“We keep coming back!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
“We keep coming back!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We've moved out of town, but we try to include Fernando's on our return trips. We've celebrated a number of special occasions here over the years with great food (and drinks) and love to keep coming back for more!

omaha
“Cheesy goodness”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stop in here quite frequently as it is located right next to home and work. My owner loves to go when he is in town as well, so we frequent Fernando's for business lunches quite a bit. The owner must treat the employees very well because they seem to have long term staff members - something you usually don't see in this type of business. Service is fast, the place is clean and the kitchen is always consistent with the level of food quality. There is a kid's menu and also a "Healthy Amigo's" section that is endorsed by one of the local hospital's heart healthy programs. I like the healthy chicken enchilada with a side of rice. Good margarita's also... And one of my friends actually goes here for the cheeseburgers- she says they are one of the best in town.

• Visited July 2012
Cork, Cork, Ireland
“Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Having traveled through the Southern United States, this place tops it all. Their enchiladas are fantastic and the servers are a hoot!

Kearney, Nebraska, United States
“Seeing the other reviews, now I'm sure I'm not crazy. This place is sub-par at best”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband has been raving about this place since we started dating. We have eaten here numerous times in our 3 year courtship, and once since our recent wedding. I have yet to be served a good meal in this place. He has told me many times that this is his favorite Mexican food in Omaha, and still after all this time, I have yet to figure out why. I don't think they can even prepare something as simple the free chips and salsa correctly. The chips tasted especially weird to me the last time we were there. They are made from flour tortillas, which I usually love, but I have no idea what they fry them in. They taste like they were fried in either lard or some type of animal fat.

The time we were there was a late Sunday afternoon, we were the first ones there, and even though they could see our group gathering outside, they would not unlock the doors and let us in--even though there was one hell of a thunderstorm brewing and it was already raining hard. I was not amused, and neither were my husband's elderly parents and step mother, two of whom were propped up on their canes waiting to be let in. -- We had made a reservation for 22 people for 4 pm. Did they really think it was appropriate to make this large party wait in the rain until 4 pm on the dot, when they knew we were coming and had already reserved a spot for us?

Once we were seated, it took a very long time to be served drinks, and while I appreciate the difficulty of serving a large group, even though our food orders were taken at the same time, the food was delivered in stages, some of us either being almost done with our food, or letting it get cold while others waited. At least three of the meals were sent back, because they were wrong.

My husband and I ordered a plate of "El Kitchen Sinko Nachos"--Please tell me how a Mexican Restaurant can't get something as simple as nachos right. You take some chips (fried in lard, I guess) and you dump meat and veggies on them. Then you smother them with cheese and melt it--Am I right? Isn't this the way you make nachos? Well at Fernando's, they bake everything. These nachos were baked. Not a terrible idea, as long as you don't leave them in the oven so long that the edges of the chips turn black. I kid you not. We actually had black chips on this plate of nachos. I have a feeling they were smoking in the oven, because the entire plate tasted charred.

I will beg and plead with my shiny new husband to please not ever make me eat at this place again. We are going to Omaha again this weekend for another family get together, at a still yet-to-be determined location. I am praying it will just be a pot luck at someone's home, as these gals know how to cook. We don't need no stinking Fernando's for a family function.

(I can't comment on $$ or value, as the entire regrettable meal for all 22 of us was paid for by my darling new father-in-law)

1 Thank CheekyDiva18
Omaha, Nebraska
“Really good...loads of cheese.”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The con queso is amazing. It is a melted cheddar with a little spice. The flour chips are awesome. It is more like nachos with melted cheddar, so do not expect a thin cheese you dip your chips in. Expect to have to put the cheese on top of the chips. The burritos, quesadillas, and enchiladas are really good. They have loads of melted cheese on them. The Spanish rice is good. The chicken is so good. Very flavorful and you can tell it is freshly cooked every day. The tacos are not the best. If you order these and someone else in your party orders a huge burrito or quesadilla covered in cheese, you will regret it in my opinion. I really like the atmosphere. It is not too fancy but definitely nice. I have always had excellent service. One of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Omaha because of the quality of ingredients. The prices are reasonable, especially for the large portions that are served. I go here a couple of times a month.