“Always love it”

Malara's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #170 of 1,383 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've never had a bad experience here. The food is wonderful, and I especially love the bread rolls. Great place for a family dinner. It's in an out-of-the-way location, and I don't think I would have known about it had my grandma not lived in the neighborhood. The only thing I don't like is that it's closed on Sundays!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I like Malara's finally after a few tries. I usually choose white sauce unless I know the red doesn't have onion and tomato chunks. Just my preference. The first few times at Malara's, I had white sauce. It's not my favorite, thick cream with not a lot of cheese flavor. Mangia's and Sgt. Pfeffers white sauces are better. I finally learned that the way to go is red sauce here. It is sweet and no chunks, and that is what I like. Spaghetti and meatball is excellent. So is chicken parm. The mozarella sticks and toasted ravioli is great here too. The salad is drenched with dressing which I don't mind. Parmesan is good here! The rolls are nothing special. I would not recommend ordering non-Italian food like fried chicken. Stick to their specialities. I like the atmosphere. It's a good place to go if you feel like an old homy sitdown place instead of a chain or fast food.

1  Thank A_from_Midtown
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Malara's is a nice little mom and pop restaurant. Very friendly service great food with large portions. They have their house dressing on all of the salads it is very good. All of their food is Italian and home made. Great place to go with the family or just a date night.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I really want to love this place because it’s locally-owned and it’s Italian, but I just can’t. I remember coming here as a teen, and enjoying it. So I’m not sure if time has changed this restaurant, or if my tastes have changed, but I just don’t enjoy it anymore. The service is always slow, which I don’t mind if I’m in a situation where I want to linger, like an evening with good friends or out on a date. But the last two times I’ve been, we’ve either been the only patrons or there were less than 5 others in the restaurant. In which case, I do expect better service.

I’m not a fan of sweet tomato sauce and theirs is pretty sweet, so perhaps part of my bias is because of personal preferences. I’m also less than impressed with the side salad – iceberg lettuce drenched in not-very-good Italian dressing. I did enjoy the toasted ravioli, however, and also thought the tiramisu was very good. The ricotta and pasta are supposedly homemade, and I will say the texture of the pasta was great. I guess my biggest complaint besides the service is the sauces and seasonings, which just seemed bland.

The ambiance is just average. Nothing magical, a bit aged, but clean. As for the price, based on quantity and quality, I think it is fairly priced if you enjoy the flavor of their food. Overall, I probably won’t be back. If you are local and looking for something new to try, this might be worth it. But if you are only going to be in town for a few days, and want the best Italian that Omaha has to offer, this isn’t it.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very simple restaurant run by an older, very hard working Italian mother and her three daughters. VERY good food. Homemade sausage, pasta from scratch - it starts in a flour bag!