“The very best hotel experience we have ever had”

Sonesta ES Suites Omaha
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Omaha, Nebraska
“The very best hotel experience we have ever had”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am a single father of three small children. We are Omaha residents who basically became homeless overnight, due to a health issue discovered at our home. We were at two other local hotels prior to arrival at the Residence Inn, and neither was acceptable for a long-term stay. I also toured the Staybridge Hotel nearby, and found the Staybridge sales staff rude to the point of costing them my business.

I then stopped in unannounced at the Residence in on my lunch hour and was greeted by no less than four smiling professionals at the front desk. There was a fresh, clean scent about the lobby area, and Shannon took me to a table to discuss my family's needs. It was College World Series week, and nearly every room was booked, but Shannon said she would work hard to find us something. Within an hour she called me with a room she was able to secure for us, at a price lower than I had anticipated.

My children, my nanny, and I all arrived at the front desk around 5pm and we were instantly treated like family. Blair, Georgia, Marlo, and Drew showered us with attention and made us feel as if we were the only customers they had seen all day. They took the time to inform us of the numerous hotel amenities for the kids and I to enjoy, starting with the Evening Social that was going on at the time. The Evening Social is a free nightly buffet of dinner items, soft drinks, a variety of wines and beer. It’s almost like an upscale neighborhood block party where guests get together to visit and relax. The only thing better than this is the morning breakfast, which is terrific.

Walking across the property to our room wee saw the basketball/tennis court, the lush, green grass, and the flowers everywhere. It is very much like an oasis in the middle of the city. Upon entering our room, we were elated that it was at least 3 times larger than the other hotels we stayed in that week- and it was extremely clean. I am a very experienced traveler and a bit of a neat freak, and I can tell you there is usually something missed by housekeeping in most hotels. If you travel a lot you know what I mean, you just lower your standards and make the best of it. Not here. This housekeeping staff is by far the best I have ever encountered without exception. They are also very courteous. The refrigerator, the floors, the bedding, all of it- WAS SPOTLESS!

The maintenance crew here is also very friendly and attentive. Jerry and Cory are always hustling this way or that way maintaining the fantastic appearance of the property, and the safety and cleanliness of the swimming pool where my children logged many hours this summer. They were also very kind when my son made a mess in the lobby bathroom.

This hotel also shows respect for its guests by paying for overnight security. Many hotels don't do this, and we are not talking about some guard sitting in his car texting his girlfriend like I have seen at other hotels, these gentlemen constantly patrol the grounds and parking lot on foot at all hours of the night. Having my children here I appreciate this very much.

I have stayed at The Ritz Carlton, The Omni, The Waldorf, Staybridge (San Antonio) and Residence Inn properties in both San Antonio, TX and West Des Moines, IA for months at a time when opening up new offices for my company. All of these locations were acceptable, and better than average. This Residence Inn Omaha Central is FAR AND AWAY BETTER THAN ANY OF THOSE LOCATIONS, AND, WITHOUT QUESTION, THE BEST HOTEL I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. The property, grounds, and location are great, but it is the staff here that truly makes the difference. We were forced to move from our 6,000sq. ft. home on 5 acres in Ponca Hills, to a hotel. This could have been a terrible experience for us all. However, the staff at this hotel has made us feel like family. They really have. They look forward to seeing my children each day, and my children ask to go to the lobby to see them. Blair always hi-fives the kids. Georgia has become a wonderful friend, is sweet enough to help me get juice and food for the kids at breakfast. Marlo prints pictures for the kids to color and actually saved my neck by babysitting for me on her day off once. Drew and Nick work the front desk diligently, always make the effort to ask us if we need anything to make our stay more comfortable. Mary and the ladies in the kitchen keep the great food and drinks on the buffet. My heartfelt thanks goes out to all of these lovely people and all of the rest of the fantastic staff members who make this the great place it is. God bless you.

Folks reading this review may find it so positive they may wonder if it is real, particularly since I included so many glowing reviews of staff members. Let me assure you, it is. My name is James, and I am the President of 25 year-old, a law enforcement and military family owned business, and I have been accused of being difficult to please. I have never written a review of any kind on line before, in fact, I very much dislike the internet. I decided to write this last night after the staff wished my son happy birthday beautiful way. You can trust my word when I tell you, if you need a hotel in Omaha, this is the only place you should stay.

3 Thank james l
Blair R, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Omaha, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Jim,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to review our property. We here at the property could not be happier that we have made your experience one that you and your children will remember. It has been a pleasure to serve you while you have been staying with us here at the hotel. We know how hard it can be to not be in your own home for a period of time. I have showed your review to the entire staff they have all beamed with excitement with your comments.

Thank you again for the very kind words Jim.

Blair Riffel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Nice space. Each room is like an apt with its own outside entry. I think it was 4 units per building, 2 up and 2 down. First floor rooms have a patio (but I would pick 2nd floor because I had a loud walker above me and I could hear them). Nice kitchens, comfortable living room space, clean. very comfortable space. Nice grounds. Free hot breakfast, and free evening happy hour some days with wine and beer. No alcohol outside of happy hour. Would be nice to be able to purchase a glass of wine in the evening. Got the UNO discount of $105 per night. Very inexpensive!

Room Tip: Prefer 2nd floor... Could hear walking above
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear David,

Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are happy that you enjoyed your experience with us while visiting UNO. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Columbia, Maryland, USA
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We have stay many places and can say that this Residence Inn was lovely. Everyone from the manager to every employee we encountered were very nice and bent over backwards to ensure our stay was fantastic! It is truly a gem of a place to stay! It was clean, well equipped, extremely well maintained, with a happy pleasant atmosphere. The service was its crown jewel. We were so appreciative of everything about this place and would do everything we could to stay at this hotel next time we return to Omaha, NE.

Room Tip: Just let them know what you need, and they will amaze you!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Michele,

Thank you very much for your review of our property. I am happy that the service you encountered while here was exceptional! We pride ourselves on our service and enhancing each guests experience while here at our location. You truly were our gem while here during your stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Oklahoma City, OK
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Drove to Omaha for a baseball game. I spoke to Marlo to make our reservations. I told her I was not really high on Marriott properties at this time, because of a couple of bad experiences. She assured me she would make sure I changed my mind.

When we got there after 11:00 pm, our first impression was not good. Didn't appear to be in a really good part of town, and when we walked into the lobby, it wad dark except for behind the desk. The guy at the desk was a joke. There were two people sitting in the dark watching a movie. I was the first of the people to check in. He ran my debit card and said that he got a message, somethings about unauthorized user. I assured him the card was good. He ran it two more times, then just stood there and looked at me. I didn't have another card, so I asked him where there was an ATM. He sent me a couple of blocks away to a bank that had an indoor ATM. Only problem was that you had to have a bank card to get into the door. Found another ATM, and when I went back, I found out he had the same problem with one of the other cards.

Checked into the room and found a nice clean room, except that one of the sets of curtains wouldn't close all the way. Back to the office for paper clips to hold them closed.

The next morning, I went down for breskfast and met Marlo. I told her what had happened. She was horrified, and almost immediately put 15,000 points on my Marriott account. She told me that what we had experienced was not what we should expect, and she made sure she had my cell number so a manager could call me after the weekend. Breskfast was good, with eggs, ham, potatoes, biscuits, toast, waffles, fresh fruit, cereal, oatmeal and bagels. Very tasty, and the lobby looked much better in the light of day.

First impression was terrible, but I think, at the least, the desk guy will get some serious remedial training. Otherwise, this is a very nice older property that has been totally renovated
Big fluffy towels, good breakfast, comfortable beds, and very nice staff, other than the one oddball. Would stay here again, if I made a return trip to Omaha.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank CatchersMom
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that our second impression kept you here with us while in town for the weekend. I can assure I have visited with the associate who was here when you arrived, and I have also commended Marlo on her work while you were here. It was a pleasure to have you here at our hotel and I hope we get to see you next baseball season, if not sooner!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Love Love Love this Hotel. We stayed for 2 weeks and never had one problem from the time we checked in till the time we left.
Service was amazing and they could not do enough for you. We had our children come and spend the night with us, called front desk with in 5 min we had all clean bedding and towels for them. Same thing when we needed any thing always there within 5 mins.
The breakfast was great, pool was clean and well stocked with towels.
we will use this company to all the time...
Thank you for making a good holiday into a great holiday..

Room Tip: Next to the pool and bbq pit..
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your experience while here in Omaha! I remember speaking to you all about football (soccer) and your favorite clubs back home. We were so happy so assist you when you were here! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Got upgraded to a studio room and it was awesome. Have plenty of room to stretch out. 2 beds, 2 baths, and a pull out sofa. 3 tvs, full size fridge and stove. Only down side is not many parking spaces. Breakfast was ok. Has waffle maker so that was a plus. Easy access to mall, stores, and retaurants. Would definitely stay here again when in town.

Room Tip: Get rooms in building 4 or 5 as they are away from street and are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Blair R, Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Omaha, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am happy that your experience was great and your suite was awesome! We look forward to you staying here at the Residence Inn again soon!

Des Moines, IA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We love staying here. We got the 2 bedroom room with the loft. It has 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and a living room and kitchen. The upstairs loft floor craks and squeeks but it didn't bother us. It did bother the people under us who called the front desk saying we were banging and stomping. We were doing nothing of the sort. I did have my 18 months old grandson who was playing. I think the hotel is old and the floor makes noise when you walk across the floor.
the breakfast was good, the poor lady working the breakfast was having a hard time keeping up. But it was a tasty breafast. I would, and plan to, stay again someday.

1 Thank ljslight
Dear Guest,

We love when you stay here as well! Thank you for your review and we are happy your experience was one to remember. We look forward to you staying here again.