“A favorite with not as good service”

Maru Korean and Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #223 of 1,383 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Maru used to b a little hole in the wall and slowly got nicer over the years. It has sushi which is ok. But the rest of the menu is amazing. If you go I recommend asking for the dinner bimbimbap it's to die for. What they do is they take this stone bowl and heat it at 500 degrees and then they put rice on the and it crisps up and it's making my mouth water just writing about it. Then put on kimchi and your choice of meat. When they bring it out it's still scorching hot so beware and the tables have marks from this dish cause it's so hot. A down side is the service isn't to great they're not very informed and they honestly don't seem to care...otherwise it's a great place ❤️

Reviewed July 7, 2014

As far as Korean restaurants go, the tastes are just fine. I had the Kal-bi and my friend had bulgogi. It was his first experience with Korean food. He liked his introduction to it as well. The greatest disappointment was the side dishes (panchan). To start off, there were only three very small servings of bean sprouts, bok choy, and spicy, pickled radish. It turns out that refills of the side dishes cost extra. I have never, ever been in any Korean restaurant in the US or in Korea that charged for refills of side dishes. The charge was way too much for the amount as well. I am glad I did not ask for a refill of rice. On the plus side, the service was very good and attentive.

In conclusion, the quality of the food is on par with most of the other Korean restaurants around the Omaha area. However, the cost is comparatively higher. I'll probably forego going to Maru again for Korean food. If I do go again, it will be to try their sushi.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

It has been awhile since I reviewed this fave of ours. But with today's triumphant OWH review, I felt the need to echo the praise. This is a top ten Omaha restaurant for my wife and me. The setting is lovely, the sushi is excellent, and the Korean fare sublime. We had the pork bulgogi tonight. Spicy and wonderful, with lots of veggies, sesame oil, kimchi, pickled bean sprouts and a nice side of potatoes. We also love the chicken yachae and the varieties of bibimbap. There are also large soups. We started with cups of their miso soup. Lovely. The sushi is also very good, close to Blue or Hiro standards. Service is another highlight. We were lucky to have JoJo. She is very attentive and simply nice. This is one of Omaha's best kept secrets. Go.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The food was good (but not extra special), service was good, and restaurant is lovely. I can't complain about that. Just keep in mind this is more expensive that your typical Asian hole-in-the-wall restaurant. I paid $55 before tip for two appetizers, two entrees and two soft drinks. The portion sizes were not large. Next time I'll save this place for more of a special occasion, and seek out a different korean restaurant for a casual dinner.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

LOVED this place, very casual yet chic. Great Korean seafood pancakes, kim chi fried rice, and excellent sushi. Average prices and excellent service made this a win.

Been to Maru Korean and Sushi Restaurant? Share your experiences!