“Great beer in the Old Market”

Upstream Brewing Company - Old Market Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Upstream Brewing Company - Old Market Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,377 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11th & Jackson
Transit: Upstream Brewing Company and the Old Market area are easily accessible by Metro Area Transit bus routes 10 and 13 and Express route 95.
Description: Since opening in 1996, Upstream Brewing Company has become well known for its great food, friendly service, terrific beer and casual upscale atmosphere. We feature an extensive menu of new American pub fare including: Omaha's best appetizers and thin-crust pizzas, pub favorites, superb steaks featuring hand cut "Omaha Steaks" beef, fresh fish, pasta dishes, main course salads, hearty sandwiches and, a great children's menu. Our fully stocked bars feature our award winning fresh, handcrafted beers and root beer on tap and, our extensive wine list features over 50 selections. Large parties are welcome and we have multiple options for seating large groups. Named "One of Omaha's Top Ten Restaurants" by the Omaha World Herald, and the winner of dozens of "Best of Omaha" Awards, Upstream Brewing Company is the ideal gathering place for any group. Call ahead for group reservations or to be placed on our waiting list.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

A great location in the Old Market, with quaint, slightly upscale atmosphere provides superb beer, and food that can range from lip-smacking amazing to outright bad. Aaaalllmost gets a 5th star, but a couple of the entrees have let me down.

Beer
I have probably been to Upstream two or three dozen times. And I always get one of their beers during my visits. If that doesn't say how much I like Upstream's beer, I don't know what will. My favorite is the Scottish Ale. It's a nutty, mildly hoppy dark ale with a slightly sweet finish. Simply amazing. Their other ales and pale ales have almost always been terrific. Flagship IPA is terrific. My wife absolutely loves the Raspberry wheat, to the point where she claims it is one of her favorite beers. Can't say enough about the beer here. Upstream also offers 16 oz and 23 oz glasses. Try to go during a happy hour and you can get terrific deals.

The food is hit and miss. Sometimes it is terrific and sometimes is disgusting. My absolute favorite is their beer-cheese gouda soup. Simply amazing. One of the best soups I have ever had, so much so that I sometimes make a meal of just soup and bread. The burgers are also quite good. Generous portions and flavorful meat. Last night I got the Chimichurri chicken and it was quite good. Good flavorful rice, good guacamole, and well seasoned chicken. A bit pricey at $17, but a generous portion. My wife almost always gets one of the flatbread pizzas and she is always very happy with them. The crust is very flaky and buttery and toppings are high quality and plentiful. The cheese is very good too. Unfortunately, I have had two down right terrible items at upstream. One day I decided to try the Jumbalaya and was very disappointed. Pretty much tasted like a can of chef boyardee. Gross. I have also been very disappointed by the fish and chips. Batter was not flavorful, portion was a bit less than I expected, and the house made tartar sauce was not good.

The restaurant has a very good service crew and we have never had anything below average service. Most times service is very good to fantastic. This is the type of place where your soda pop is rarely less than 1/3 full.

The place is huge inside. And very well decorated and designed. I was say the overall them is a slightly upscale, ever-so-slight lodgy feel, that treads a tasteful line between rustic and modern. Overall very aesthetically pleasing place to sit around and have a few beers. The outdoor patio is one of Omaha's best, especially during the summer.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stopped for a beer. The beer was very good and the service was great. The brewery and restaurant are in an old fire station building. Outdoor seating was great on nice early autumn day.
Old Market area is fun place to see and experience.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We liked the place but it felt so much like any other micro-brewery we have been to. The beer was good but nothing that made it special to my taste. The food was good but the gnocchi was a bit heavy.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Upstream's great brews are only half of the equation. Actually the food and the service are so good, you will forget that they're a brewery! The spinich dip is great, the bread is wonderful. All the entrees are huge, and the brunch on Sunday is the best.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My son and I ate an early dinner at the Upstream on a Saturday night. My son has a gluten allergy and they had a menu for him to order off of. We both got the lamb kabobs, which were excellent. I also had one of their local beers. Very good! Our server was very attentive and made sure we had what we needed. We will be back again!