“Great steak ”

Johnny's Cafe
Ranked #119 of 1,523 Restaurants in Omaha
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Omaha's Original Steak House Since 1922. Family owned and operated and proudly serving locals and visitors for over 90 years. Specializing in hand cut, aged on premise steaks and prime rib. Other menu items including chicken and fish available.
Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

For 35 years my friend and I return from our hiking trip and eat at Johnny's Cafe. The potato Au gratin is very good. The steaks are great and prime rib are superior. Starters are ok. Salad boring. Desserts are interesting. Enjoy the atmosphere. I suggest more memorabilia of the Wisconsin Badgers. Just joking. The stuffed mushrooms were very tasty. Staff always very nice.

omahasteakhouse, Owner at Johnny's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Thanks!

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

You have to see this place to believe it very very throwback and very very cool Marshall was a fantastic server I gave her a 15 rating on the 1 to 10 prime rib was excellent price is very fair all surrounded by a very great atmosphere I highly recommend this place you will not be disappointed

Thank you, we are glad you enjoyed your visit! We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

We read that this place was one of the places to see in Omaha and it did not disappoint. It was a bit hard to find but worth the effort, staff was friendly and food was good. A bit of history here since it was built in 1922.

omahasteakhouse, Manager at Johnny's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Thank you, we are glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Omaha is noted for being steak country and Roadfood.com had recommended this restaurant near the (old?) Omaha stockyards. My GPS ultimately led us there, although it would probably have been difficult to find if we had not had the electronic help. Although the restaurant did not appear to be in tip top condition, it did have the feel of a very comfortable restaurant and we were seated in a semicircular booth, which I always like. My wife ordered the chicken fried steak, but I was there for the real thing, so I chose the prime rib luncheon special. I was not disappointed - it was large, cooked perfectly and was delicious. I'm sure that I had vegetables, but I don't remember what they were or how they tasted, but the steak was wonderful. My wife and I shared an apple crisp for dessert and it was good, not great. The pricing was reasonable and I would certainly consider making a return visit to this steak restaurant.

1  Thank Twhatty
Reviewed June 29, 2018

My wife and I had been here several years ago and were disappointed with the quality of the food. Today, we were in the area on errands and decided to give it a try again. They were not busy and we were seated right away by the friendly hostess. We were waited on by Marsha who was very friendly. However, that is about where the good times stopped. My wife wanted an Italian wine which they did not have. All of their wines are California wines. The hostess, who we found is a granddaughter of the founder, suggested one of their popular wines and offered a sample. My wife tasted it and it was like vinegar and I also tasted it and concurred with her assessment. She ended ordering a bottle of a different wine which was made with a grape originating in Italy and it was very good. My wife ordered fried jumbo shrimp and it came with tarter sauce. We had to ask for cocktail sauce, which is usually the norm in any other restaurant we have been to. The coating on the shrimp was terribly overdone and basically burnt to a crisp. The shrimp itself was shrunken in the coating and "chewy" and tasteless. When brought to the attention of Masha, she took it back and returned telling us that the cook said they were overdone. Maybe should have made that decision before they left the kitchen. The new shrimp served was excellent. The coating was a light brown color instead of the dark brown we had before. The shrimp was not shrunken this time and was full bodied and flavorful. I had ginger chicken breasts (2) which the first one was very flavorful with some kind of marinade on it but I could not taste any ginger. The second one was very thin and overdone with much less of the taste of the marinade. We both ordered au graten potatoes that were dry and tasteless. We shared a desert that was bread pudding soaked in bourbon but we sure could not taste any bourbon in it. Also, the desert was somewhat dry. We really felt that some whipped cream would have made it better. In looking at their website today, it appears that it was supposed to have whipped cream. When we were leaving, my wife mentioned to the hostess our dissatisfaction with the first wine and how much we enjoyed the second one. Her response was that the first one was their best seller. Maybe there was something wrong with what was served to us. My wife also mentioned that the bread pudding would have been better with whipped cream on it and her response was an uncaring "uh huh". We really felt that our feedback fell on dead ears. Maybe we will try them again in another 10 years, if they are still there.

Been to Johnny's Cafe? Share your experiences!