“Great Craft Brews and Plenty of Room”

Upstream Brewing Company - Old Market Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstream Brewing Company - Old Market Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,361 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11th & Jackson
Transit: Upstream Brewing Company and the Old Market area are easily accessible by Metro Area Transit bus routes 10 and 13 and Express route 95.
Description: Since opening in 1996, Upstream Brewing Company has become well known for its great food, friendly service, terrific beer and casual upscale atmosphere. We feature an extensive menu of new American pub fare including: Omaha's best appetizers and thin-crust pizzas, pub favorites, superb steaks featuring hand cut "Omaha Steaks" beef, fresh fish, pasta dishes, main course salads, hearty sandwiches and, a great children's menu. Our fully stocked bars feature our award winning fresh, handcrafted beers and root beer on tap and, our extensive wine list features over 50 selections. Large parties are welcome and we have multiple options for seating large groups. Named "One of Omaha's Top Ten Restaurants" by the Omaha World Herald, and the winner of dozens of "Best of Omaha" Awards, Upstream Brewing Company is the ideal gathering place for any group. Call ahead for group reservations or to be placed on our waiting list.
Sunderland, Maryland
“Great Craft Brews and Plenty of Room”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you're looking for some great craft brews and want the elbow room to enjoy them, this is your place. While in Omaha on business, 2 colleagues and I stopped in. There was an exceptional amount of traffic in Omaha due to an Art convention but, we were able to be seated immediately. We all ordered rib eye steaks but, were not wowed by their preparation. I've had a better cut of meat in a lot of places throughout the world than I received in an area touted for its steaks. The decor of the establishment was very nice and the service was attentive. If ever in Omaha, I would return again.

Smiths Grove, Kentucky
“Great Food! Great Times!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

As a new resident in Omaha I wanted my first meal in Old Town to be the right meal at the right place. You can't go wrong with the Upstream Brewing Company. As I wandered old town I heard several people say, "Should we check Upstream?" So I took their advice.

I sat outside where I could watch those who passed by. It was around 1:15 just after the Friday lunch crowd on a sunny day. My waiter was quick to ask if he could get me water and I also ordered a house beer. He told me the specials which included a pork belly BLT. When he brought me my beer I asked for the pork belly BLT.

In relatively quick time my food arrived. Oh! The pork belly BLT was awesome. The pork belly took the place of the bacon. The bread was fresh, toasted, and there was tomato and lettuce. I got the smashed potatoes for my side. They were to die for four. I could taste the sour cream and parmesan cheese. Not sure which was best.

The outdoor area is divided into two parts. There is an area under the trees and long stretch of tables by the building. My waiter was working both. As my water and beer ran dry we made eye contact from the distance and he noticed my slightly raised index finger. As soon as he took an order he came to my table with order and took my beer order -- the Danny Boy Stout. Which was good.

As my second beer came to an end my waiter brought me my bill. He told me there was no hurry and that I could sit longer if I wanted. You are outdoors on a sunny day and I want to people watch. I really appreciated that there was no hurry to pay.

After paying I toured the building. The inside hostess was more then eager to tell me about the historic building and let me look around. They have two floors, a pool table area, and two bars. Lots of TV's with sports on also. Seems like it would be a great place for a cold winter night.

I enjoyed this and can't wait to go back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nothing outstanding, but not bad either”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had one of their in-house brews -- a porter, IIRC -- and it was solid. The steak I had was prepared correctly, but it was a little lacking in flavor. Service was excellent, despite the fact that we were a very large party.

Visited May 2013
Eloy, Arizona
“We were disappointed, but nice selection of beers”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our daughter(who'd lived in Omaha area a few years ago) and Trip Advisor gave this restaurant good reviews. So on a recent trip, with an overnight stay Omaha, we thought we'd give it a try. We went on a Sunday night about 6:15. There was no wait for a table. Our waitress was friendly, but took a very long time bringing my husband his beer (at least 15 minutes). That seemed to set the tempo for the evening. Our waitress kept disappearing for long periods of time (without any explanation or apology). From where we were sitting and the layout of the second floor of the restaurant, we couldn't see how many tables she had or if she had a large party.

The menu offered steaks, pot roast, pork medallions with potatoes and vegetables. There were other full entree items to choose from, however we weren't that hungry. We were a little disappointed with the very limited sandwich selection. My husband ordered a burger, which was fine. I opted for the mac & cheese with smoked cream cheese, cheddar, jack cheese and ham. While the portion was generous, it was bland with a very thin cheese sauce. I was expecting a richer, baked type cheese sauce. I wouldn't order this again. The highlight of our meal was a warm strawberry rhubarb crisp with ice cream.

According to my husband the beer selection was nice, and they did give him a small free sample to try the beer first that he wanted to order. (But again then waited 15 minutes for that beer to arrive once he ordered it.)

The restaurant is located in the Old Market section of downtown Omaha. It's in on old converted warehouse or factory space. There are a lot of stairs leading to the second floor (and a steep staircase), but they do have an elevator. Parking can be difficult to find, so you may have to walk a bit if the area is crowded.

The price for what was got was about what you'd expect to pay. However, our meal took over 11/2 hours. And the service really was poor. I usually am not to critical of service, but this was exceptionally poor.

Clear Lake, Wisconsin
“Nice Sunday Brunch, great service”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to Upstream on the Old Market for their Sunday Brunch Buffet. The buffet offerings were similar to many brunch buffets, but we did find the food to be better than many. There were some wonderful, obviously fresh, scones, muffins and quick breads. They also had made to order omelettes, lots of tasty fresh fruit, waffles, french toast, and really good bacon. There were lunch offerings if you wanted lunch, including a couple nice salads, a pasta dish, vegetables, fish, chicken and roast beef, Juice, coffee, and milk were included in the price. You can't go wrong with their brunch buffet - everything was very good, including our server!

• Visited May 2013