“Beautiful Gardens”

Lauritzen Gardens Omaha's Botanical Center
Ranked #2 of 127 things to do in Omaha
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The formal rose gardens are wonderful and the model train exhibit was a big hit with my son. It is pretty hilly so be prepared to walk. They have a tram but walk is nice. The two locomotives near the parking lot make a very impressive display

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have been to the Lauritzen Gardens many times, and used to have a membership, which was worth the money. It's an ever-changing experience, with many areas added and developed more since its expansion.

I've visited on rainy days, hot days, Winter days and early spring days. There is always something visually wonderful to see. When I had a membership I'd go just for the nice walk to the shade garden at the farthest end, one of my favorite places. I also like the hosta garden by the stream bed.

Often you'll see turkeys in the "tree" area. The roses are amazing summer and fall. The walks are easy, but if you aren't up to it, the tram is also a very good way to see the whole place.

During the winter the Atrium has nice seasonal decorations and koi ponds, which delight people of all ages.

The gift shop has very nice merchandise and the hallways around it always have artwork relating to nature.

I recommend it as a half-day activity. You'll get some fresh air, exercise, and mind-clearing experience with nature.

1  Thank Slo_Mo_12
Reviewed October 15, 2012

The gardens are going under some renovations currently. If your enjoy the outdoors and gardens you will still enjoy it here. I wasn't able to see all the different flowers in bloom, but the grounds and trails are beautiful. Indoors they are finishing their fall display. They have a great little cafeteria which is where I had lunch and visited with a couple of the staff- the food was wonderful and cheap! I had the lunch special for $6 and I couldn't finish the food. There is a large gift shop where you can purchase souvenirs.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The gardens are beautifully tended around some natural meadows along the river... there are quite a few wonderful Jun Kaneko sculptures here and there, adding some really unique colours and dimension.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Thank goodness our daughter was free, although we still felt the $7/ea was a little pricey. While the gardens are nice, you cover a lot of ground to get from attraction to attraction with little in-between. Perhaps it felt this way with a small one, but keep that in mind. The best part was the trains, so don't pass that by. It was fine to do once, but unless you're hardcore on flower and plants you can pass this by.