“Exceptional italian!”

Nicola's Italian Wine & Faire
Ranked #117 of 1,383 Restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Tiny, rustic indoor seating, with seating in a big beautiful outdoor garden. A very special way to enjoy an evening with friends or family. The homemade desserts are the perfect way to end a delightful meal. We want you to enjoy your evening and enjoy freshly made entrees, so they do take a little more time to prepare when ordering. We also cater business lunches and dinner parties. The red sauce has a little kick to it and I love our lasagna!
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently dined at Nicola's in the Old Market for a friend's birthday and was very impressed. We had a delicious meal with a wonderful wine. My friend dines there quite often and wanted to go there for her special occasion. I would recommend it for any occasion as it is very good and very affordable!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was our third visit to Nicola's....we love this place! The food is great, the prices are right, and the service is spot on.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

If you are looking for fast food, shop elsewhere.

If you are looking for a place that makes their own pasta fresh, cooks up portions not by the bucket but by the plate, then this place is for you.

We stopped in on a Wednesday night, and the place was fairly packed. I ended up ordering the Bruscetta, as well as the Portabella Ravioli in Ragu sauce.

Where do I start? Good sauce, good pasta, good, good, just good.

They have a stocked bar, and I went for a glass of the Angeline Cabernet, and it was fresh and tasty as well.

Nice stuff, nice atmosphere, outdoor seating if you'd like. I like this place - I'll be back.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

There were a total of 6 people dining. Some had the lasagna and ravioli's. The waitress and staff were Great! We had the lemon cake - an absolute must!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I joined friends for dinner at Nicolas in Omaha’s Old Market last night. The interior is crowded and mildly chaotic but fits in with the Old Market ambience. Our table mates had bothered to make reservations, so we were disappointed to be seated at the worst seat in the house, right next to the kitchen. The table abuts an annoying 4x4 floor-to-ceiling post, making for an awkward “fifth” at our four-top. Our attendant apologized for the table’s need of repair, too, explaining that warn out hardware on the center post caused the merciless wobbling. Perhaps management should keep that table for walk-ins, or just remove it. First impressions are important, so at least repair the wobble.

We were eager to be won over by the fare, noting that small “hole in the wall” warehouse settings often turn out surprisingly well. Our helper was attentive, efficient, and polite, and the wine menu was pleasing and sensible. Sadly, our helper informed us that the management is trimming the wine cellar, so the bottle we enjoyed would be the last served of that particular label. A good wine cellar offsets shortcomings, so it’s a shame Nicolas is taking this path.

Our meal began with Antipasto Italiano, a mildly appealing mix of sausage slices, fresh mozzarella (cow’s milk), calamatas, baby pickles, and toast with tomato and basil. The plate was strewn with sun-dried tomatoes, an American addition my wife and I never encountered during two years in Italy. Some enjoy them, but they knocked several points off the antipasti score. Why not serve fresh sliced romas instead? Better yet, an authentic and flavorful substitute that shouldn’t harm the propietor’s bottom line could favor sauteed melanzana (eggplant) or funghi con l’aglio (garlic mushrooms).

My wife ordered spaghetti with meat balls in a ragu sauce. Our table mates had a pan seared scallop dish (the evening’s special) and pasta carbonara, while I had the lobster ravioli. One of the things that makes authentic Italian cuisine so appealing is the way a blend of fresh ingredients and herbs speak for themselves. Unfortunately, my wife’s meat balls and ragu sauce were heavily salted, muting the food’s appeal She was unable to finish her meal. The carbonara and scallop dishes our table mates ordered proved much better choices, though the carbonara was thin on pancetta and made too much acommodation for the untravelled palette. The lobster ravioli also disappointed. Though the ravioli pasta was well made, the lobster flavor was faint and diminshed by the saltiness of the pomodoro sauce. On balance, it seems that the chef’s attention was narrowly reserved for the evening’s special, which earned the best grade of the four plates.

In summary, we are compelled to summarize Nicolas as tropo potenziale, ma un deluso alla fine—much potential, but in the end, disappointment. Omaha has better offerings for Italian cuisine.

nicola n, Owner at Nicola's Italian Wine & Faire, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

I'm sorry that you came in on such an off night. I have been watching over my kitchen more carefully. The table has been replaced, but unfortunately it is just a tiny space overall. I hope that someday you try us again, because my food is not normally prepared in such a way.