WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Omaha
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
“They aimed to please”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at the Deco XV while on business in Omaha. As with most cities, downtown lodging is quite expensive, and I was very intrigued by the $118 prepay I found on travelocity.

The decor of this historic hotel is stunningly beautiful. Traditional art deco in the entryway and lobby has been complemented by what I will call "deco nouveau," or art deco with 21st century touches.

To say I was pleased would be an understatement. My King Suite room was immaculately clean, the bed comfortable and the bedding soft and luxurious (but what's with the small pillows that seem to be the trend in hotels these days?).

I also was very impressed with the full-body shower. I was concerned that some reviews here and on other sites had mentioned lack of hot water, but this was not an issue for me. As hot as I wanted, and for as long as I wanted...from the cascading shower head to the six body jets.

I was also impressed with the fleece bath robe in the closet, as well as the slightly larger-than-usual bottles of shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, and hand/body lotion. Cordless phones and two 36" flat screens rounded out the amenities. Missing from the room, however, was a channel guide.

Given that my stay was on a December week night, noise was not an issue for me, however I did notice traffic noise.

The service provided was outstanding, from the friendly greeting by the doorman, to the front desk clerks, to the parking valets. Valet parking is complementary, by the way, as is a Mercedes-Benz shuttle to/from any location in a 3-5 mile radius from the hotel.

The bartender in the Encore lounge was also very helpful, keeping me stocked with ice since the 6th floor ice machine was out of order. The lounge also boasts a beautiful (if not slightly out of tune) grand piano, and beautiful art deco styling.

I was delighted with my stay at this hotel. While not perfect, it is obvious that the staff and management of Hotel Deco XV aim to please, and service is a huge priority for them.

They'll get repeat business from me the next time I am in town.

Room Tip: IF you are concerned about noise, ask for a room not facing the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Mike B
Hotel D, Manager at Hotel Deco XV, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for all of your compliments. We take great pride in our service and are very pleased to receive feedback. We look forward to your next stay at the Hotel Deco XV.
Josh Houston- Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

A company that I was doing some freelance work for actually booked me at this hotel. I'd previously done some research into Omaha hotels in the past and this hotel had been high on my list, so I was pleased to have the opportunity to stay there. We arrived after 10pm on a Wednesday night, so it was pretty quiet. The bar was already closed and there was no line at the front desk. I suppose if there were more than 6 people trying to check in at once, it could get crowded in the lobby, but it's a beautiful and charming historic building, no big deal. I had been booked in a King Suite room and was shocked when I opened my door. I had a front foyer, a sitting room with a wet bar and desk, a separate bedroom with a beautiful bed, and a huge modern bathroom. The bed was inviting and comfortable, I never heard a peep from the hallway or other rooms, and the staff was incredibly courteous. They also offered a free shuttle to any place we wanted to go. And since the hotel bar was closed, we asked Byron (SUPER NICE!) to take us to the brewery in the Old Market district. We ended up just walking back afterwards because it really is so close to the hotel.

My only complaint is about the shower, and it's not really a complaint. As previous people have stated, the showers are a statement piece of these rooms. It comes with 4-5 body sprayers, a handheld sprayer and an overhead rain-like sprayer. But in order to operate them, you need instructions. They provide these instructions on a piece of paper in the bathroom, but they aren't very clear. I had to use a lot of trial and error to get the overhead to turn on. Once I figured it out, it was pretty nice, but there wasn't a ton of water pressure and I would have preferred that the water was hotter. I had mine turned up as high as I could get it, and it wasn't super hot. Had all of these things been better, I may have never left the shower at all, it's potentially awesome.

Overall, I would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SarahsAdventures
Stamford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Entrance on ground floor quite small, so reception was cold and formal. Efficient staff.
Rooms large, clean and beautifully decorated, fabulous large windows in our room, giving wonderful feeling of space and light. Noise not a problem on night we stayed
Great 'body' shower in bathroom!
Good location, with valet carparking
Stayed for 1 night and left early in the morning so not able to comment on breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pumaparker
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I rarely write reviews, but I felt I had to warn other travelers of a wolf in sheep’s clothing.
This hotel is very well restored to the "Deco" feel. Lobby is a bit warn, but lighting is very nice.
I will start by saying I was a very tired traveler that was looking to be spoiled by a comfy bed and posh surroundings. I am in my 40's, not so far removed from the younger generation, but the staff made me feel old. Everyone was young.... warning bells. I expressed my need for the desire of a quiet nights rest. Yes, bed was comfy, room was large and clean. All was going well as we settled into our room. We ordered room service of a lovely steak au poivre. It took a bit, but a young staff member presented the tray of food, and we tucked in right away.... wait, something is wrong, no napkins, no silverware, no salt or other items one would expect on a food tray. We had to call back down and ask for the items we needed. We were told that we had them... no really we said, we do not. Young person came back up, checked that we did not have them, and then handed us what we needed to eat out meals. She did apologize, but now our meal was cold. The night ticked on, and we settled into our sleep. From about midnight to about 3am or later, I heard the thumping of music, and the screeching of drunken ladies. There is a bar next door that has been around for some time and, on a Saturday night is in full swing. Needless to say, I did not sleep. I also did not call down to change rooms since my partner was able to sleep (grr).
I complained in the morning, and was told that, yes they are aware of the noise, people have complained..... They KNEW about the noise....but of course, you cannot pick your neighbors.
Okay, I get that you cannot control the noise outside, but I am not kidding, the noise was like I was at street level with a window open. I was located on the 10th floor! After so many complaints, and charging $199 a room, I would think they might invest in better windows. I stayed in a hotel in the middle of Times’ Square in New York, and I slept like a baby, never heard a peep from outside. It gets worse. They could not read my card from the fax sent by Orbitz (never book through them), so she ran my card again. She apologized for noise, but never breathed a work of a discount. I get home and check my Credit Card statement a few days later to see I was not only charged from Orbitz (never book through them), but the hotel charged me again the next day. Now I was charged $366 for a $199 room (long story on math).
I called when I got a break from work the following week to complain. I reached another young person who told me she would leave a message for the general manager (I called during the day). No response for a few days, so I called back and left a voicemail, and again, and then called back to speak to a person, and he was very polite and helpful. The next day I finally got a call back from the manager, and she indicated she never received any of the messages, apart from the one taken by the helpful man. I asked for a refund, and a discount, and two days later, got my refund... no discount. I could forgive the absence of a discount, but really, I had to jump through so many hoops, and had a not so pleasant experience, one would think that a discount would be a nice token. Oh well. If you like to spend a considerable sum on a room that you won’t be able to sleep in, by all means, this hotel is great for that! If you are in Omaha, and cannot find a room elsewhere, do not stay on the east side (I was in room 1012), maybe, just maybe, you might get s few hours sleep (or bring ear plugs).

Room Tip: East side rooms are the noisiest, no sleep there on Bar nights.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank minniapple
South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were a bit hesitant about staying at the Hotel Deco XV because of some of the reviews regarding noise, no hot water, etc. Our experience staying at the Hotel Deco XV just could not have been any more pleasant from start to finish. The rooms are absolutely perfect, we had ample hot water to take long showers, the staff was extremely friendly and the lobby is gorgeous. As another guest had pointed out, this is an old hotel and the windows do not provide superior noise control. We were on the 6th floor and you could hear some noise from the traffice and such but nothing that would prevent you from sleeping. The ice maker did not work on our floor however the bartenders were always more than happy to fill it for you. I would not hesitate to stay at the Hotel Deco again. We did make our reservation on Hotels.com as we got a better rate than what we were offered booking direct at the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor to reduce street level noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank sophiaelise
Griswold, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel to celebrate my birthday and our first year anniversary. First off, I have to commend the staff at Hotel Deco - Michelle was incredibly helpful in setting up everything prior to us arriving (champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in the room and a couples massage prior to dinner). Keith at the front desk was also very friendly and helpful. He always welcomed us with a big smile and asked us how our stay was going. In fact, when my husband and I got back from dinner we found a nice note from the staff wishing us a Happy Anniversary along with a gift certificate for breakfast at the Zin Room the next morning.

Next, the rooms. We stayed in the King Whirlpool Suite in room 720. The room was absolutely breathtaking!!! The decor and ambiance definately added to the romance my husband and I were seeking that weekend. The bed, pillows and linnens were amazingly soft and comfortable. I particurlarly liked the controllable thermostat in the room. The bathroom is nice and spacey, the toilettries are top notch and the decor is gorgeous.

The lobby and bar area are also beautifully decorated and fun and comfortable spots to just hand out. My husband and I stopped in to have a couple drinks before our massages. The bartenders were very friendly and the atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing. I thought the piano player was a nice touch!! Try the Joan Collins martini - YUM!!!!

My one complaint, on an otherwise perfect weekend, was the lack of hot water. My husband and I checked in at 4:00pm on a Saturday and checked out at 11:00am the following day. Not once did we ever have hot water. Luckily we didn't have a chance to use the whirlpool, otherwise, that would have been a huge disappointment. I understand that the hotel is an older hotel and I knew this could be an issue prior to booking with Hotel Deco. However, when I commented on it to the front desk staff, the girl just looked at me and said, "well, it was a cold night". LOL Okay.....

Overall, we had a wonderful time and are looking forward to out next stay.

Room Tip: I would definately recommend room 720 and a massage from Sue!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our stay at Hotel Deco was very nice! I thought the room was wonderful. Clean, neat, great style. Very different. (I had a similar experience in another city with a renovated building converted into a hotel and it got me interested in booking that way in future trips) It was nice to feel as though we were in a small apartment rather than a standard hotel room. The room service breakfast that I ordered was delicious!! Very great service.There were a few little details that could be spruced up though (paint overspray, repairs to towel hooks that revealed old paint, some scuff marks on walls... some people care more about details than others... but it matters. When you decorate and create a beautiful space with wonderful furniture and decorations, then everything should be in tip-top shape)
It was nice to be so close to the Old Market for shopping and dining, this was a huge bonus. And the price was absolutely worth it. I noticed that a lot of people have complained about a local music club that has made an large amount of noise - we did not have that problem; they were doing construction on a building next door which may be a little noisy for some, personally I didn't mind - but I must say that is something that as a traveller you are responsible for. If you don't do your homework beforehand, then shame on you. The hotel - to an extent - cannot control that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business