“A french inspired menu in NE and nicely done!”
Review of Le Bouillon

Le Bouillon
Ranked #36 of 1,372 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the Old Market, Le Bouillon offers a return to the great regional culinary heritage of France. In a lively, airy room that offers tables for groups of any size, Chef Paul Kulik presents his take on the comfort foods of rural France. Sourcing the best ingredients from local producers, set in a open, alluring space, Le Bouillon is sure to fit any occasion. Converted from a fruit and vegetable warehouse, Sam Mercer's vision of a French restaurant began the Old Market. Some 45 years later, Le Bouillon returns to the roots of the rich culture and gastronomy of Southern France. Returned to the restaurant is the impressive Niki de St. Phalle Tree and a menagerie of watercolors painted by Sam Mercer himself. The light, bright atmosphere complements the bright fresh flavors of Paul Kulik's farm fresh cuisine. Our beverage program begins with the belief that wine belongs on the table. Our wine list highlights France's remarkable and moderately priced Vins de Table from magnificent producers in often overlooked areas . The bar hand-selects spirits and aperitifs to combine for a dynamic craft cocktail program. Whether cut from the Volano slicer, shucked from the raw bar, or pulled from the grill, Le Bouillon aims to demonstrate the delicious approachability of French comfort foods.
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I caught the name while walking around Le Bouillon as I lived over 20 years across France.
I just got there for dinner and I was very pleased with my experience. Started with the “pâté” which was very nice, and then I tried the “cassoulet” as I was intrigued as how a cassoulet could be in NE and to my surprise it was good – not exactly was you call “cassoulet de Toulouse avec du confit de canard” but still nice. I finished with the lemon tart and it was excellent. All this with a glass of Beaujolais. I really liked it – the restaurant was fairly quite but it was middle of the week and the March madness NCAA tournament is going on so that does not really help the traffic.
The service was nicely done, friendly and “classic”. And price wise with the quality of the food it is nicely priced.
I am sorry that I do not come to this part of the world more often as I could well make this pace a regular spot

1  Thank J-P D

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I love this place. We have been there four times since it opened. We work our way through the menu sharing the small plates. Each one is a new delight. Next time we are starting at the end of the menu and working our way up. We end up being full before we even arrive at the entrée. It is a great unpretentious place to sit and talk over a leisurely meal. We can't wait for the patio to open.

4  Thank zzzzz1
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I travel to France regularly and Le Bouillon has a distinctive, authentic French feel and ambiance. The food was superb, ( cassoulet especially). We chose a modestly priced red Corbieres wine and it was excellent. Service was also excellent, attentive but not intrusive. This will be the #1 choice next time I am in Omaha.

3  Thank lotr10
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Great waitstaff -- very friendly & knowledgable. The design of the space is great. Although the menu is somewhat short, each dish was outstanding. Prices are more than reasonable for the quality of the food! It's in the middle of the Old Market with lots to do before and after dinner. Hope this helps.

2  Thank damg
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Situated in what used to be the The French Cafe, that's where the similarity between Le Bouillon and the previous restaurant ends. That and the Frech cuisine thing which, to be honest, the previous restaurant never did too well. Now that we have buried the previous owner, let me say the current iteration with a new name, owner, chef and concept of food is a very welcome addition to Omaha, a town which not too many years ago had little to offer in terms of very good kitchens. This is now changing and this restaurant is part of what I think is the 'greening' of America in terms of understanding about food and that good food is nearly as easy to produce as crummy restaurant fare. One just has to care and the owner and the chef both clearly care.

We dine out for many reasons but when one really DINES out, one expects a nice locale, excellent service, superb food and drink. Le Bouillon steps up and hits for the fence on all marks here.

The current layout of the restaurant is light and airy, well lit but not too, the tables are set well and look elegant without looking over the top. The windows let in the scene from the lit street without being intrusive. The wait staff is on time and caring. No hovering but if you need something, one is there. This reflects very well on the restaurant management.

The dinner menu (have not been for lunch) is not lengthy but very nice: good restaurants do not need huge menus. For example, grilled sardines were on the menu and that is fine fare. That and, say, the frisee with lardons salad makes a fine meal, if one wished to go no further. Yes, as another reviewer noted, the chef likes rabbit. Listen: rabbit. is. good. It is much nicer than bland chicken and like sardines, not often seen on local menus. The cassoulet was very nice (but would be much nicer with duck confit rather than slices of duck breast). The wine list, like the menu, is limited but well chosen and not over the top. Drinks from the bar are crafted well. The maitre d' who apparently used to tend bar and still apparently fills in, was suave, knowledgeable, polite and engaging.

This place deserves your attention for dinner, whether you are from town or visiting from the outside world. You should be pleased. Bottom line: very reminiscent of an upper scale French bistro. MacArthur had it right: I shall return!

4  Thank travel035