“Great museum”

The Durham Museum
Ranked #3 of 127 things to do in Omaha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Beautiful architecture blends with memories of a time gone by at the historic Durham Museum. Opened in 1931, Union Station was built by Union Pacific Railroad as the showpiece to the city of its headquarters. Considered one of Omaha’s most unique treasures, and now an official National Historic Landmark, the station is one of the best examples of art deco architecture in the country. The Durham Museum offers unique, hands-on learning for people of all ages. Enjoy an extraordinary array of permanent exhibits including restored train cars, 1940’s storefronts, HO Model trains, numerous artifacts showing the history of the region and the Byron Reed collection, which includes some of the world’s rarest coins and documents. During your stay be sure to stop by the authentic soda fountain and enjoy a phosphate or malt. There are also impressive temporary exhibitions through The Durham’s affiliation with the Smithsonian and close ties with the Library of Congress, National Archives, and Chi
Reviewed September 20, 2012

There are lots of train cars to explore and tons to learn about in a very beautiful building. This is a great spot to spend a day or even a few hours.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We decided to stop by here at the last minute and had less than an hour to spend here before they closed at 5pm (I believe I saw they had some extended hours on certain nights of the week). The building is beautiful on the outside and when you step inside it is just like stepping back in time. I almost felt like I was on the set of a movie. They have done a really fine job restoring this train station and it is somewhat magical to step into. Since we were limited on time, I spent my time looking at the permenant exhibit explaining the history of the station and then I meandered downstairs and toured through a few rail cars. Fascinating stuff and it really upsets me that we no longer use trains to travel. I've travelled all over Europe in trains and it's such a great way to explore the landscape of a country. It's a shame we don't easily get to do that anymore. Anyway, I digress. This is a fantastic museum and is education and fun for all age groups.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The train depoet was full of history. Everyone loved the trains. Adults likd the displays through time. The military uniforms, weapons, and other items through time was fascinating.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Not knowing what to really expect we were amazingly surprised to see how this building had been restored to grandeur from the eras past. From 1929 to 1931 the resurrection of Union Station began and the detail put into it is incredible. The exhibits and displays on the lower floor are outstanding. Sit a spell in the trolley car and try to imagine what was happening back in the early 20's. Stroll thru their display of our armed services and view the many different uniforms our men and women wore starting with the World Wars. Walk thru an actually train and be amazed of how people would travel during the day sitting in their seats and then at night pull down their "sleeper"

Don't forget to stop at the restored soda fountain counter and order that old fashion chocolate malt

Ask if they take AAA-they do-cost $7 with/$8 without

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

This musuem is just so/so. I thought it was a little over priced for exhibits. The train was interesting to tour, but there were a lot of people crammed into a tiny space. The other exhibits were random and disconnected, but interesting in and of themselves.

Been to The Durham Museum? Share your experiences!