“Clean hotel-awesome Staff!”
Review of Omaha Marriott

Omaha Marriott
Ranked #46 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This was my second visit to the hotel. Both times I was there the staff was amazing. I was greeted right away and I think they even remembered me! Everyone was extremely friendly all the way down to housekeeping. Again the room was immaculate, the pool was awesone and the bartenders acted like old friends. They supplied directions to the zoo immediatley which was helpful.

I will stay again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chef0308
Jim9597, General Manager at Omaha Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Chef 0308,

Thank you for your kind comments. You have definitely pointed out some of the assets of our hotel-the service. Most notably the bartenders, the do a fabulous job and we get numerous comments about them.

We look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit to the Omaha Marriott.

Regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2012

There are so many problems with this place. I don’t even know where to start.
So I’ll just list them in chronological order, from the beginning of my stay,
until the end of my stay when I checked out early because the place had made me
physically ill!

When I checked in, there were two girls at the front desk. One checked me in,
and the other provided “commentary.” What I mean by “commentary” is this: My
stay was originally supposed to be for 3 weeks. Upon seeing the duration of my
stay in the computer, she made the following statements: “Wow! You are staying
for a long time. A loooooooooooooonnnggg time! The only thing I can think is
that you must be in the dog house and gotten kicked out!” Then she stared at
me, as if expecting me to tell her what I was doing in town, and why I was there
so long. She thought it was funny. I didn’t. It came off as intrusive and
entirely unprofessional.

My room was on the 4th floor. Immediately after getting off the elevator, I was
greeted by a very strong, offensive odor. It’s hard to describe. But if
pressed to do so, I would say it’s similar to a cheap perfume. Seriously. Disgusting. Strong. Odor.

If only the odor was limited to the hallway, which it was not. Yes, it crept
into the room, and made itself welcome. Gross.

I tried to open the sliding glass door to the balcony, to let in some fresh air.
It wouldn’t budge. Not a bit. I didn’t bother to check with my friends at the
reception desk to find out if they had a crowbar. Because that’s what it would
have taken to pry open this door.

The room. Yes, it’s been “updated” in recent years. But if you look at all, you
see and feel that it was a “cosmetic” update at best. Even the nonobservant will
see through the surface. The air vent in the shower looks like it hasn’t been
cleaned since the hotel opened in the 1980s. The door is beatup, and you can
tell where hole had been filled over the years from previously fitted hardware.
The lack of adequate electrical plugs means that the one plug by the desk has
multiple converters plugged into one another – an obvious fire hazard.

After a night of going to bed with the odor, waking up to the odor, and trying
to live with the odor the next day, I switched rooms. I was relocated on the
6th floor. Which presented an entirely different yet no less annoying problem:
mold in the A/C. I am a person with asthma and allergies. I react immediately
when exposed to mold-laden air, which is exactly what happened. After a night
in the 6th floor room, my throat, eyes, lungs, and sinuses burned badly.

There were other annoyances in my 6th floor room. Housekeeping completely
IGNORED the Do Not Disturb sign I left on the door. Once on my second day in
this room, and twice on my third day in this room, housekeeping tried to enter
the room. I had the security clasp closed on the door each time, so they were
not able to get in.

Another issue is the complete lack of sound insulation between the adjoining
room doors. So I got to listen to my neighbor snore loudly for two entire
nights. And because the adjoining room doors are located right next to the
bathrooms, I also got to hear various noises that he produced in his bathroom
that shall go unmentioned. But suffice it to say, it would be difficult to
judge which was more disgusting – hearing these noises, or breathing the odor on
the 4th floor.

One more thing I will mention is the staff. Some are “less than professional”
in their appearance. I’ll leave it at that.

Remember that loooooong stay that I had planned here? That was cut short, due
to the aforementioned issues, and others. The young man who checked me out was
attentive enough to notice that I was leaving early, and inquired as to the
reason. I verbalized some of the issues, and he wrote them all down. To his
credit, he apologized profusely and seemed quite disturbed by what he heard. He
ASSURED me that I would hear from the manager of the hotel later in the day in
order to address this. I did receive an email (not a phone call) from the hotel manager a few days later. However, none of the specific issues were addressed. He simply offered to issue me 20,000 Marriott Rewards points, and that was it.

I could go on, but I think this is quite enough. This hotel does not deserve the Marriott name. It should be leveled and replaced with a new structure. Repeated renovation investments in a tired property like this are a mistake. This place needs to be leveled, and rebuilt from scratch. And while they're at it, hire a new manager and staff.

If this review sounds extreme, stay there and see for yourself. But be sure to
take a gas mask for the odors and mold, and earplugs for the offensive sounds
from adjoining rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank eilig
Reviewed August 12, 2012

One night meeting for me.
They run a very good meeting for 200 people with AV, trade stands etc.
Arrived late almost midnight. My phone rang as I landed at airport - calling to make sure I was coming because they were full - asking after food options as they we closing.
Checked in, internet codes, food - speed dialed Pizza delivery (my choice) from front desk.
Offered bar which is open late but with limited food options.
The room is a standard, comfortable bedding etc.
Food delivery in 15 mins.
Next day, I needed an earlier ride to the airport to try and get home earlier - they organized even though the College world series baseball was in town and taxis and limos difficult to come by.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank DoesNotGetOutMuch
Jim9597, General Manager at Omaha Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear DoesNotGetOutMuch,

Thank you for your kind words. It is extremely satisfying to know that our staff took the extra measure to ensure that your stay was comfortable and productive. Arriving late in a city can pose some unique challenges, which is why we truly stress the importance of our service.

Thank you again, and I look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The staff was super friendly, helpful and courteous. No matter the time of day, employees always greeted me with a smile and an offer to help or assist in some way. The bedding was also absolutely out of this world. Pillows of all different varieties to meet my preference, super comfy duvet and padding that I just sunk into. The computer connections (plugs, wireless..etc) were very well done.

The facilities themselves could use some updating. The elevators had no AC and at the recent 100+ temps in Omaha, this made the ride on the elevator quite unpleasant. The decor also feels old and needs updating.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Jim9597, General Manager at Omaha Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear Irisheyes0213,

Thank you for your generous comments. Our staff gets extremely motivated when hearing of such positive feedback as yours. I agree with you about the bedding so much, that I myself have purchased one for my home!

One of the biggest issues of being on the road is the lack of power outlets/connections. When Marriott designed the new connectivity panel by the desk, we have heard nothing but extremely positive feedback. To be able to plug in your computer and/or electronic devices at the desk-yet have them broadcast through the flat screen is incredible.

I do apologize for the lack of A/C in the elevators. I looked at the historical numbers, and this building (as many others) have never endured such a lengthy span of high temperatures. We have been working diligently to keep the building as comfortable as possible. And yes I agree the decor needs updating. Which thanks to you and feedback from others; we will be starting our upgrades in two weeks. Once complete, we will have very dynamic atmosphere for our travelers.

Again, thank you,

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I like that the Marriot Company uses all white on bedding including coverlet. I stay in the Marriot Company hotels for this very reason. The room was clean with the exception of the vent in the shower. It was very dusty. There was broken glass on the window ledge. The pool area needed cleaning along the walls - there were some dead bugs. Some of the hallway vents were rusty. I thought the restaurant prices were very reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Diane55316

Diane55316,

Thank you for choosing our hotels during your travels. We also agree that the move Marriott made to the white linens was fabulous. It was also nice that they made the duvet cover removable so that it is much easier to launder all of the linens daily.

I do, however, apologize for some of the minor cleanliness issues. We just finished numerous weeks in a row of being extremely busy and a few things were overlooked- but absolutely no excuse for that.

When you come back in the future, you will be pleased to see a new look in the lobby and even newer concept for the restaurant (with the same reasonable prices)! We are extremely excited.

Jim Crawford

When you come back in the future, you will be pleased to see a new look in the lobby and a re-concepting of the restaurant (with the same reasonable prices). We are extremely excited.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed at the Omaha Marriott this past weekend. We went to cycle on the Wabash Trace Trail in Council Bluffs, IA, but wanted a full Marriott in Omaha instead of a Fairfield or Courtyard that was closer. We had planned to go midweek to beat the crowds but the weekend rate was too good to pass up. We received free breakfast vouchers since the Concierge Lounge would be closed (Gold Member) The first evening the sink backed up with some ugly gray/black sewage. We contacted the front desk in person on the way out to dinner. They were so sorry that happened in our room and would get right on it, they also credited our Rewards account with 5000 pts. for putting up with it (It was fixed when we got back)

Check in and front desk staff - Excellent

Chop House for breakfast - Very friendly, a big crowd on Saturday but they tried to accommodate.

Pool Area - At one point I counted 17 kids in the outdoor pool and 12 in the indoor...and it's not that big (It was 100 degrees that weekend)

Room - Typical, maybe a little more cramped. If one person was standing at the foot of the bed, by the TV, it was hard for someone to pass. Heard the interstate noise a bit.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ksols

Dear Ksols,

Thank you for your positive comments. I am truly sorry that you had to experience such a plumbing issue. I am extremely pleased that our great staff was able to take care of the situation immediately. Unfortunately, as with our own houses, things like this happen. I am glad that you recognized the front desk staff, as we know they are very experienced, friendly and service oriented.

But thank you for giving the Omaha Marriott a chance in your travels. With our location, it lends to a much more relaxing and quiet getaway.

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. The location was good for my purposes, but wouldn't be convenient for downtown meetings. The hotel exterior and interior is in need of a refresh, but was generally clean and well maintained. The service was good and the price surprisingly modest. Good value.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Dear Architectandmusician,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad we were able to offer you a productive trip due to our location. We really strive to offer such great service as you experienced. To your other comment, we are all very excited to be embarking in a refresh of the hotel. Soon we will be able to offer an extremely vibrant, productive and enjoyable hotel.

I look forward to meeting you upon you next visit to the hotel.

Thanks you,