“Great steaks”

Gorat's Steak House
Ranked #64 of 1,351 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S. 50th St
Description: Gorat's Steak House has been an Omaha tradition for more than 69 years. Founded in 1944 by Louis and Nettie Gorat, and subsequently operated by their son, Louis, Jr. - affectionately known as “Pal” - and his family, Gorat’s has catered to generations of Omaha families and visitors alike, proudly serving quality steaks, Italian specialties and other local favorites. Omaha restaurateur purchased Gorat’s in the fall of 2012 and after an updating of the interior and kitchen, reopened in December of 2012. The menu continues the tradition of local Italian steak house fare with the addition of new favorites such as signature entrees, tantalizing salads and freshly prepared pastas. A frequent stop of the “Wizard of Wall Street” Warren Buffett, Gorat’s has hosted celebrities and dignitaries from around the world. Whether you are a new visitor or someone whose family has previously enjoyed the Gorat’s Steak House tradition, we welcome you and wish you buon appetito!
Ramsey, Minnesota
“Great steaks”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I went to have steak here while on a out of town trip with 8 other guys. I ordered the whisky steak, which I believe was a ribeye for around $19 and very good. Two of my friends ordered filet mignon, which they both said was the best steak they ever had. Another guy ordered the lobster tail as a side item and it was about as big as a size 6 shoe. I was told by someone Warren Buffet takes his workers there. The decor is more old school lke 60's or 70's and they had a live jazz band playing in the bar area. Our table was unanimous in giving Gorat's steaks a big thumbs up!!!

• Visited November 2013

Omaha
“Steaks wonderful”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I rarely go out to a steakhouse but wanted to try this. The food was excellent but don't let them seat you in the room with only one table. Thought this would be nice but sat for 10 minutes waiting for an offer of another chocklatini or even water refill. Talked to manager who offered a not very sincere apology.

• Visited December 2013
Omaha
“Good lunch menu”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We've gone here for dinner for years and occasionally had lunch here when we needed a beef fix. Since the new owners took over, I've had lunch twice here. The new menu has a very reasonably priced daily special that isn't just beef. For a buck more you can get soup or salad with lunch. Service was great both days and the time between ordering and getting our food was short. I like the new decor and the fact that they now have windows in both dining rooms. The Italian steakhouse flocked wallpaper is gone replaced by a brighter pleasant space.

• Visited December 2013
Omaha, Nebraska
“New owners”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have not eaten here since the place was sold. The dining area was completely redone, although I think I recognized some of the paintings. The menu seemed the same. I thought the prices seemed reasonable, except one of the people I was with ordered the New York Strip and was disappointed. He did not feel it was a $32 meal. The rest of us were happy with our meals and pricing. Together we ordered Chicken Fried Chicken, Chicken Fried Steak, Chicken Picatta, and the salmon special. All of us took home half our meals as the portions are pretty large. We had also ordered the Fried Green Beans and Onion RIngs before dinner - and those portions were also quite large. There was a band playing in the bar area - this area has not been remodeled - so after dinner we went there for drinks. The evening was enjoyable - I would eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
Exeter, New Hampshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Steaks are perfect but the bag salad and stark decor sucks.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading that old man Buffet likes this place I convinced my friends to dine there. I was so surprised at the almost cafeteria style decor. Think Perkins and then dial down a notch. There did appear to be two separate areas so maybe we got the worst side. As for the food. One of the members of our dining group got a very grisely steak, and the other three steaks were perfectly cooked. The salad that came with the entree was straight out of a bag, bare, no cukes, green peppers or any of the good stuff associated with salads. The Pear William desert had one sliver of a pear, so little that our waitress brought us another slice. The second slice also suffered from lack of Pear. Our bill was $144 for 4, each of us had a cocktail before dinner, we ordered on ap for the table and we had coffees and one Pear William for desert. Waitstaff was well trained and on the mark. Lots of really good places to eat in Omaha. This one will not be a revisit for me or my friends.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank foodiesnoodie

Been to Gorat's Steak House? Share your experiences!