“Delicious!”

Famous Dave's
Ranked #875 of 1,368 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This place was excellent! Delicious barbeque, the politest, nicest staff I've ever encountered in a restaurant, and a great price. It was our first visit to a Famous Dave's. Our waiter explained the menu, was attentive to our needs, and at the end, asked my husband which barbeque sauce he liked best (didn't ask me, I had fish and didn't use any of the many sauces on the table). When he brought out our check, he also brought us a complimentary bottle of my husband's chosen sauce and a gift card for a free appetizer on our next visit. We'll definitely be going back soon!

There are newer reviews for Famous Dave's

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great food. The downfall on my part is that I ate too much because it was so good. I would order the sampler and split between two people

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Famous Dave's is always a must-stop everywhere we go that has them. This particular restaurant however is not up to par as far as the Famous Dave's chain goes. We felt as if we weren't supposed to be there. The staff was so-so, and emitted a slight feel of racism, in fact when we didn't know what we wanted to order when we walked in the door of the to-go area and asked for time to review the menu we were simply abandoned by the first server and eventually had to later ask for assistance. The feeling we got while in the restaurant just simply wasn't warm and fuzzy like it usually is. Side dishes turned out to be abbreviated and disappointing when we got back to our hotel rooms with our orders. The ribs weren't their usual "fall-off-the-bone-done", they were under-cooked. We were staying in downtown Omaha but didn't realize the Council Bluffs Famous Dave's was many miles closer to downtown Omaha than this location. Our mistake, it won't happen again.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Famous Dave's - we went out of our way on a road trip to Colorado to find this place that is on billboards along interstate 80. We kept our appetite because we were really looking forward to some genuine barbecue. This bbq joint has the potential to be excellent but it fell short. It was decorated in a warm and casual way and had a fun atmosphere. I find that It impossible to get hot bbq. As a chef I cant understand why- it is a simple matter of heating up the food. We looked over the menu which was not extensive but had a few choices and offered platter combinations- a great way to sample a variety of foods. You can add meat to your platters for round 4 dollars.
We ordered a beer - the server did not know what an IPA beer was and looked startled when asked. We had to wait a long time to get the drink order to our table.That was when I first started looking for a manager.
We started with burnt barbecue tips- they were not burnt and they were beef and were chewy and fatty. The tips were served with soggy cold undercooked onion rings and raw onions and pickles as a garnish. They were sent back - they were stone cold. I was impressed when management did not charge for this appetizer- a nice example of how more restaurants should address poor food. Our server was a young man with no idea how to do his job.Once again I had hoped to see a manager on the floor so I could ask him where our food was. I have noticed a real increase in restaurants that lack management.
As for the mains, I had ordered a combo platter that included 3 ribs, 6 chicken wings - that arrived much later than the platter, and pork. The portions are not large. The meal came with coleslaw- which was sweet but fresh, and steamed broccoli - the best part of the meal. It was hot and perfectly cooked. The ribs were cold- but tasted of smoke they could have benefited from more time in the smoker. I ate one of the three ribs on my platter. On every table there is a canister with 6 different sauces - they all had the same base but had varying intensity of heat. I thought this was a nice touch to add your own sauce. However the real rescue for room temperature ribs is hot sauce and these sauces were at room temperature. The bbq pork was not pulled but in chunks, open faced on a piece of white bread. In today’s food world with so many bread options- (even Wendy’s has a pretzel bun) there is no excuse for plain sliced white bread. I prefer the taste and texture of pulled pork so I was disappointed with chunks. Once again the flavour was very good. I am not sure there is a pit master at Famous Dave’s but the barbecue flavour was authentic- it was the texture of the meats that needed to be addressed with more cooking. The side salad which I had requested be accompanied by blue cheese dressing was indifferent- Once again with all the lettuce options there is little excuse for iceberg lettuce. Fast food chains use mesclun- Furthermore the dressing was ranch with bleu cheese added- not blue cheese dressing. As I travel across the West I notice that almost all restaurants are doing this short cut. My companion ordered ribs and they came with beans and cold french fried potato wedges. I tasted the beans which had decent flavour - but just warm. The meal comes with a cornmeal muffin - the server arrived with one and said he owed us a corn muffin- which arrived at the end of the meal- The cornbread muffin was hot and sweet-I like corn niblets and jalapeños is my cornbread muffins. The kitchen needs to adjust the recipe as I noticed that half of my muffins stuck onto the muffin liner and as i walked out of Famous Dave’s I noticed all the diners were having the same trouble.
The chicken wings that were included in my platter were inedible- I did have difficulty explaining to the server what I wanted- so it came as no surprise that what I ordered was not what came out of the kitchen. I ordered hot buffalo wings with extra hot sauce on the side. The wings arrived with no sauce and they were tiny and tough. I let my companion take a taste of the various items. We agreed that the food was cold. He was hesitant to send food back because of all the shows on the Food Network showing how the kitchen treats the food of disgruntled diners. I assured him that in my experience as a Chef- no one gets nasty when the food is returned once. I jokingly said it becomes more of a probability if the food is returned twice.
I have noticed a recent trend- no one ever asks whether we would like dessert and coffee, let alone a brandy. We skipped dessert and left with a doggy bag. To be honest the food tasted better the next day after a good long time in a medium oven. Dinner for two, with 3 beers, an appetizer and two mains was around 65.00 dollars. All in all the dining experience was ok- the flavour was in some of the barbecued food, which is a bonus because lots of establishments fall short or add liquid smoke to imitate real barbecue. Service does need improvement and the kitchen needs to make sure the food served is hot. I would be prepared to go back and give this restaurant a second chance.

2  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This place is really good and if you dont get full there you probably need go to an all you can eat or something. Really good I would go back.

Been to Famous Dave's? Share your experiences!