“Had a Great Time at Gorat's”

Gorat's Steak House
Ranked #89 of 1,383 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S. 50th St
Description: Gorat's Steak House has been an Omaha tradition for more than 69 years. Founded in 1944 by Louis and Nettie Gorat, and subsequently operated by their son, Louis, Jr. - affectionately known as “Pal” - and his family, Gorat’s has catered to generations of Omaha families and visitors alike, proudly serving quality steaks, Italian specialties and other local favorites. Omaha restaurateur purchased Gorat’s in the fall of 2012 and after an updating of the interior and kitchen, reopened in December of 2012. The menu continues the tradition of local Italian steak house fare with the addition of new favorites such as signature entrees, tantalizing salads and freshly prepared pastas. A frequent stop of the “Wizard of Wall Street” Warren Buffett, Gorat’s has hosted celebrities and dignitaries from around the world. Whether you are a new visitor or someone whose family has previously enjoyed the Gorat’s Steak House tradition, we welcome you and wish you buon appetito!
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I must caveat this review by saying it is totally based on the experience I had at Gorat's and not necessarily the restaurant itself. We were two of those who went solely to experience the Warren Buffett aura. We were at this years conference and had Sunday reservations. Somehow I got my reservation time confused and called to let them know I was an hour late. The restaurant still allowed us to proceed, saying that they would fit us in. We were seated with two other couples (six of us in all) whom we had never met. At first I was a little uncomfortable with this, but it turned out to be great and we had a wonderful time chatting with the other two couples. I was not concerned that Gorat's was trying to fill all the table seating. The steaks were extremely good and well cooked all around the table. The side dishes were nothing really. The decor for the place is also nothing to write home about. All in all, we had wonderful steaks, had fun meeting new people and left happy. This was a one time thing for us and I'm very glad we did not pass on the experience.

1  Thank James P

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Continued my cross country road trip and passed through Omaha. I had always wanted to check out the place that Warren enjoyed and I was not disappointed. Very humble interior, def not the a place I would imagine a billionaire would go. Got a filet mignon and the corn casserole....AMAZING, most tender filet I have ever eaten. Will be returning when I find myself back in town!

3  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed May 31, 2014

The original Gorat's had their own aging cooler, one of the last in the area. Steaks were always done to perfection, the best Omaha had to offer. I don't understand why the new owner decided to pull the plug on the aging cooler and offer Omaha Steaks instead. I'm glad that he chose to keep "a few" of the previous waitresses. They bring personality to the restaurant unless you enjoy listening to the owner chewing out the help in front of customers. Hate the new design and paint job, fugly! Cheap looking floors and ugly paint. No atmosphere.

2  Thank June B
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Visited after the Berkshire Hathaway 2014 AGM as well.

Set up was a little old world, and dishes were the usual large American size, so we decided to share 2 steaks among 3 of us. T bones were 22 oz and Eye Fillets were 8 oz. They even had buffalo, though I thought this was a bit chewy.

Overall, I felt that the steaks were ordinary and nothing much to write about.

2  Thank theteaman_aus
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Friendly atmosphere, if a bit dated.

Large serves (what else would you expect in the US!).

Great onion rings. :)

Enjoyed our meal. Open specially on Sunday after the Berkshire meeting.

1  Thank David_Maywald