“Never Again”
Review of Quality Inn Omaha

Quality Inn Omaha
Ranked #66 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed September 13, 2008

We were looking forward to spending three nights in a row in the same hotel when we arrived in Omaha, Nebraska. We selected this hotel as our destination and requested a room with a whirlpool tub when we arrived.

We were a little concerned about a bad smell in the lobby when we arrived but initially thought it was just a damp smell associated with the pool area being so close.

Upon checking into our room, we noticed the continuation of the bad smell. We turned the air conditioner on to try to clear the air and left to find a restaurant for dinner.

Upon returning to our room, we noticed that the smell was slightly improved but not much and that 2 of the light fixtures above the vanity were burnt out. I went down to the front desk and asked them to send someone to replace them and mentioned that I was not happy about the odor. The girl at the desk said the assistant manager would be in in the morning and I could talk to her about it and she offered me 20% off of our hotel bill.

I returned to our room and we discussed leaving the hotel but decided to remain until the next day because it was already late. Upon closer inspection of our room, we also noticed plastic pieces and dirt on the carpet between the bed and the night table, yellow gum stuck to the side of the night table (it had obviously been there for quite a while), a straight pin and dirt hanging from the back of the door and that the bathroom set up was dangerous. You almost had to step into the shower to close the bathroom door to use the toilet. This room had obviously been constructed after the original hotel was built (probably to accomodate a whirlpool). When the room became too cool from running the air conditioner to try to keep the smell under control, we were dismayed to smell another bad odor from the heater which obviously had not been turned on in quite a while and produced its own smell.

When I went downstairs in the morning and sat in front of the hotel on the bench, I noticed that the coffee cup which had been sitting on a ledge in the front when we arrived the day before was still there and that there were several bags of garbage as well as assorted litter and pop bottles laying around the parking lot.

I went back in to speak to the assistant manager and was told that she wasn't coming in till later that day now. When I gave the front desk staff a written list of everything that was wrong with our stay, she offered me $30.00 off our bill. The maintenance man, who happened to be standing there, apologized for the trash in the parking lot but we did not receive any apology from the staff about anything else in my complaint. I let the staff know that based on our experience at this hotel, we would not be considering another Quality Inn on this or any other vacation. I was totally disappointed by the response to my concerns and by the general maintenance of this property and will never stay here again. We checked out and spent our next 2 days in Omaha in another hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Omaha

Reviewed July 28, 2008

Arrived around 2:30p for check-in. Told our room was not quite ready - asked us to wait approx, 20 min., Left the hotel to attend to some business and returned 1 hour later-room still not ready again asked to wait 20-30 minutes. Not happy! Room fairly clean. Used shampoo bottle cap left in shower area,. Also found debris under bed. Bathroom very small barely able to turn around in it. Poolside room had broken lock on sliding glass door-given a stick to keep it from opening until repair could be made. Staff helpful with direction and generally pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2008

Listed on corporate travel website and picked due to rate. You get what you pay for. When you read the other reviews that say this joint is bad, believe them. OLD everything, stinky, hot, no elevators, rundown. I would rate this one of the top three worst hotels I've stayed in. This place could use a date with a bulldozer.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank crchkc
Reviewed February 27, 2008

I was booked here for business so I had no choice in where to stay. Had read reviews on tripadvisor before staying so I was a little worried, needless to say. Good things about the hotel--staff was nice, breakfast was OK, usual carb stuff, good bedding, bar/restaurant handy for late night, easy location. Bad things--lots of mold and mildew, loud heater (turn it off and don't use it!), loud overall, needs some cleaning and updating, bad pillows. If you get a good price on the room it is tolerable. Otherwise, avoid! If you have ANY allergies, mold, dust, sinus problems, you really must avoid staying here.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank headred
Reviewed December 5, 2007

This is a family oriented motel with some nice touches and some signs of wear, fine if you’re not looking for anything fancy. Amenities are above the most basic motels. The property is located on a busy street, but the rooms are well set back and facing away from it. It’s generally a quiet area, well away from the freeway, but still convenient to it. We were there on a weekend and there were plenty of families with small kids, apparently going to visit Omaha’s large zoo (3rd biggest in the nation we were told).

The room was on the small side, but well stuffed with furnishings. We had a queen bed (which was comfortable), night stand, dresser, rocker, table and chairs, farm scene pictures on the walls, ironing board and iron, phone, coffee maker and a small fridge with a 27” TV sitting on top of it. The only microwave in the available to guests was strangely in the business center which required a special key card from the front desk to access. It did a great job on microwave popcorn. The complimentary high speed internet in our room was a bit slow.

The room had been updated reasonably recently and was generally in decent shape, except that the trim around the false ceiling in the bath area was rather shabby. It looked like the update had pretty much bypassed the bath area, except for a large vanity outside the bathroom, which was nice. The bathroom itself showed some age, with wallpaper peeling from the humidity, and some rust on the tub drain. There had once been a sliding glass door on the tub which had been covered over and replaced with a shower curtain. Beside soap/shampoo they did provide hand lotion but not some designer brand. There was a rather old built-in AC/heating unit in the ceiling above the bath area, with a wall thermostat. There was also a more newly installed wall unit which was the one to use. The old unit worked but was noisy and dusty. There was a large water spot on the ceiling right above its vent. Surprising it wasn’t removed or disabled. Maybe the next update will remove these and fix up the bath areas.

First floor rooms at the back had a sliding glass door to the back parking lot which seemed a bit strange. A small sitting area was pretty much taken up by the outside end of the wall A/C unit. My guess is that there was something more amenable there at one time, maybe a pool or a garden area. It was a bit narrow as a parking area.

The place had a nice pool area with a large pool, an exercise room with several workout machines, and video game stations, none of which we used. The continental breakfast had a Belgium waffle maker which was a plus. Otherwise it was rather ordinary – biscuits and gravy, sausage patties, scrambled egg disks (not good, maybe catsup would help), toast, fruit cocktail from a can, cereal, yogurt, coffee and apple and orange juice.

The halls were a bit dark and the entry to the rooms was a bit unusual with short T shaped hallways, perpendicular to the main hallway, with the doors for two rooms at the top of the T.

The staff was friendly, but we didn’t ask much of them. They had free USA Today (weekdays) and the local paper (every day) at the front desk.

There is a nightclub on site, the Shark Club, but we didn’t notice any noise from it. The main effect we noticed was that the north parking lot was full at night. There seemed to be adequate parking without hotel guests needing this lot. Motel parking was well separated, so there didn’t appear to be any spillover into the motel lots.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aBadgerandaGopher
Reviewed November 27, 2007

We were booked close to the nightclub and heard the pounding of the music all night until it closed-plus drunks fighting in the parking lot right outside room and women screaming. The police had been going through the hotel and lobby areas earlier when we were having pizza in pool area looking for someone, so we felt a little uneasy even before the bar scene heated up that night. Room had new carpet and nice beds and linens though, and the breakfast offered was nice and the lobby clean. The paint in pool area needed scrapped and redone outside all poolside rooms and it was almost too humid to visit very long poolside with family. Since the nightclub took up all the parking spots close to our room , I parked at west (back) of building -not lit well - felt very unsafe to go to car to get things by myself- won't ever stay here again or recommend to anyone for business or pleasure stays. Just my opinion but there are many other hotels on the same street we have stayed at and I will return to those again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank OnTheRoad2nite
Reviewed August 30, 2007

After reading some of the reviews, I was a little worried that one of my favorite hotels in Omaha was falling apart. Not so. Of course there are some areas of maintenance that need to be addressed, but what hotel does not have this.
When we checked in, the clerk was very nice and answered all of our questions. She offered us reduced priced tickets for the zoo and was just all around very friendly.
The poolside room was very comfortable, and not crowded even after we opened up the rollaway. I was a little worried about noise with the pool right outside our door, but we never heard much, even though there were a lot of people in the pool. The rooms are nestled into their own hallway, so there is no noise coming from kids or people talking in the hallway.
If I had to find something to write that was not positive, it would be that I think that the housekeeping staff rinsed out a couple of glasses that we had water in and left them for us to use again without adding more glasses. The way to remedy this was I went to the front desk and they gave me some clean ones.
We left our overnight bag in the room, and once we arrived home, I called the hotel and was told that I was going to have to call in the morning to talk to the housekeeping staff. I thought that the housekeepers would have informed the front desk that they found it. Once I called, they told me that they would send it out that afternoon at no cost to me. A week and a half later and I still have not seen it. I called and she said that she just sent it out a few days ago since she had other packages that needed to be sent. I would have loved to have known this because I would have had a family member get the bag and mail it to me since it contained my meds and my glasses.

Stayed: August 2007