“SOOOO Disappointing!”

Gerda's German Restaurant and Bakery
Ranked #80 of 1,343 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Established in 1976.
1f9mom
“SOOOO Disappointing!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were SO excited to visit Gerda's, planning our day around our visit since they close early at 3pm on Tuesday, & are closed Monday, the only days that worked for us to go. When we arrived, parking is nearly impossible, but we used the adjacent convenience store lot! No greeting when we arrived, oh well, we got over that! Menus were brought, everything we asked about: dumplings, german noodles "we were out of", german potato salad "we only have a little bit"…not even offering us their " little bit"! We still happily ordered their famous Rueben sandwich! When it arrived, the front & back halves of our breads were different…I commented on this - noticing the tables around us all had the dark rye for their entire sandwich, & the waitress coldly replied "their both rye" - meaning both breads, one dark & one light. OK, whatever, apparently they ran out of dark rye bread too??? Who knows, it wasn't explained to us! Then, our bread was only warm & soggy, not nicely grilled or toasted as any rueben sandwich should be! & hardly any sauerkraut at all! Served with a bag of Lays Potato chips & a hefty bill of $20.90 for 2 of the WORST Rueben sandwiches we could ever imagine. The hospitality was cold as ice! We definitely will not return, & recommend it is NOT worth your time or gas money either! & we were SOOOO looking forward to it!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank 1f9mom

Greenwood, Indiana
“Outstanding German food and baked goods”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for great German food in Omaha, this is the place. We went on a Saturday night. Be sure to make a reservation.....everything is made fresh. The sauerbraten is the best that I have had in long time. Potato cakes were delicious but only available as an appetizer. Goulash was very tasty, flavorful and tender. Save some room for dessert. We took a slice of the hand made German chocolate cake home.....it didn't make it long. Moist and very good. They have limited parking in front of the restaurant but a large lot just a block away. We will be back.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank IndyOmahaCincyKid
Omaha, Nebraska
“Terrific German food, great meal”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Visited later on a Wednesday. Apparently was busier earlier, but was not when I came. I got their signature pork schnitzel and felt I got a great value with the soup, spaetzle, cake, and wine that came with on their fixed price offering. Food was excellent. Will visit again if I come to town.

Visited February 2014
“Wonderful food! ”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took the kids here for St. Nicholas Day (12/6) and we all really enjoyed our authentic German meals. My kids (8 & 12) were the only children there. We went back last night with another couple (no kids this time) and had another wonderful experience! Great, authentic German food & a friendly wait staff. And their bakery items are icing in the cake!

Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Two thumbs up!!! Authentic Deutsch food.”
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Quaint, modest little restaurant with bakery. Been looking everywhere since I came into the Omaha area for authentic Deutsch cuisine. I always walked away disappointed until now. Gerda's restaurant with its tantalizing dishes brought my taste buds on a trip back to the old world. Go for the goulash or schnitzel...stay for dessert.

• Visited November 2013