“Extremely Rude and Arrogant”
Review of DiVentures

DiVentures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: State-of-the-art aquatic center offering year-round scuba and swim classes, plus trips to top diving destinations around the world. Large selection of dive equipment and accessories.Committed to safety and fun, DiVentures offers a variety of activities for kids, families and corporate groups. Stop by and learn more about the nation's largest scuba and swim center!
Reviewed March 6, 2012

At one point their website advertised "open swim" and for $5 you could come swim in the pool for a couple hours. I took advantage of this three times without incident and enjoyed the deep 14 foot section to practice freediving and to help a couple buddies learn to equalize their ears in anticipation of our trip to Maui. On my third time there a man came up to me and asked what I was doing and I was confused as it was obvious what I was doing. He asked if I was taking any classes with them and I told him no that I had just come to the open swim like I had two other times. He then asked if I had bought any gear from them and I explained that I had only bought some weights and paid entry to the pool three times. He then told me to leave and not come back unless I'm ready to spend "real money" at their place. I called to complain about this very rude handling and it turned out that this man was one of the owners and a woman who turned out to be his daughter called and although very pleasant, lied that her dad was just concerned for my safety and that they were changing the rules about who could use the pool facility. Needless to say I haven't been back and have subsequently dove in Santa Barbara, Maui, and Kauai without purchasing any gear, scheduling any trips, or taking any classes. I also made sure to let my dad know who was about to enroll his wife in a check-out dive before their trip to Cozumel to avoid using DiVentures. I later went to another diveshop in the Ralston/Papillion area and they were much more of a small operation and they didn't have their own pool facility but they actually gave me the time of day and even invited me to come freediving at their private quarry whenever they were there with a class or open diving. DiVentures has a great facility but the owner is very short sighted and arrogant and I don't recommend supporting this place. In case you were wondering, I am Open Water PADI certified along with my father and stepmother and am an avid spearfisherman and freediver.

15  Thank OutdoorCatholic
DVenturesiMark, Owner at DiVentures, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2012

First of all, I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Hawaii. There are some beautiful dive sites there and some spectacular sea life. It’s good to hear you had fun and dove safely.

Secondly, I am sorry that your experience in our store was so negative. We strive very hard to make sure everyone has an enjoyable time with us, but safety trumps everything, so I’ll try to clarify our position.

As you’ll recall, I approached you as it appeared that you were training students in our pool, which you agreed you were in fact doing. You told me that you were not certified as an instructor and did not hold professional liability insurance. Unfortunately, without proper certification on your part, we cannot add you to our professional liability coverage. Without insurance coverage, the liability for any accident, however remote, falls directly upon us, so I had no choice but to ask you to cease your instruction.

Every DiVentures customer is taught by a certified instructor. Every instructor has been trained and certified by an internationally accredited certification agency, is held to strict training standards and is required to have insurance liability coverage. Given you were training people without being certified or insured, we simply could not guarantee the safety of your friends, students, or even yourself. I would be devastated to have anyone injured due to a lack of diligence on our part.

Freediving is a very intensive course that requires considerable time and some expense, but the rewards can be fantastic. We would be happy to work with you on a certifying and instructional program and our main certifying agency, SSI, offers an excellent freediving certification course. We can, through a quality educational process, get you to instructor status. At that point, we’d welcome you as a member of our staff. We can always use good instructors in unique specialties like yours.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding. In the future, I’ll try to be more detailed in my concerns. Of course, I am often in the store if I can discuss this further with you.

Mark J. Roberts

Reviewed February 25, 2012

I was certified, bought my equipment, and took a dive trip to Honduras all through Diventures. It's an amazing facility with very helpful instructors and sales people -- hard to believe we have such a cool place in Omaha, NE! They make it very easy and fun to get certified and help you through any apprehension you may have. I'd recommend this place to anyone that's always wondered about Scuba diving. It's a BLAST and this place has all the goods you need to do it right. The trip to Utila, Honduras was fantastic. Hope to do more trips through them sometime soon.

3  Thank Rob M
Reviewed February 22, 2012

DiVentures is not just a wonderful and unique facility but the staff is fantastic. From the minute you enter DiVentures you will be greeted with a smile and professional staff. The facility is fantastic and unique with a "warm and family type feeling". You will feel at ease in the store. We cannot say enough about the staff!! Our 9 year old has taken to the water and has began, what we feel will be a life long passion of scuba because of the staff at DiVentures. They have taken at every step of the way, safety, real concern of the student, wonderful teaching techniques, positive energy, and passion for what they are teaching. It is and has continued to be such a positive experience. The student to teacher ratio has been fantastic. It has been fascinating to see just how excited not only our daughter is about getting to go to DiVentures to attend scuba classes but to see the other young students enjoying their experience just as much.

I have also had the privilege to meet a number of the staff and literally everyone is so focused on making the DiVenture experience a positive one. They have a very good selection of equipment and if it is not in the store they will work on getting it for you. DiVentures is not just a scuba facility it is a unique place to meet others who share the passion and love of water and scuba.

Pat and Sue Mc
Omaha Nebraska

5  Thank Pat M
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Over the years I have had the opportunity to have taken numerous trips with Diventures. They take the hassle and worry out of the trip by booking and scheduling all of our accommodations and activites. I would recommend Diventures for scuba diving, traveling, sales and service. I look forward to traveling with you soon and keep up the good work.

2  Thank 05191019
Reviewed February 4, 2012

DiVentures is an incredible business. They are a full service SCUBA store. The offer classes in SCUBA Diving, snorkeling, and swimming.

My daughter has taken both swimming lessons and SCUBA Ranger lessons (lessons for children). She has been swimming there since it first opened. The quality of the lessons is top notch. The classes are small and the instructors are the best swimming instructors I could hope for my child. She has never had a class with more than two other students. If there are more than a few students in the class, they really work with you to find a smaller sized class.

In the past, I have taken my daughter to the YMCA and other places for lessons. She learned more in the first month at DiVentures than she learned in almost 2 years of lessons at the YMCA and other places.

Their swimming program is excellent.

She has also taken a SCUBA Ranger course. This course is designed for children who are too young for SCUBA certification. They give children the basics of SCUBA instruction and give them experience in the water. As an experienced SCUBA Diver, I was highly impressed with the knowledge my daughter had of SCUBA diving by the end of the course.

If you are interested in SCUBA Diving or swimming lessons, DiVentures is the place to visit. They also have an excellent selection of SCUBA gear!

4  Thank The-Travelin-DC

Been to DiVentures? Share your experiences!