“Huge disappointment!”
Review of Joe's Crab Shack - CLOSED

Joe's Crab Shack
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a new establishment in Omaha, NE (Nebraska's first Joe's Crab Shack)
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Cindy and I ate lunch here on a Wednesday afternoon. Our server, Amy, was very engaging, friendly and knowledgeable about the food. Cindy ordered the Pan-Fried Cheesy Chicken, and I sampled it. I was thrilled with it, and so was she. The flavors were spectacular in the Cajun mushroom sauce topping. I ordered the crawfish half and half, and it was OK. The etouffe side of the plate was very good, but the deep fried crawfish were buried in breading. That completely eliminated any chance of tasting the wonderfully sweet crawfish meat. Damn shame. I also ordered the New England Clam Chowder, and it was possibly the worst I have eaten for my tastes. I know bacon is the latest craze for all things food, but that was the ONLY flavor I could taste. They did not charge me for it, but still, I was really looking forward to eating it, rather than having my money refunded. Perhaps it is just my taste buds, but I expected clam chowder to taste of, I don't know...CLAMS!!! The timing on our order was abysmal. Our hush puppies and my chowder appetizer actually arrived well after our entrees. Just in the interest of fairness, the hush puppies were delicious! Due to all the things I heard through the years about Joe's Crab Shack, I must admit this was one of my most disappointing restaurant visits. I REALLY expected better.

There are newer reviews for Joe's Crab Shack

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is THE place if you like shellfish. Great fun, great menu and great service. Buckets of crab, lobster, mussels etc etc. Informal family friendly place.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to Joes and we didn't know what to expect. The wait was about a half hour, which I can accept if they are busy. It was a Sunday night. We got in and ordered and it took quite a while for the appetizer, which was actually very good (crab dip) when it did arrive. Then we waited and waited. After 45 minutes we started having our waiter check on things, but he never really had any answers for us. Just that it would be longer. After about an hour and fifteen minutes we got part of our order. It was steamed crab, which they told us was the fastest thing to order. For the price the meal was pretty underwhelming. Along with your crab you get an ear if firm and two small potatoes. They didn't bring butter or other standard can eating fare.
We had also ordered some mashed potatoes, which they didn't have ready with the meal. We told them to cancel them. Seriously? An hour plus and we can't get mashed potatoes.
We wondered if we were the only ones, but the looks of despair on our fellow diners faces said we were not. The table next to us waited forever and finally gave up and left. It was that bad.
Judging by our experience and the other reviews here I'd say that this particular Joes has a particularly poor manager. You are best to avoid this one like the plague; unless you want to spend over 2 hours of your life paying high prices for average food (if you get it all).
Honestly, I've had crab that is every but as good at the Red Lobster and would recommend that route or Shucks as other have mentioned.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The food was poorly prepared and over priced. Had the Southern style shrimp. I grew up in the South and never had any shrimp like we had there. The shrimp were like rubber. The aspergrass was so overlooked it was crusty and we were served the woody part of the stalk. Will ever go back. And I love seafood.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Joes in Omaha is average. We have been to Kansas City and Des Moines Joes in the past and rank them the same. I would stick to the Steam Pots or shrimp dishes. This is a decent placefor sea food and the service is usually very good. BUT if you want FRESH sea food in land locked Nebraska, Shucks in Omaha is a MUCH better choice. Joes is VERY pricy and I'm sure the sea food is frozen.