“Worst dining experience in Omaha”
Review of Kona Grill - Omaha

Kona Grill - Omaha
Reserve with OpenTable
Kona Grill - Omaha is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 1,368 Restaurants in Omaha
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kona Grill was built on Exceptional Experiences and meals that create memories. Our global menu features contemporary American favorites, award-winning sushi, and specialty cocktails — all made from scratch using only the freshest ingredients. While the places that inspire our cuisine may be far away, a welcoming place that offers inspiring food, ultimate hospitality, and diverse choices is right around the corner.ented sushi chefs.
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We went to Kona to celebrate a friend's college graduation. Our intention was to go for the 1/2 price h.h. You cannot make reservations, so we were told to gather our own tables on the patio, as this is the only location of the h.h. So we do it ourselves, then a waitor comes over with a very rude attitude and told us we could not take tables until our party shows up, which was ridiculous and completely contradictory to what we were previously told. He neglected to ask if we wanted anything for about the next 20 min.
Our party begins showing up. Note, this entire time my friend and I were not carded. A couple in our party shows up in casual wear such as sweatshirt and jeans, which is completely acceptable appearal for such an informal occassion. The moment they walked in, they were singled out and immediately carded. Management wasted no time informing them they were not allowed in the patio b/c one of them wasn't 21. So we asked to be moved inside, and the response was rude informing us that h.h. is not served inside. We asked if those who are 21 could simply go to the bar for h.h. drinks when the time comes; the response was no. Not very accommodating for a graduation party of about 20 people if you ask me.
We end up inside. Again, no service in sight. A waitress comes over to our table and informs our party that we should be nice to the staff since they were ready to kick us out. Kicking out paying customers?! Can you believe it?! Absoluteley uncalled for! And we were suppossed to be nice to them?! Has the world gone mad?
Two young men from our party go to the bar to order a drink since there was no service only to find that the management had closed everyone's tab, and the young men were informed they could not order drinks anymore. We had been there no more than 30 min. at this point.
So I guess if you want a place with an intolerable wait staff that does not wish to accommodate large parties or any paying customer for that matter, then I definitely recommend Kona Grill. And if you plan on going, you better wear a shirt and tie or a dress, as this appearal seems to be the accepted norm in order to get amiable service.

7  Thank annonymous82
There are newer reviews for Kona Grill - Omaha

Reviewed November 14, 2007

Very inconsistent service - been here many times & it varies every time. Love the atmosphere especially during the summer when there's happy hour & late happy hour. Have to get there early or you won't be able to sit out on the patio or lounge & take advantage of the happy hour prices. Definitely better sushi in town, but can't beat the prices during h.h. Many other unique & delicious options on the menu.

3  Thank lovetoeatinomaha
Reviewed September 9, 2007

This place is supposed to be one of the better spots in Omaha to eat but on my last visit September 7, 2007 they had some huge issues.

First of all can you find somebody to wait on you??? No took at least 20 minutes. We did sit outside but still...

Then when we were served our server came back and didnt ask but demanded that we pay our bill as they were having a shift change. Not cool to demand ask maybe still bad service anyway you look at it. Management shouldnt allow it.

We finally got waited on again after we asked somebody to take our order which took another 20 minutes. Then another waiter came and took over for her. 3 waiters in an hour.

The gross part was the entire time we were seated there were flies everywhere. Thousands. You would think they would have something to keep them away or a fan running to keep them away from the food. I would think this would be a Health Department violation?

Finally, when I used the restroom I witnessed the Manager (female) take down one of the wait staff in front of me. She was angry because the girl was putting on her make up. Hmmm maybe that is why they dont have any help outside but still she should not have yelled at this girl in front of the guests.

Kona is supposed to be the place for a Happy Hour but how can you be happy with no service. I guess it saves them from giving away 1/2 food.

Anyway very disappointing. I have told numerous friends about this experience and they have had the same experience lately so must be new management at Kona.

I will say the food is still awesome. Just need to get some additional or new help.

Would probably wait to go until after all the flies are dead!

11  Thank shelleyrtaylor
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Even though Kona Grill is a national chain, the quality of the food is very good - even excellent. The bar is very loud (by design) and the restaurant is more subdued. I had the Macadamia Chicken which was excellent. My wife had the Ahi Salad - again excellent. Pot sticker appetizer was very good.. Portions are large. We also had sushi for appetizers and they were very good. Prices are in line with other West Omaha restaurants. I would happily eat here again.

2  Thank PickyGuy
Reviewed December 13, 2006

This was our fifth trip to the Kona Grill in Village Point tonight - a good place to eat while shopping.

Service was very good as usual.

Drinks were good as well - they make a good martini.

I had the spicy tuna roll sushi - very nice, a bit of heat but not too much. My wife had the pot sticker appetizer - nice presentation and very good pork filling. For the main course she had her favorite Macadamia nut crusted chicken ( very tender ) with garlic mashed potatoes and stir fried vegetables and I had the Pad Thai noodles with chicken. Both were done very well. No room for dessert as per usual.

We know why this is a favorite stop of ours. By the way, they have happy hour after work and late in the evening where appetizers are 1/2 price if you buy drinks - a great value if you want a lite meal. Check with them for hours.

1  Thank grayhorse89

Been to Kona Grill - Omaha? Share your experiences!