“Joslyn is a valuable Omaha asset!”
Review of Joslyn Art Museum

Joslyn Art Museum
Ranked #4 of 127 things to do in Omaha
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I have been to the Joslyn many times since I live in the area and have watched it evolve over the years. The collections are good and I really enjoy seeing some of the pieces again and again. The Joslyn is not the home of the rarest works of art. You will get to see art (e.g paintings, sculptures) representative of different eras and cultures.

The building is very well kept as it is used "after hours" for weddings and gatherings. If you are interested in architecture you might find the building itself very interesting (see the website).

The addition of the outdoor sculpture garden a few years ago was a nice touch. There is a cafe and store inside the museum.

Admission to the general museum is free to the public now but access to special exhibits will require a fee if you are not a member.

Joslyn is not open later than 4pm on most days so you want to make sure you have the time to get there between 10am-4pm. Saturday mornings can be very busy so parking can be limited on museum grounds but there is plenty of street parking surrounding the building.

I never get tired of going to the Joslyn for so many reasons!

1  Thank seawashd

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is an amazing collection of art in an amazing building. The contemporary section is being redone at this time, but we really enjoyed the older European and American art. A must see!

1  Thank luv2snkl
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This museum has one of everything it is supposed to have, and then some. I think the best term is "eclectic." The heart of the collection is its art of the American West and its 19th C Orientalist Collection. There were some glorious pieces, some crap, and a lot of stuff that looked like something I might find reproduced in my dentist's office. The interpretation is really light and utterly lacking critique. For instance, there is this giant room full of harem paintings and not one mention of the Orientalist bent of the period. Really? The idea that most of the Western art was commissioned to further expansion was not touched on either. The building itself was beautiful, especially the 30s fixtures and the founder's room. It is free and definitely worth your time. I would just really love to see a hint of reflection and analysis by the curators.

1  Thank Jana B
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Much better collection than expected. Native American galleries were excellent. Beautiful building. I didn't get to see the Poseidon exhibit and some of the upper floor, but I am hoping to go back this Saturday to see what I didn't last time.

1  Thank 70Cutlass
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My husband and I were in Omaha with our daughter and family and since there was a BRAND new baby at home I decided to take the 2 year old to the Joslyn to give him a little 1:1 time with his Grandma (me!). It was bitterly cold outside but once we braved the elements and got inside I could tell right away this was a PERFECT choice for both of us! The parking was very easy and the exterior so beautifuI. It happened to be a Sunday and the admission happened to be free so that was a great beginning. I did get some curious sideways glances from other visitors as I chatted to Colton about the beautiful art and sculptures as one would to another adult, yet at his level. (In the end I think he passed the test as a very well dressed lady came over to us as we were having lunch and said how beautiful his manners were!) This was his first 'grownup' museum but he was intrigued from the get-go. Upon entering there was a soaring multi-level wall of glass at the far end of the building and in front of it an equally tall and impressive grouping of suspended colorful ballon-like round spheres that caught his eye and mine right away. As we went to explore it and turned around I saw something that I immediately recognized being a Seattle native -- a huge installation of Chihuly glass! It was on the mezzanine at the top of the stairs. We were both magnetically drawn there to look at it up close. I was equally enchanted -- by my young grandson's comments and perceptions of this incredible display, and by the sheer, pure genius of Dale Chihuly! Again, just as downstairs, this artwork was right in front of a huge window so the fancifully shaped jewel-toned glass literally glowed with the natural light flooding through it from the window. Ahhh, I was in heaven. I was in a fine art museum with my little grandson! We continued on through several galleries, I challenging him to tell me about a shape or to try and find an antelope, he surprising me with his level of perception and interest. The exhibitions in the galleries were quite varied so there was definitely something for everyone. It was a nice mix of wall art and sculpture, and the building itself had elements of grandeur and was truly lovely. My grandson especially liked the large circular fountain which I found quite a delightful attribute as well. The galleries were spacious, well lit, and with good signage. There was a very nice open area on the mezzanine with a rug splashed in blocks of bright, inviting colors where young artists could create. The large cabinet held many ample work boards that could be pulled out and placed on the soft rug which coupled with the provided colored pencils gave every child a chance to be a Van Gogh. My little grandson worked side by side with a 10 year old and they both were completely engrossed. We had lunch at the cafe which turned out to be another wonderful surprise. The staff and chef there were extremely pleasant and accommodating. I had a super fresh and delicious chicken caesar salad. They actually had a true children's menu and even had whole wheat bread for the kids peanut butter sandwich. The prices were very reasonable and there were pleasant round tables placed in a room surrounded by soaring glass so that you felt as tho you were dining outdoors. Right outside the windows were trees and tall grasses so the view was very nice even tho we were in the city. We stopped in the gift shop on the way out and again the staff were so friendly and helpful. This was really a pleasant surprise -- a museum of this caliber is often only found in very large municipalities. Be sure not to miss the Joslyn - you will be so glad you came! Congratulations Omaha on such a beautiful space and place!

Been to Joslyn Art Museum? Share your experiences!