“Wheatfield’s Omaha’s disgrace”

Wheatfields
Ranked #2 of 39 Dessert in Omaha
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Omaha, Nebraska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wheatfield’s Omaha’s disgrace”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

First I was a huge fan of Wheatfield’s, the old market location as well as the store in west Omaha. Well that changed today. Took my 4 and 10 year old granddaughters into the old market location today 9-08-13 11:35am. So 16.00 dollars for (1) cookie (1) peanut butter balls and (1) banana cream pie, and (2) drinks) was going to let them set outside and enjoy the treats. Looked around and there were no outside seats. So in the restaurant are 4 empty tables and no line for them. Silly me thinking we could just use one of them, sit-down.
What happened next is almost beyond belief. One of the servers informed me theses tables were for full service customers only. I am no stranger to Wheatfield’s and understand they get busy and seating is at a premium. I had already decided to leave a tip since a server would have to clean the table after we were done. Now the breakfast rush was over the lunch rush had not started yet (nor where there anyone waiting to be seated) and four empty tables and a 4 and 10 year old child, not to mention I just spent 16.00 in the very restaurant that was being told we could not use their tables to eat said food. So I promptly got up and asked for manager and than a refund along with the owner’s phone number.
Here is where the candle is lit about how Wheatfield’s feels about customers. I reached Andrew on the phone, he is in charge of all three locations I was informed. After I explained what had happened he really showed little concern, explaining that the tables were for full service customers and the servers work for tips. After letting him know I was clued in to this and the rush was over and I planned to tip, he next informed, and I quote “People come in and order coffee, sit there for two hours and don’t tip”. That happens in the restaurant business sometimes. If you can’t deal with it than get out of it. Tim Johnston
Omaha Ne.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank t j

“Wide selection”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I've been to both wheatfields and this one is the better location. The menu is the same, and both are equally as busy (if this one isn't busier than the shadow lake site). The menu is actually almost overwhelming, especially when you can't decide if you want breakfast or dinner.
There aren't a lot of choices for people with multiple dietary restrictions, but there aren't many restaurants that do offer such. Substitutions or modifications aren't always practical either. Overall a great place with a lot of options that will satisfy almost any craving.

• Visited October 2012
Small Town, IA
“Varied menu - Everything Delicious!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had walked by Wheatfields one evening while walking in the Old Market area. We could tell it was a place we had to try. We had a wonderful lunch there the next day. The waitress (Jaleesa) was fantastic! The menu is large and varied and she patiently answered our questions and helped up with recommendations, too. The food was excellent. I can't say enough about how much we all enjoyed our meals. My only regret is that we weren't in Omaha long enough to go back another day for a meal. ok - two regrets - we were so full from our great meal that we had no room for dessert and were walking on a hot day so weren't able to grab takeout bakery items. I highly suggest that you make this a must stop while in Omaha.

• Visited August 2013
Washington DC
“Fine”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had a late breakfast here and enjoyed the delicious peach French toast, also had a scrambler (omelette) which was fine but felt cheated with the price, maybe it was my fault for not reading the menu carefully- I added 5 items on my scrambler and every single one of those items were charged extra. The scrambler's "base price" was $9.99, and this was for the eggs and toasts ONLY, everything else added would be extra. The extra items totaled $3, though that's not really much, but felt cheated about it. Maybe the menu should be clearer or the server should point that out. I thought I was a good reader, but I guess not, or I would've ordered something else.

We also had to wait for sometime to be seated while a number of employees saw us and were not acknowledged.

• Visited July 2013
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Usually one of our favorites in Omaha for breakfast and lunch”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were excited for our birthday lunch at Wheatfields. Celebrating my daughters Bday. We went right at noon on a Friday. It was very busy and looks like they are doing some renovations and construction. Anyways things started off bad and didn't get much better. Everyone seemed out of sorts. Seemed like the host and our waitress weren't getting along. He just threw us down at a table in frustration and told her to take over. I'm not quite sure what was going on? The food was just average not its usual. The icing on the cake was that the bathroom was not in service because of the construction and there were port a pottys out back. How do people wash their hands staff included. Think they should maybe close for a few days while doing renovations? Not sure we will be back for a long while. Maybe just to pick up items in the bakery to take home.

• Visited August 2013