Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Beautiful - unique - FREE

Reviewed 1 week ago
Avidtravelbug
Omaha, Nebraska

All reviews sculpture garden permanent collection beautiful building free admission chihuly glass nice collection el greco pollock pink marble american west varied collection fountain court grant wood special exhibit traveling exhibits gift shop children's area
Reviewed 5 days ago

Was in Omaha on a rainy day and spent some time here - nice exhibits and it's free! Building is a must see on its own.

Reviewed 6 days ago

When Brian Kelly’s UNL architecture students want to see a world-class building, he says they road-trip to Kansas City, Minneapolis or Chicago. In the future, I will do the same for seeing world-class art. Better yet, travel to Dallas, NYC, London, or Copenhagen if you really want to see world-class art.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 1 week ago

Admission to Joslyn is FREE, with a few special exceptions (traveling exhibits), and you can opt out of those exhibits and take the time to experience all the others. The building itself is gorgeous, inside and out, with a lovely exhibit outside. The colorful Chihuly pieces at each end are spectacular - especially so on a bright sunny day. We attended, specifically, this time to see the Race to Promontory exhibit about the building of the railroad - very cool! We did not pay the extra fee to see the quilt exhibit, but there are so many other pieces of artwork to see and experience, we didn't feel we missed anything. There is a lovely little cafe to grab coffee, lunch or a snack and just 'take a load off' - and of course, a gift shop that's pretty fun to peruse. They host performances in their performance hall, and the sound in there is pretty amazing - take advantage if you can. There are also a number of spaces where you can host an event - of all different sizes, from small corporate lunches to large, fancy weddings. It was a lovely afternoon of time well-spent!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a great small museum. For a fairly small museum they have a wonderful collection. I understand though that they have many pieces that so far they don't have room to display but this might be changing. I enjoyed the European section and the Spanish colonial art.
There was a wonderful quilt special exhibition the day I was there. I went on the tour and found it to be very interesting.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As avid fans of American Art we had always wanted to get to Omaha just to get to this museum. The 360 mile drive had always proved an obstacle until a wedding forced us to do it.
Opening at 10AM Sunday was a blessing as it gave us the opportunity to spend more than two hours touring the museum and its fine collection of American art, even allowing us time to see their special exhibition of quilting still leaving us plenty of time to get to that wedding that afternoon. This is a must for any art lover.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This museum is packed with beautiful artwork. Some of it is ancient, some of it is new and lots in between. The large Chihuly art piece in the entrance is impressive by itself and certainly worth the price of admission, which is free! Don't miss this museum. It's quite wonderful.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I came specifically to see the Union Pacific exhibit featuring the spikes used to complete the transcontinental railway. This is the first time the three existing spikes have been reunited since the completion of the major project. Great historical photos accompanied this exhibit.
It has been many years since I had last been to the rest of the resident collection. I was impressed with the nice impressionistic gallery and the American works of art.
Nice gem worth your visit.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We loved the art galleries and the architecture of this museum. I'm a photography enthusiast and I could have spent the whole day in the museum taking photos. Everyone was very nice and there weren't a lot of restrictions.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

When I moved (back) to Omaha from Washington, D.C., I was desperately missing "my" Smithsonian Museums. As a long-term D.C., resident, I got my weekly art fix on most Fridays throughout the years strolling among the 10—always FREE— Smithsonian Museum buildings majestically gracing both sides of the National Mall.

Then I (re)discovered Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha. With free admission and parking, Joslyn is the perfect place in Omaha to stimulate the senses: art, food, and shopping all within the rose marble walls of this glorious Art Deco masterpiece!
The permanent art collection of paintings, artifacts, and sculptures offers something for every taste and interest. Feast your eyes on the stunning works of Mary Cassatt, Jackson Pollock, Rembrandt, Monet, Renoir, Degas, El Greco, Chihuly, Native American artists, and the list goes on and on...

Take a sumptuous lunch break in the Cafe Durham offering soups, sandwiches, salads, and daily specials. Relax at a table in the atrium under a magnificent Chihuly sculpture as sun streams through the skylights above.

Browse the unique gifts and treasures in the Hitchcock Museum Shop, carefully curated under the artistic eye of manager Jane Precella. Beautiful handmade greeting cards (I am one of the contributing artists.), books, jewelry, toys, museum prints, and many items carefully selected to complement the visiting exhibitions throughout the year.

If you are visiting with young children, Art Works is a must! Interactive art experiences for every age, including amazing touch computer screens to create your own masterpiece; you can then email the image to yourself. When I took my two-year-old niece, she created a vivid abstract painting I had made into a canvas for her.

And be sure to enjoy the outdoor Sculpture Gardens when the weather is nice! My niece also loved that space.

Joslyn has a packed calendar of monthly events all year long, including free weekly docent tours, musical performances, public lectures, and special member events.
If you live in the Omaha area, consider becoming a Joslyn member. It's by far my favorite Omaha membership! Membership has so many benefits: Joslyn NOW publication, members' only cocktail receptions, lectures, special exhibition previews, and so much more. And you meet the most fascinating people as well!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There were many really interesting exhibits within the museum, and it was easy to navigate throughout the rooms without getting lost. There was also a sculpture garden outside. Allow a couple of hours if you can.