“Good food, great coffee!”
Review of Maria Sangria's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Maria Sangria's
Ranked #1,011 of 1,361 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Spanish
Agar, South Dakota, United States
“Good food, great coffee!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We were in Omaha over the 4th of July weekend and decided to stop by here as the host was playing the bongo outside the front door and of course, the kids wanted to stop. The host was very charming and accommodating. We sat outside and the kids danced to the music. The food is a good variety - they have american and traditional cuban food. I loved it, my husband didn't care one way or the other and the kids had american food. The sweet plantains were awesome as was the coffee I had at the end of the meal, expresso with evaporated milk and sugar. The portions were pretty big and the man who took our order did a good job of keeping the drinks full and empty plates off the table. I was most impressed with the staff's reaction to my three little kids. They were very nice to them and didn't seem to mind them dancing and being kids, as it got busier we did make them sit down. The outside seating has a nice view of the city and the tables were clean. I would eat here again as I enjoyed the food, not sure about the rest of my family though.

• Visited July 2014

Omaha, Nebraska
“Don't go there.”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We got there at 7 pm on a Tuesday evening. Only went there to use a Living Social certificate which they refused to honor at the end of the meal. Only one other customer in the place and she was sitting at the bar doing shots with the bartender. The sangria was acceptable but not great. The food was edible but nothing I would go back for. The restaurant was filthy. Our table was sticky and had crumbs on it but the bartender was to busy flirting with the customer at the bar to do any cleaning. The window ledge beside our table was loaded with dust, dead flies and gnats. The fruit flies where flying around our glasses of Sangria. We thought about leaving before ordering food but wanted to use our Living Social certificate but weren't able to use it anyway. The bartender explained that there was a sign on the front door that told they wouldn't honor the certificate but the front door was propped open so we couldn't see it. This place should be shut down.

• Visited July 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“So good it's hard not to over-indulge”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We selected this restaurant out of the blue while walking through the Old Town area of Omaha, and we were so glad we did! The entire experience was a delight.

The staff, including the friendly young man who seated us and the fantastic waitress, were part of the fun. We love visiting new places and meeting new people, and the staff here was so personable that we had no hesitation in asking them for advice about the various dishes and joking with them throughout the meal. We adored our waitress, who took the time to sit down with us and discuss the merits of the various dishes. She was not only knowledgeable but fun!

The home-made red sangria was delicious, just fruity enough without being overwhelming.

We decided on the tapas, since it would give us the chance to sample so many things. Following the advice of our fabulous waitress we ordered 3 to begin. I do not speak Spanish and rather than butchering the vocabulary I'll use English terms for the dishes. The first was a light pastry stuffed with tuna and (I believe) chopped egg and red peppers, then drizzled with honey. Next came dates wrapped in bacon. And finally, shrimp in garlic butter with bread to dip in the melted butter. Each dish was wonderful in its own way. My companion went into raptures over the tuna, while I couldn't get enough of those wonderful dates. The shrimp was excellent, too, but just a little less exotic than the others.

After that we couldn't keep from wanting to try more. I would disagree with the reviewer who disliked the potato tortilla, or perhaps the recipe has changed. Ours was clearly not made with frozen potatoes. The texture was more like handmade mashed potatoes, with a crispy outside and a creamy inside. We loved it.

The fried eggplant drizzled with honey was probably our least favorite (which is hardly fair, since it was extremely good - just our personal preference.) One interesting dish seemed similar to bruschetta, crunchy bread and well-seasoned tomatoes, but topped with a salty cured meat imported from Spain (it reminded me a little of prosciutto.) And just when we thought we simply couldn't eat any more wonderful food, out came the fried calamari rings with a homemade dipping sauce. My companion and I agreed that we had never eaten such tender calamari. It nearly melted in our mouths.

After talking a little further with our wonderful waitress we discovered that the restaurant has been open less than a year. Maria herself came out from the kitchen to speak with us, and we were so impressed with her graciousness. She is a native of Spain and has taken the leap of opening a new restaurant while she is in her 60's! She prepares all the food herself by hand, using only the freshest ingredients, and she even imports some items from Spain. No wonder the food is so amazing. Bravo, Maria!

Our only disappointment is that we are from Kansas City and will be unable to become regulars at this fantastic restaurant. We wholeheartedly wish Maria and her staff the best of luck on the venture. They deserve success.

• Visited November 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
“ouch”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The only reason I didn't rate this as terrible was because the waitress was very nice. We had the Spanish tortilla, Gambas Al Ajillo and we ordered the Paella Mariscos. Figured we were in trouble when the Tortilla came. I make these at home...and as a short cut I use Ore Ida shredded hash browns. That's exactly what was done here. The seasoning and doneness of the tortilla were very good, so I was a bit conflicted. The garlic shrimp tasted as if they had been boiled in water and then dumped into the butter and garlic...no flavor in them.

As stated, we ordered Paella Mariscos (seafood Paella) but were served the Paella Mixto...which had chicken. The rice was done properly but the flavor was overshadowed by peas. Again tasted like everything was cooked separately and then assembled...not a good experience.

Visited August 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“Authentic Spanish Cuisine in Omaha”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I dined at this restaurant in late June, 2013. It is a family-run business, and the staff are very eager to please diners. The restaurant prides itself on its home-made white and red sangria. We intend to try it next time we dine there as the wine menu is limited. The food we ordered was divine. We ordered bacon-wrapped dates. They were unique and delicious. Then, we ordered chicken paella. It was better than we experienced when we last traveled around the eastern coast of Spain. We will return to this family-run business, and recommend dining here.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Maria Sangria's? Share your experiences!