“Nice But No Banana”
Review of Hotel Deco XV

Hotel Deco XV
Ranked #17 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Nice room, amazing German water torture shower contraption.

Be good if I stopped there, but I can't.

The breakfast dining is non-existent, the associated restaurant was not open at the 7.30AM we tried. Had to walk into old town for some brekky.

Noisy - partying people up until past midnight and no response from the front desk.

The elevator was populated by a skunk family - at least that's what it smelled like.

I think I'll be staying back at the Magnolia or Doubletree from now on. Have expressed my dissatisfaction to the front desk clerk and our corporate lodging folks.

The only saving grace was the young lass at the bar (T?) who looked after our thirst with style and generosity.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I dragged in after 7 hrs of travel at 11:00pm. At first i refused to be moved by their exuberance. I mentioned I was hungry and they found an open restaurant and promptly drove me there and picked me up. The room is ultra clean modern and very cool. I am a road warrior and it's been a long time since I've been treated this well.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank garp57
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Went to visit a friend in Omaha and wanted a different experience than all the bigger hotel chains. The room was great and everything was in order for us to stay we even arrived a day early and they let us stay. You can tell the building is old but it IS old and they have taken care of it. The bartender was great and the Zin Room next door was delicious when we went for breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rachel F
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Up all night. We were going to spend the day shopping but left at 5am, party's all night man outside screaming at 4am.employees stood outside and did nothing, when I complained they were very rude and would do nothing

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank mybobbydog
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Great room. Completely remodeled. Zin room next door is great compliment! Service staff excellent. Valets responsive.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank ramblinmo
Reviewed May 19, 2012

So the place looks OK, the lobby bar looks intriguing, and the room, at least for starters seemed fine if not exceptional. A room down the hall from us seemed to have a huge party going on, but then around 10 o'clock everything quieted down and we thought things would be fine. That was til about midnight, when the screaming revelers returned. Screaming, laughing, drunken arguing, not just in their room, but in the hallway. We called the front desk, and the guy who answered seemed aware of the issue and said, "yeah, we're going to have to kick those guys out." OK, we thought, this might be entertaining and then we can get to sleep. But they never got kicked out. We called the front desk again at 2, and again at 3. In the meantime the partiers were eating Lunchables in the hallway and arguing like only drunk people can.

Worst night ever. When we checked out the next morning, we insisted on talking to a manager. The desk clerk was sheepish if not apologetic, and gave us the name of the manager who he said would contact us the following day. Never heard from her; not a word. The good news is they never charged our credit card for the stay, but still; inexcusably unprofessional. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank mattman26
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Let me first preface this with respect to the lovely individuals who are forced to try and succeed with so little in terms of training, experience, and the tools to fulfill the promised extraordinary experience that the marketing materials promise. One might walk into the front lobby and be wowed by the restored 1930s era art deco stonework and intricate ceiling relief. After looking a little closer you will see paint caked on the ceiling in places, echoing what will become the theme of this review. Bad execution.
First and foremost, the Deco Promises an extraordinary experience. I suppose we could argue what this means and what sort of services one could expect from a hotel promising this, but I can only address the lack of expected services from even a lowly motel 8.
During a stay last January I was lucky enough to have flown in the day before an important Merrill Lynch corporate meeting being held in the conference rooms supplied by the Deco. For reference I was made aware that the hotel had been having trouble maintaining a reasonable occupancy rate until this weekend and would be the first time in over 5 months that the Deco had been at capacity. This particular morning a large portion of the guests were attending a series of meetings at 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. The fiasco that was that morning is indescribable when it comes to hotels. The Hot water supply was not correctly measured to the point that the showers everyone has been so enamored with would only supply ice cold water by 7:15 A.M.
If I could only illustrate the scene caused by some of the most affluent people in the world enraged by lack of such a simple amenity such as a warm shower I would surely be a successful writer myself. Alas this is not the case.
Early on in my relationship staying at the Deco I observed that the paint job around the halls and rooms seemed almost amateurish. Paint drop streaks on some of the walls gave the impression of cost cutting to the extreme. This has only been exaggerated by wear and tear over the last few months. Of recent note are the missing room numbers and water damage on the ceiling of the 7th floor. This is only made worse by the fact that the 7th floor contains some of the most unique rooms in the building.
There are guest rooms in the building that are so near mechanical hardware that sleeping in an otherwise deserted weekday downtown Omaha is nearly impossible. The whirring of machines was so terrible in one room that I asked to be moved at about 2 in the morning one night.
At this point I would like to address the relationship between the hotel and its room service supplier the Zin room. If I understand correctly the two businesses that are part of the same building are separate in management, but share the same ownership structure. The specific experience I am referencing took place on a Sunday prior to a flight out of Omaha, back to LA. I ordered breakfast and received the most depressing service. The food I received was late, cold, and generally horrid. It could have been good, but by the point it had made it to me it was inedible. The delivery boy seemed clueless about the food and did not understand why I was so upset. He left without even addressing the situation. After he left the room service cart and all in my room I noticed that there was decaying food on the tray cart.
There were good stays at the deco, but these situations are what I will remember. You can only claim to be a luxury hotel for so long before some one calls you on it.

Room Tip: rooms on the 7th floor can be exceedingly nice, but prior water damage makes me wonder whether the l...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo