“Superb Salmon!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb Salmon!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We LOVE dining at Bistro 121! Today was my third trip in the last year and each time was very enjoyable and the food is excellent. Tonight my husband and I ordered the Salmon risotto. Our meal started with a lovely salad of mixed, fancy lettuce with sliced tomatoes. The house dressing of balsamic vinegrette was tasty, sweet, and not over powering. We were served fresh, warm french bread with butter (twice). The chef prepared a wonderful salmon fillet (which was the special). The portion of salmon was quite large compared to other restaurants we've been to. The salmon was cooked to perfection served over a bed of risotto and topped with a light lobster bisque sauce. A nice slice of lemon was twisted on top. Also served was two fairly large sized broccoli chunks that were steamed to perfection. We also had a side of glazed carrots which were quite original as they were glazed, I assume, in some type of brown sugar.

Our server Kathy was very nice and conversational. The chef, Walter, prepared a fine dining meal. Every meal I've ever eaten at the Bistro has met my expectations. You can always expect a unique chef experience from Walter because of all the dishes he has cooked over his span of experience. Right before our check arrived, we received a complimentary bite of apple pie which was very good. The best I can say is that you always know your food is freshly cooked when you dine at the Bistro 121 because your food is made fresh when you order. You know you are not eating food that is being warmed up. We feel this is one of the best restaurants in Omaha and a best kept secret in the corner of the plaza.

Every time I've dined at the Bistro, I've always used an Entertainment book coupon and I have always been welcomed. We enjoy the Bistro because of the quiet, small town atmosphere. When I have eaten there in the past we were sometimes the only couple in the restaurant, but we love it that way! New diners to the Bistro need to understand that Walter has been cooking for years, so many of his clientelle dine on the weekends and have high expectations of their dining experience. Eating at Bistro 121 is like a step into the past. Even though the restaurant is not busy, reservations are recommended, because like a quaint, small cafe, if the restaurant isn't busy, the restaurant may close without notice. That doesn't bother us, we've never had a problem being seated without a reservation. The one on one attention we received is special.

Back in August I took a friend to the Bistro and the staff treated us like queens. During our meal, the background music was selected to play a 1940's version of Happy Birthday for my friend. She was also given a complimentary birthday treat. She had a birthday lunch experience she'll never forget!

• Visited November 2012

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“A good meal in a nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The food we were served was very good. Portions were generous for the lunch hour and we had food to take home. The service was good. The waitress was friendly and familiar with the menu. Prices were ok for entres. The side salad was nice, romaine with some red and yellow tomatos, though a little small. $ 5.00 seemed like a large price for a small side salad. That may be because we revealed our restaurant.com certificate right a way and the price was adjusted up. We were served plenty of warm french bread with butter and olive oil. The place looked nice, although my chair was a little hard. Pleasant classical music played continuously while we were there. We had a late lunch and were the only diners.
I had read some of the earlier reviews and was hesitant to go, but had already purchased the certificate. We ate there once several years ago and it was good then as well.

• Visited September 2012
“Has potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

The night we ate here we were the only diners. It was a little early, but they didn't have one of specials that the waitress quoted. The service was attentive, but I think the prices are high for the location and the food.

2 Thank AmbieThursby
Omaha, Nebraska
“This restaurant is a joke!! Do NOT waste your time or money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2011

I have never written a review for a restaurant but I do not want anyone to have the same experience that my friend and I had. My friend and I used her restaurant.com coupon for Bistro 121. The service from our server was acceptable but the food and manners from the owner/chef were terrible. When we sat down, the waitress apologized for the lent on the table and tried to claim the spots were from wax. We placed a drink order. When it finally arrived, the pour was generous. That is the highlight of my experience.

We enjoyed our salad, what little there was to eat. When our salad was served the server also brought our bread. The menu stated we would receive French bread and instead we were served stale wheat rolls. After we complained, we did receive the French bread during dinner. My friend ordered the penne pasta with fresh diced tomatoes, olive oil, and garlic. She received rigatoni pasta (not an issue)with what tasted liked tomato paste and water with no seasoning, definitely no fresh tomatoes. When she complained to the server we received a "Sorry." Nothing else. We actually were thinking at this point we were on some sort of prank show. In hindsight, we realized the server was trying to save us from the wrath, yes wrath, of the chef.

I ordered the Veal Picatta with tomato basil risotto. I had to ask for lemon because could not taste the lemon in the sauce. The tomatoes (all 5 pieces) were from a can. The basil added was dry basil. My friend thought the risotto was a mushroom of some sort because of the coloring from the picatta sauce and the small flecks. The use of the word "risotto" should be used lightly. It was actually white rice, assuming Uncle Bens.

After some time the owner/chef finally came and asked about our meal and my friend asked about the fresh tomatoes. He stated that fresh tomatoes break down and you would be unable to tell they were in the sauce. He did go to the kitchen and have the server bring what we assumed were microwaved canned stewed tomatoes, with raw garlic (one could tell the garlic definitely had not been sautéed since the garlic was hard). This mixture was sitting in what looked like water (not even the juice of a tomato.)

When the chef returned later to ask if the sauce helped, the answer was "no." He became very defensive. We were informed his restaurant wasn't for us because we had an "Applebee's palate." Much like a previous poster mentioned how do you respond to that but laugh. Mr. Hecht also stated that he had stopped using restaurant.com because "it brought customers like us in, but would accept our coupon but not to come back." When we stated that Bistro 121 was still on the site he stated that their site "is slow in removing restaurants." He stated all his other customers (two tables) had no complaints. One table I have no idea, the other table had not been served. After trying to have a rational discussion with the owner/chef, I told him we were done. He kept harassing me and again had to ask him to stop and get us the check. I paid with a credit card my friend paid with cash. They had to go to the bar next door to get change for my friend. They brought her approximately 20 pennies for change.

When we finally did leave he followed us to the door and then out. I have never been so offended in my life. Read the reviews.

• Visited December 2011
omaha
“A good candidate for "Kitchen Nightmares"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

After coming to this restaurant, it was the first time I felt I could have been in a restaurant that should be helped by Gordon Ramsey of the reality show "Kitchen Nightmares". The restaurant had a cozy feeling and appeared clean. Generally, when we go to a new restaurant, my friend and I order a meal that sounds good to both of us so we can split each others meal. The waitress was obviously new to the profession. Very pleasant but inept. There appeared to be two waitresses working, but few tables were occupied. Our waitress seemed preoccupied with the table directly behind me and I could tell that the customer was disgruntled, but didn't pay attention to his complaint. Hindsight, I wish I had. We were probably there 20 minutes before our order was taken. 10 minutes after we had given the waitress our order, the waitress comes to our table and says "I will be putting your order in next". When the food finally arrived, we were less than impressed. It looked like cafeteria food. You could tell the vegetables, two asparagus, were not fresh. The baby carrots (4) appeared canned. We ordered a chicken dish with pasta. The sauce was described on the menu as olive oil, tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms and rosemary. We received a pasta with tomato sauce. Not even a hint of rosemary. The tomatoes were obviously canned. It was very bland. We also ordered the chicken picatta which was the special of the day. The sauce was a brown gravy that suspiciously tasted like the canned version. The prices were high and the food was disgusting. The rice tasted like Minute Rice and we suspect the chicken was frozen as well. Neither one of us would eat the meal. We complained to the waitress and told her the pasta was bland, and could we have some parmesan. She returned with a container of parmesan that you would buy from the grocery store. We then asked for the manager as we felt we were overcharged for food that was unappealing that neither of us wanted to eat, let alone pay for. The chef comes to our table and immediately was on the defensive asking what our problem was. My friend told him that the pasta dish was very bland. It went downhill from there. He told us that this wasn't the type of restaurant we are used to eating at. That we must eat at Applebees and Olive Garden. (How do you respond to that?) She then explained that the Chicken Picatta was served with a brown gravy when the sauce is normally made as a lemon and butter sauce. He told us that was his signature dish and his customers never complain. Then, he told my friend that she must think she is Rachael Ray. We decided to leave and told him we weren't paying for this meal as it was not good. He told us to leave and he doesn't want our type in there and if our friends are like us, he doesn't want them in his restaurant either. As we were almost out of the restaurant, he told us in a raised voice, OUT! That was the highlight of our meal! We couldn't even contain our laughter before exiting after what we had just experienced. We'll never forget our dining experience and we will be talking about it for years. But not for the right reasons.

• Visited September 2011