“Local burger joint”

Cuisines: American
Ottawa, Illinois
“Local burger joint”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Colleague and I were told by locals that this was the place to go on the east side of Omaha. We were staying up by the airport and it only took us 8 minutes to get there. Definitely use GPS because 29th street parallels 480 but only for a block - the block that the bar is on. I'm not sure what I expected but it is a bar atmosphere. There are tables, the kind you find in any local bar across the country. We went on a weds night when there was no college sporting events taking place. I'm glad we picked this night, there were plenty of seats available as I understand it, when there is a game......you won't get a table. When you walk in, go straight go the back to order your food, there is a small sign above the counter where you need to order. CASH ONLY! They give you a number to set on the table and then you have to go to the bar to get a drink. Kind of tedious, but they don't need servers so they can keep the cost down. The menu was a good mix of food. Burgers weren't the only thing but that was a large chunk of the menu. Thats what we went for, so I didn't need to look at the other items available. The "Haystack" is the most popular....I wasn't in the mood for ham and egg on my burger so I did not order that one. I did order a bacon cheeseburger and their homemade onion rings. The patties are 7oz according to the menu and while not seasoned, still had plenty of flavor. The onion rings are not the kind you find at a chain restaurant that are thick and stiff. There was no mistaking these for homemade, though most of mine were not rings, more like pieces of onion.
Overall, once I got over the "you aren't from around here are ya" stares and concentrated on the Chicago Blackhawks on TV, I thoroughly enjoyed this place. I will definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a good burger, a local place, and casual.

2 Thank storm0926

Omaha, Nebraska
“A Creighton Basketball Pre-game Tradition”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great local bar/restaurant with excellent burgers. An enjoyable place to meet with fellow Creighton supporters, and meet fans before, during and after the game.

Visited January 2013
USA
“As advertised: Best Burger!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Dinker's is a classic little bar that's tucked away while still in plain sight! I've been in Omaha for a few years and I was always able to easily see Dinker's from the interstate but it's not convenient to access from my daily route. I finally decided to go out of my way to get there with my brother (who had been before) -- a quality decision!

Do not mistake Dinker's for a fancy meal. You order at the bar, pick up your own food, and you ENJOY. It's a good old-timer bar environment. Always locals around to talk to. And the burgers are heavenly!

OH! Be sure to bring cash... If I remember correctly, they don't accept plastic (I could be wrong but all I remember is that I went there with my brother and he told me to bring cash, so I assumed by that he meant Dinker's didn't accept plastic).

• Visited November 2012
“Great burgers.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Family went there last night. Great food and atmosphere. I had a bacon cheeseburger and fries. They have lots of homemadewe selections.

Get off 480 at martha , go to south on5th ramp and stay right. Should have more reviews.

1 Thank Flyboy-LNK
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Excellent burgers in a relaxed atmosphere!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were on a road trip to Omaha for a wedding. While in the car, we noticed in the recent edition of "Midwest Living" magazine, that Omaha had one of the "10 Best Burger" places in the midwest. We couldn't pass the opportunity up!

Dinkers is right off of the highway, a little bar in a neighborhood -- although you may drive past it on the highway and wonder how to get to it. We used GPS to guide us there, and that was very helpful. Parking is on the street in front of the building.

Customers go to an "order" counter to order their food. We were a group of four, and each of us tried a different type of burger (there's one that has a hockey-type name, one with mushrooms, etc.). You seat yourself, and it looks like there is a constant crowd of customers. The magazine wasn't wrong -- these burgers were great! Decent sized, decent priced. You can buy pull-tabs while waiting for your food, which also made it fun.

There was a very good beer selection, and the beer was nice and cold on this hot, June day. We were surprised to learn that our friends who live in Omaha had never tried it, so obviously we recommended it.

Tips:
- Use GPS if possible to guide you there, since it seemed a little difficult to get to.
- Park on highway side of the street -- more available parking and easy to turn around and get back to highway that way (other side of the street has residences).
- Don't go right at lunch or right at dinner time. We got there at 4:30 pm. Was able to find a table immediately. The place really filled up at 5pm, and people were waiting for seats.
- Have everyone in your group try a different type of burger so that you can all sample. Every one we ordered was great.

• Visited June 2012

Been to Dinker's Bar? Share your experiences!