” happy hour, but after sitting for more than 30 min. without acknowledgement, left. I tried to sample the breakfast, but they hadn’t finished setting up so I got a coffee and went back to my room. There is a small grocery store in the next block and a variety of restaurant choices at the Market.

The downside is I paid an additional fee for a late check-out (3pm) and was bothered on the hour from 11 am to the time I left by the housekeeping staff who tried to enter my room. At 1 pm, I called the manager at the front desk and he was nice enough to accommodate my request for an even later check-out, but he neglected to advise the housekeeping staff. When I went down for my airport ride, it was clear they were severely understaffed as they had a wedding and the lobby was filled with check-in guests which many they were sending to the restaurant/bar area.

If you are using the airport pick-up/drop-off, make sure to book a prior reservation on both ends. They appeared to have 1 vehicle, but will do their best to accommodate. The driver's also seemed overwhelmed with the arrival/departure of guests and did not know if guests were waiting for airport rides or check-in.

Overall I was satisfied, but am unsure if I would return. A boutique hotel should offer something different/special from a standard hotel and there was no added value/service and with more cost.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jenn50000
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Hotel Omaha

Reviewed October 9, 2012

A lovely historic building within walking distance of Old Market. The food at the hotel was quite good and for those who want to venture out, the choice of really good, reasonably priced restaurants in the area is remarkable. We loved the breakfast buffet, the happy hour and the cookies were just like homemade. We especially loved the library tucked off in a corner. It's the perfect place for a quiet conversation. We hope to make a visit to the Magnolia an annual affair.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2012

It was very nice... the woman at front desk was helpful, much more so than the men, just sayin. There is only one peculiarity in the rooms... the showers are raised higher than a standard step riser, so if you have mobility or knee problems like i do, you will have pain. There's no aid bar, just the sharp-cornered sink to grab onto, which might be an accident waiting to happen. My brother was assured he could get into the bathroom with his wheelchair, but the sliding door opening fell short. Otherwise the rooms were great, and a fantastic comfy bed. Nice breakfast, PACKED on weekends- the happy hour and evening cookies were also reeally nice. I loved being within walking distance of the Old Market... sweet area with lots to do and see and eat. If you want to use the complimentary shuttle service to visit the zoo, gardens, art museum, be absolutely sure you are booked for pickup.

Room Tip: Weekends can be LOUD with the odd wedding guests. Take earplugs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2012

With a three-year old we wanted to be close to Old Market and found it easily walkable, which is nice since parking in OM is tough to find and/or expensive. Rooms were nice and clean. Staff was pleasant, especially the bar tender. Breakfast was tasty, the evening reception was a nice pre-dinner deal and the cookie buffet made us all happy. My daughter said her favorite thing about our trip to Omaha was the hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel building is BEAUTIFUL. But valet parking is a big problem. If I did not have a persistent problem with valet parking, my rating would have been 5 stars (excellent). The court area is spectacular; a perfect area for an evening cocktail. The lounge area is a fabulous area to meet people from all areas of the country and have great conversations. I met couples from Florida, New York, California, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska. Great conversations with all.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff was terrific and friendly, especially the gal at the front desk. She was so helpful when we required a room location change. Very nice stay overall. The cookies were delish and the bartender in the lounge was great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed the little touches which made this hotel a bit different from others we have stayed in recently. Free drinks for an hour 5.30 - 6.30 every evening was very pleasant - lovely cold Zinfandel wine just did the trick. Then at 8 - 10pm, coffee, milk and cookies in the bar - cute and again, very welcome! Wonder who thought of that one?!

During the Sunday we used the free shuttle to take us to the Zoo, return to collect us and take us to the Old Market area, all without hassle and very handy to save us taking our own car, parking it, navigating round a new city, etc etc.

Library holds books to 'trade' so I was able to leave one I just finished, and take another for my onward journey.

There was a wedding on in the hotel but I can't say I heard any noise from it or felt any inconvenience.

We ate 2 nights in the spacious bar and had delicious food - the soup especially was great, and prices reasonable.

Helpful desk staff told us the parking meters were free at weekends, so we were able to park at the corner of the hotel on the street for nothing, until 8.30am Monday morning - that saved $15 per night to use the official hotel parking space / valet parking.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple