“This RI is a serious game changer...”

Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Omaha
Washington DC/Tampa
“This RI is a serious game changer...”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I always check my travel tools- Kayak, TripAdvisor, Yelp, Flight Aware and Seat Guru to find the best deals, places to stay and the right seats. Prior to coming to OMA last week- had everything but the place to stay lined up. Looked at the usual suspects (HGI) and then saw a new kid on the block. The Residence Inn (downtown) caught my eye and reading the reviews convinced me to give it a try.

This hotel is an absolute gem of a find and if you have plans to travel to Omaha, I believe it is a must-stay.

Most of the other reviews capture the essence of the building and experience. From the Terrazzo flooring, Deco touches compliments of Uncle Sam to the modern, comfortable and stylish rooms- this hotel exudes a new vitality to Omaha and the Residence Inn lineup. The safes were awesome. The posters...very cool. Good breakfast and papers everywhere.

What I think sets this hotel apart is its attention to customer service and hospitality. Staff members deserve a accolades if they make such a positive impression. Courtney and Ashley are two who command the front desk, taking ownership of insuring the guest is set up with a clean room and attending to their travel/lodging needs. Thanks you two. Calling the hotel for a shuttle service- Ashley said the GM (Jessie? Kyle?) was taking guest to the airport as a storm was just starting to settle in (21Nov13) and instead of waiting for the usual shuttle driver- they'd call and have him meet me outside my arrival. Kyle/Jessie was awesome. Great conversationalist, former meteorologist- now hotelier and an USAF brat. More importantly, he was an absolute standout as an ambassador for his property. I was familiar with the property from years ago and he gave me a great history of the renovations, features and what to look for. He remembered me the next day and asked if I was able to see everything in the hotel and if I enjoyed my stay....Like I said, its the little touches and personal investment with positive energy. My impression is that each member of staff, from housecleaning to management feels like there is a personal investment in the success of this property. The impression is that there is attention to detail and pride in delivering a very sound product for the business and personal traveler.

**One minor recommendation to travelers who may take things for granted. Please be reminded that the shuttle is "on-demand"...there is not a regular shuttle that some others may be used to. Also, don't forget the Hotel's Shuttle Number-- there is not a courtesy phone in the airport to call...A call to the front desk/shuttle number results in a very timely shuttle arriving within minutes PLUS a courtesy call from the staff to confirm the pick-up and when the shuttle will arrive.**

I will definitely recommend this property to anyone heading to OMA. Great job Residence Inn (Downtown)

Room Tip: Go up on the higher floors North/East sides for good views of the College World Series stadium and c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Potomactwostep
Kyle H, General Manager at Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Potomactwostep...thank you so much for your review on TripAdvisor! We couldn't be more thrilled by reading this review. You summed up everything that this entire team feels about our hotel, and it is so great that it has translated over to the way we serve our guests. I certainly hope we get to see you again soon, and if so, we look forward to serving you again! All the best -

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Minneapolis
Reviewed November 22, 2013

From the very beginning of my stay, I knew that this was going to be an extraordinary stay. When I landed at the airport and called the hotel, the front desk clerk told me that she would call me back as soon as she talked the driver. The roads were very slippery and he was a bit delayed. She was very apologetic and assured us we would get picked up soon.
Ashley greeted us at the front desk and without even asking her, she gave us a tour of the hotel and told us some historic facts of the building. She is a great ambassador of the hotel and certainly you can tell that she really loves her job. She called me by name and recognized me every time I saw her.
The rooms are not your typical hotel or Residence Inn rooms. They are very unique and impeccably clean. They have all the amenities that all Residence Inn rooms have but with a funky design and huge windows that bring in much sunlight during the day and provide and exceptional view of downtown Omaha at night. They even open slightly for a nice breeze in the summer. We had a corner room that has a separate bedroom. I like the choice of having a separate bedroom and not hanging out in your bedroom all the time.
We had a nice breakfast in the community room. It was clean and the service was available. All the food was adequately stocked and newspapers were available for all. In addition, the television was at the appropriate volume so as not to interfere with a quiet breakfast.
We even had a lovely conversation with the housekeeper. She was so nice and told us about floor plans and different historical information once again about the hotel. I wish I could remember her name. She was so nice. She even let a sneak a peak at a room that was a different floor plan than ours.
Jessie (he was great) gave us a ride back to the airport while the front desk staff all came out to say their good-byes. We were chided by our friends for spending our anniversary in Omaha, but were really glad that we did because we loved the hotel. In addition, there are several great restaurants and an amazing museum within walking distance of the hotel.
The whole purpose of reviewing a hotel is to help people make a good choice in hotels. The only negative that I could find in this hotel was that the temperature in my room would vary during the night. I would wake up cold and then the heat would kick in and then it would get hot. There was a storm that was going through the area so this might have contributed to that. In addition 2 sides of my room were exposed walls. I think that if you chose an inside room (rooms on both sides) that you might be able to avoid this minor inconvenience.
Thank you Residence Inn for making my anniversary a memorable one.

Room Tip: Stay away from the north side of this building. There is quite a draft when that north wind blows.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelMinneapolis
Kyle H, General Manager at Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Michael...Thank you so much for the review! It is so great to hear of our guests' experiences at our hotel, and yours is no different. It is also wonderful to hear of the individuals that impacted your stay. They take so much pride in their work, and in their service, and appreciate seeing these things as well! I certainly hope you'll return to the Residence Inn by Marriott Omaha Downtown the next time you're in town!
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Great staff!! Classic use of historic building, excellent job preserving the safe doors and old wanted posters (check out the Most Wanted Lounge!). Great size rooms, furnishings similar to upscale Marriotts but at the regular price. Staff was attentive and friendly; it was nice to come back after a day of meetings and be greeted by name! Convenient location to walk around downtown Omaha; easy walk to Old Market and to see the many statues.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Kyle H, General Manager at Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Inez...what a review! We so enjoyed having you all here while you were in Omaha! Thank you so much for writing about your experience and posting it to TripAdvisor.com. It is always great to hear when our guests enjoy their time with us, and yours is no exception. In the event you return to our wonderful city...be sure to look us up. We'd love to serve you again! All the best -
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Really great service in a fabulous OLD building. All staff members went out of their way to help, front desk, kitchen and valet staff were incredibly pleasant and helpful. This is NOT the old style RI, but the brand new modern furnishings.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dianeconger
Kyle H, General Manager at Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Diane...what a review! As you are loving the new Residence Inns, we are loving having you as our guest! Thank you so much for your review, and for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I certainly hope we get to see you soon!
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Hotels often cater to the business traveler, but I have never felt more welcomed than I did at this recently opened Residence Inn. The hotel staff didn't just cater to the guests, they befriended them. It was clear they shared a sense of purpose; that purpose was to ensure our stay was problem-free, and they succeeded.

The ambience of the building was unique: an old Federal building rehabbed and updated with the classical elegance of the high ceilings, marble floors. They even kept some old elements of the building, like the former vault doors of the Federal Reserve which was housed in the building...the classic treatments continued right to the room, which is where they ended.

Beyond the threshold was one of the most modern rooms I have ever stayed in: fast wi-fi service, satellite T.V, and even USB ports in some kitchen outlets! The room I stayed in had a full shower with a waterfall head that added to the feel of modern luxury.

The amenities are notable, too. I used the gym and found it better equipped than most hotel gyms, and larger, too, so it didn't feel like you were sharing a large closet with the others there. The breakfast was typical Residence Inn (fruit, starches, eggs, cereal, coffee and juices); more than enough to face the coming day and all served with a smile.

The aspect that makes this hotel great, though, is the staff. They made everyone feel so welcome--even giving me the nickname "Hoss"--that I wanted to extend my business trip! I have never had a hotel make me want to do that, but Kyle, Courtney, Lauren and Tyler make you feel like family. You will not be disappointed with this gem conveniently located within walking distance to all of the best spots in Omaha--but you won't have to walk since they are happy to drive you!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ken M
Hoss! What a review. We definitely had some fun while you were with us last week...it's so unfortunate that you won't be back for awhile. That being said, thanks for getting the word out about your experience with us...we certainly appreciate it! Here's hoping you come back and see us, sooner rather than later I hope!
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed November 6, 2013

From the helpful parking staff to the high pressure rain shower head.... This hotel has it all right. This is the place to go if you are military looking for that 'high end' hotel. What a great place to spend a night in Omaha!!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Mysty429
Kyle H, General Manager at Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Mysty429...from all of us at the Residence Inn, thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.com! TripAdvisor is a great way to let people know what to expect when they come into our hotel, and I'm so happy you've shared your experience with everyone. What a great group from Newport News, RI...I am so glad you enjoyed your time here! We hope to see you again!
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Awesome hotel! Brand new accomodations with in a building with character. The hospitality of the staff is great. Friendly and engaging, everyone went out of their way to make sure we felt at home from the young man cooking the hamburgers during the evening social to the manager that came out and chatted with us. Simply a great hotel at which to stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ed E
Dear Ed E...wow, what a review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are so privileged and humbled that you thought enough of our hotel to write a review on TripAdvisor.com, and hope you'll experience us again soon!