“This is not the best restaurant in Omaha”
Review of Bangkok Cuisine

Bangkok Cuisine
Ranked #287 of 1,343 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Nebraska
“This is not the best restaurant in Omaha”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

At the time of this review, Trip Advisor has Bangkok listed as the #1 restaurant in Omaha. Bangkok is good, but it's definitely not the best. The food is tasty and the prices are decent. But the ambiance and cleanliness are terribly disappointing. It's pretty sad that this place is rated #1 in all of Omaha.

2 Thank Happyskies

Plainfield, Illinois
“Disappointing Pad See Ew”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I discovered Bangkok Cuisine in Omaha on March 23rd, 2010 (a Tuesday) while looking on TripAdvisor.com for Thai restaurants in Omaha, where I found myself traveling for work. It got good ratings, and it was only about a mile from where I was staying, so I decided to walk on over.

The restaurant occupies part of the ground floor of an older building in downtown Omaha. Its flashing neon OPEN lights beckoned me in. It was about 7:45 PM when I arrived, and a couple was sitting at one table, and three people were sitting at another near the back of the small room. The people at this second table turned out to be the workers. A young man told me I could choose any of the dozen or so tables and he immediately brought me a menu. The table I chose had a good view of the flat panel TV on which they were watching CNN.

I ordered beef pad see ew with a Thai iced tea. The server confirmed that the custard dessert was indeed served with sticky rice, so I went ahead and ordered that when I ordered the rest of the meal. While my tea was being prepared, I set up my laptop on the old wooden table to do some work. My tea arrived a short couple minutes later, but I found it to be less sweet than my liking.

My pad see ew arrived a few minutes later, after the CNN news had finished and the staff had changed to the History Channel to watch a show about snipers. Although I enjoyed watching this show, I wondered what some of the other patrons thought as they came in to pick up their carryout orders as recreated scenes of carnage on a Fallujah alley played out next to them. The pad see ew was disappointing. I actually wondered what it would be like, since the server asked me how hot I wanted it when I ordered it. I have never been asked that before when ordering that dish, as it is supposed to be served with sweet soy sauce. This one wasn't sweet at all and the beef was a bit tough. I just didn't care for it.

When I was about half way done with my plate, the server brought over my dessert. The custard warmed and the rice cooled as I finished my meal. By the time I got to it, both the custard and the rice were about the same temperature, which is a no-no in my book. The two were served side-by-side, and the rice wasn't very salty at all. Not the best sticky rice and custard I've ever had, but certainly not the worst either.

As I was wrapping things up, two separate groups of people--a man and woman who appeared to be friends and a group of men--came in and went back to the counter to place carryout orders. The group of men went about the business of placing their orders, emphasizing the level of hotness each was ordering. It was actually quite humorous, as they were playing a game of one-upsmanship over each other with their levels o hotness. At the end, an Asian man boldly placed his order with a level 10 hotness--the most that can be ordered here--explaining that if you're not crying, then the food isn't any good. The important thing about these groups is that one of the men was obviously a regular customer and was a bit upset that the usual staff wasn't there. "She knows just how I like it", he said at one point. So this leads me to believe that my experience at this restaurant on this particular night was not the norm, and that could explain the somewhat disappointing meal that I had.

Will I go back? Probably not. But if I do, it'll only be if I can find out if a regular crew is back behind the counter. Then I'll be able to give their cuisine a fair shake.

2 Thank V_B_Z
Missouri
“Mmmmm...Bangkok”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I love Bangkok Cuisine. It is definitely in my top 5 favorite restaurants in Omaha...or anywhere for that matter. I especially love the Cashew Chicken and Tom Kah soup. It is the best Thai food I have tried in the Omaha and Kansas City area. I love how they use thai (bird's eye) chilis for spice. The chef knows how much I love spice and usually includes a few whole chilis for me. The only menu item I have been disappointed with is the pad thai. It is just ok compared to most other thai places.

“Great Thai food......in the middle of Omaha”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

The Thai food was as good as we have ever had, including NY and Asia. My wife and I were in town for a couple days and went back for lunch after enjoying dinner so much the first night. It was good that they had such a high recommendation, because this is a classic case of "don't judge a book by it's cover". Don't go for the atmosphere, but don't miss it for the food. Everything we tried was good. The owners are very friendly.

Plano, Texas
“Food is fine, ambiance not so fine”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

The place is owned by a family and the food is fine. The ambiance is kind of run down and not to the mark of a restaurant that is ranked 1 in a decent sized city like Omaha. The 3 rating is due to ambiance and cleanliness being lacking.

Food is fine but I had better thai food in other experiences, I never compare with a cuisine that is in the same city but I do compare with same cuisine in other cities as well.

2 Thank kdandu