“Best BBQ I have had in Omaha so far.”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Mobile, Alabama
“Best BBQ I have had in Omaha so far.”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went for lunch and ordered the beef brisket sandwich. At $6.99 with one side dish, it is a pretty good sized sandwich for the money. Brisket was tender and juicy, cole slaw was a little too dry for my taste and the baked beans were just plain ordinary beans. The hot sauce was tasty without being too hot. The main drawback for me was the wimpy bun. If you are selling a BBQ sandwich, put it on bread that doesn't turn to much when it gets BBQ sauce on it!

Visited January 2014

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“I really wanted to like the food”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I'm sorry to write this review. I'm sorry because those who were working tonight when we came for dinner seemed very nice. Because of this, I will start by saying I really liked the chicken. This was part of my combination dinner. The rib and chicken combo was served with a leg and thigh, which were smoked and then fried. It had a very light smokiness, and a great crisp texture. It was really quite terrific and unique. Everything else was (I'm so sorry, but it was) awful. My ribs were cooked beyond cooked. They were soggy, and with no crust whatsoever. The meat lacked any texture whatsoever. It was mush. I could not identify the species of wood they use for smoking, but whatever it is, they should use something different. It had a plastic flavor. Three house sauces were on the table: mild, medium, and hot. I found each to be thin verging on watery. I found the mild sauce indistinguishable from the medium. Initially, I found even the "hot" sauce to be exactly the same, but after a moment, the distinct heat of jalapeno warmed my palate, but not in a flavorful way, and not even that particularly hot. For sides, I selected the macaroni and cheese and French fries. The macaroni was overcooked and mushy. I expected it to be smoked. Perhaps it was. It tasted like Velveeta mac and cheese, only worse. The French fries were of the frozen bag variety, and were overcooked and hard. My companion had the pulled pork sandwich with baked beans. The baked beans looked and tasted identical to what you'd get from store bought pork and beans from a can. My companion had no specific comments on the pulled pork except that it was bland and dry.
The whole place could use a thorough scrubbing. We had sodas with our dinner, and I regret that even the soda had that telltale flavor of a soda dispenser that hadn't been cleaned for a while. Not so good.
I wish these kind people well. Heck, I'd even volunteer to help them. For free. I want them to be successful. I love what they're trying to do. Tonight, though, sadly, they really didn't do it very well.

• Visited August 2013
Nebraska
“Great bbq; really nice people”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

It's kind of a "dive" but the food is excellent and the help are both interesting and great at service. It's my favorite bbq place in town.

Visited July 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,550 helpful votes
“Decent BBQ at a good price....”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Big Horn Mountain BBQ has a decent brisket sandwich. The meat can be a little dry due to being too lean, so add some extra tangy BBQ sauce to help with the moistness needed for brisket. I have had better brisket so the 3 star review but it is not a bad lunch when the BBQ fix hits you and you are in the area.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank AlexanderDelarge
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Not bad, worth a shot”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I ate here with friends while passing through the area. The few restaurants I remembered from an earlier visit to Omaha were mostly on Howard street, and parking was a problem on Friday night, so my GPS took me here.

Overall, it was a little better than I expected. The location is not the most upscale part of town, but is close to the interstate and has ample parking. I had the brisket and pulled pork combo, and found them both decent, although I would have preferred the pork been shredded more. The coleslaw was great (vinegary and sweet, as I like it), which was a nice surpirse, and the friend snickers bar a fun dessert treat.

Although I have had better BBQ elsewhere, this was not bad, and I would not hesitate to go back if in the area.

• Visited July 2012