“Good Tequila, but Not Omaha's Best Mexican”

La Mesa Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #602 of 1,383 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: La Mesa is a Mexican restaurant with locations in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and a fun atmosphere. Join us for awesome appetizers, exciting entrees, seafood specialties, fabulous fajitas, and mouthwatering margaritas. Catering is also offered with menu combinations that will satisfy any taste and budget. Join us today for some authentic Mexican cuisine that's sure to put a smile on your face!
Reviewed February 19, 2013

La Mesa is a tough restaurant to review. It's very reasonably priced, and they can serve up good reliable standard entrees, such as their enchiladas. On the other hand, their chimichunga borders on inedible on bad days, their fried ice cream is a mess, their beans are consistently runny, and their rice is usually too dry. By FAR the strongest point of the restaurant is their selection of tequila and the knowledgeablility of their bar staff. If you want a primer on how to appreciate fine tequila, this is the place to go, bar none. I spent an afternoon there once chatting with the bartender about appreciating the various varieties of the underappreciated drink; by the time I left, I had been well-schooled by most of the staff. Without exaggeration, I received more education that afternoon than I would expect at a high-caliber wine tasting. That said, while it's far from a truly bad restaurant (I have lived next door for six years with no horror stories), it's not a really good one, either.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was absolutely shocked to see the bad reviews here. I notice there seem to be two locations. We always eat at the one at 110th & Maple. Our son lives in Omaha and we love to eat at La Mesa when we visit. One of the reasons I like the restaurant is the decor. We live in TX and remember years ago the Mexican restaurants by us always had the colorful decor. That seems to have gone by the wayside and the Mexican restaurants look just like every other restaurant. No so with La Mesa. The decor is very "Mexican" and colorful with painted chairs. But the real reason we go is the food. I ordered a nacho appetizer as a meal. I can't remember what it was called but it was outstanding. It was so large I could only eat half of it. Took the other half home. We were leaving to go back to Dallas the next day and I didn't want to waste those delicious nachos so I ate them for breakfast! They were all mashed up and looked terrible but they were delicious even like that. Doesn't matter what other reviewers say, we will still look forward to going to La Mesa when we visit our son in Omaha.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We wanted to try this because it was rated #1 Mexican restaurant in Omaha. The employees and relatives must have voted for it, because we thought the food was terrible. The decor is colorful, but we won't go back to eat there.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Food was gross but edible I guess. Pretty expensive considering we didn't take home any leftovers (not that I'd ever want to eat it anyways, but still...) Keep driving, even Taco bell across the street is better.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the most unauthentic Mexican food I have ever had! It is extremely bland and overpriced. If you want amazing Mexican food, get yourself to 24th street where nearly anything you find will not only taste amazing, it will be cheaply priced.