“Housekeeping staff doesn't follow procedures & mangement does not call back”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Omaha - Downtown/Old Market
Ranked #12 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My family has stayed here many times, great location and free breakfast are pluses.

But I came done with a bad stomach bug (not their fault) and missed packing clothing from a dresser drawer. When I called as soon as I realized it (between flights) Sean (housekeeping manager) asked why I waited 6 hours to call and could he call me back tomrrow as he was just getting off work.

My mistake, I should have said no. But i said yes and my clothing including favorite sweater was never found. Sean said their procedure is for the housekeeper to clean the room and leave all drawers open for supervisor to check. Items left in room are turned into housekeeping and at the end of the day to lost and found. He did call me back the next day and i even texted him photos of missing underwear, socks and sweater. He did check the housekeeper's cart, lost and found and even the room but no luck. (someone did occupy the room for one night after i left.)

Since their procedures obviously were not followed, I called and spoke with Jacqueline the front desk manager who had been helpful during our stay. She called once, said she would check and I never heard from her again, even after i called and left another message for her.

I expect a Hilton brand to have a company culture of standards that are followed. I totally realize I am responsible for leaving my clothing in the room. But where were their procedures and follow up? Is management ignoring a customer's call "standard porcedure"?

Last night I sent a complaint to Hilton via their website contact form and got a "canned" reply. even tho i listed my cell number for a response.

"Thank you for contacting Hilton Guest Assistance regarding your experience with the Embassy Suites Hotel. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced concerning your lost items.

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotels against Hilton's high service and quality standards. Comments from our guests enable us to continually improve, exceed quality standards, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our mission to be the first choice of the world’s travelers. The time taken along with the effort made to share your comments with us is most appreciated.

We shared your comments with the General Manager of the hotel to review and address accordingly. Hilton Worldwide values your patronage and appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Again, we extend our apologies, and hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Thanks, Lasaundra Irving, Guest Experience Specialist "

Next time I will go back to Marriott where the standards are followed and manager's return customer's calls.

1  Thank IslandzGirl
Julie C, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Omaha - Downtown/Old Market, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

I am truly sorry you were not satisfied with our service or the response you received. Our General Manager did address this issue, and I apologize this happened to you. I know what an inconvenience and frustration this must have caused. We will strive to do better in the future. Thank you for providing us with your feedback because it does show us where we need to improve.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Omaha - Downtown/Old Market

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The inside of the hotel is great with a great location, however the check-in staff was terrible. We were there for a wedding reception and the place was way under staffed and they did a poor job serving the guests.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our hotel. I apologize you did not receive the quality guest service that is expected with Embassy Suites. We value your feedback and are always looking for opportunities to improve. I hope we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future with the expectations that we place upon ourselves in the hospitality industry and Embassy Suites.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Staff came to room after my husband called to say beds had not been made. He was sleeping when cleaning staff came previously and I told them to just do bathroom so as not to awaken him. He did not know I had told staff this. They came immediately and were very gracious and accepted our apologies.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Julie C, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Omaha - Downtown/Old Market, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We understand everyone may run on different schedules, not necessarily our schedule! Thank you for your patience and I’m so happy we were able to accommodate you when it was convenient for you. We value your feedback and as a guest we want to make sure you are receiving the best service we can possibly give you, at your convenience. Thanks again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Let me start by saying we've stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years and each time we return, there seems to be less and less to return for. The location itself is great although the hotel rooms and management/staff is starting to deteriorate. Upon check in, before I was even greeted by the front desk staff I became aware that there was an issue regarding feeding the koi fish (my 5 year old daughter loves this hotel because of the koi fish in the lobby). The manager said the front desk staff, "and make sure that family knows that the fish don't get fed every 15 minutes!" They weren't speaking about our family but about another family who apparently was enjoying the fish while they were there-none of my business, although it was made mine when the front desk person then turned to me and said, "Would you like to feed the fish?" in a sarcastic tone. After being presented with 2 bottles of spring water in a paper gift bag for being a silver member (these are normally left in the rooms-but I guess it seems like a bigger deal if you get it presented in a gift bag?) I was told to fill out a form to promise not to have parties or break furniture, leave my kids to run amuck in the hallways, etc. I asked if they had issues with these sorts of things as I had never experienced any issues with noise at this hotel before and the clerk proceeded to explain the form to me. I get it. The whole check in process for me was a little tacky to say the least. We got into our room and I requested a room far from the elevator, needless to say we were in a room 2nd door from the elevator. My Hiltons honors request was completely ignored, although I didn't think it was a big deal. We get inside and I open the curtains to see that our view is of the roof and some technical equipment (maybe air conditioners?) so I laugh and show my Dad and kids our wonderful view and my 5 year old Daughter says, "They must not like us very much at the front desk!" How perceptive, lol.

Next issue came when I called the front desk about getting internet service for my kids iPad. The clerk tells me to just go on to Hiltonhonors.com and sign in using our last name and room number. Not having used hotel internet without my Husband's technological knowledge I thought, "how can I go to hiltonhonors.com if I have no internet?" So when I asked that the clerk laughed at me and said he didn't understand what I was talking about because he's never signed on to internet from a guest room before. Not very helpful and a bit frustrating after my check in experience. I figured my teenager would be more helpful and I hung up the phone-not very difficult to sign on after all. We did have to pay 10.95 per device per 24 hours, so between 2 ipads and 1 laptop probably would've been better to book a room with complementary wifi.

On a shorter note- valet was friendly and helpful and quick-thank you!

Coffee service was wonderful-although shut down between 2 and 4.

Breakfast also has gone down hill-cut backs on variety of fruit, cartons of chocolate milk, no bagels or toast. Omelette bar was great, lots of selection there.

And the hotel was quiet-lots of people but no parties or kids running up and down the hallways.

Rooms are clean/comfortable but need updating-shower surround was cracking where rod attaches to wall and mirror was aging around the edges, remote didn't work-probably just batteries-didn't call front desk to ask for new.

Didn't dare ask to feed the fish ; -)

Room Tip: Have wifi included if you plan to use your devices.
1  Thank UBERMOMOF5

Thank you for your loyalty to the Hilton brand hotel family and for providing us feedback on your experience at the Embassy Suites Omaha – Downtown/Old Market. When a guest stays at a Embassy Suites hotel, they expect and deserve, at the very least, quality accommodations and service. Based on your feedback you provided, we failed to meet these most basic expectations during your stay. I apologize for the lack of service you received. Your business is important to us and I hope you will give us a chance to make it right on a future stay.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great place to stay if you are planning a trip to Omaha Business or Pleasure. Big rooms, good beds great staff in the hart of down. The water gardens and creeks that run through the hotel make it very relaxing.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Susan, the GM, has really turned this property into a hotel that Embassy Suites can be proud of. It is clear that she has trained the staff very well and that they understand the real meaning of the term "hospitality". This is our sixth year at this hotel for the Berkshire Hathaway meeting and we could not be more pleased. Melanie Hegwood, the Group Reservation Manager is to be commended for her professionalism and amazingly quick responsiveness. Her attention to detail is flawless! Congratulations on a terrific management team and staff.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Julie C, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Omaha - Downtown/Old Market, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

What a wonderful and thoughtful review! Your kind words are the reason we come to work each and every day. We are proud to work for our General Manager, Susan Madsen, and in return for all of her support we are honored and enjoy giving our guests an exceptional experience in our hotel. Thank you also, for mentioning Melanie. She is a super star here at our Embassy Suites and she takes great pride in the groups she serves. You will be happy to know she was nominated and won our Associate of the Month and Making a Difference award for all her hard work for Berkshire. It is refreshing to hear you acknowledge the people who work behind the scenes. We all look forward to serving you for your 7th year and again, Thank you for taking the time to tell us, Thank you.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

It was as one would expect from an Embassy Suites. This one in downtown Omaha couldn't be more convenient to the Old Market and conference/athletic venues. However, it's in sore need of renovation. The rooms smelled musty and the furniture and bathroom fixtures appeared as if they have proved the test of time. I would stay here again because of its convenience, however I'd keep my stay brief.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We value your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve. I’m glad you enjoyed our historic Old Market. We take great pride in our city. We do realize the need to update and renovate. We are excited to have a few large renovation projects scheduled for this year in our rooms, atrium and ballroom areas. We hope to be able to serve you again in the future and hope you can come back to enjoy some of our updates!