“I want to find something really good here to bring us back, otherwise just another BBQ.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mojo Smokehouse and Ales - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mojo Smokehouse and Ales
Cuisines: Barbecue
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We dined at Mojo in Aksarben village on a hot summer evening. We were seated without waiting at one of the large glass windows with a view to the courtyard. Mojo is a smokehouse aka as BBQ in some places. It’s new enough not to have the deep smoke smell some of the older joints do. We ordered drinks and the black eyed pea dip. The waiter offered lemon or cucumber in the water. My spouse requested the lemon in her water but instead the waiter brought it with a cucumber. It was a minor slip. She found the pea dip too spicy but she is very sensitive to spice of any degree. I thought it was tasty with the fresh chips.
The food came out with warm damp/wet cloths to use. It was a nice touch. Unfortunately I wanted them at the end of the meal and by that time they were cold and clammy.
My wife had a combo of ribs and chicken, a house salad, and potato salad. The salad looked nice and fresh. She liked both the ribs and chicken. The potato salad did not get finished so I would say it was the weak member of the order. She couldn’t enjoy the BBQ sauce because it had a little spicy component that was too much for her. Next time I will see if they would bring one of their other sauces instead.
I ordered the “threesome” dinner combo of ribs, brisket, and sausage with red cabbage coleslaw, baked beans, and cornbread. The order came out with ribs, brisket, and chicken. When I questioned the waiter he immediately recalled that I had ordered brisket and apologized and quickly produced an order of brisket. One of the quickest and best recoveries I’ve encountered. I found the BBQ sauce very good and enjoyed the tender ribs, smoked sausage, and brisket. I thought the brisket was slightly dry and the weakest of my group. I was not charged for the chicken that I didn’t order and carried it, most of the brisket, and half the sausage home. The baked beans were average; the red cabbage coleslaw had a vinaigrette dressing and was a nice change. The cornbread and honey butter was average.
It’s a newcomer in Omaha so I hope the missteps will get worked out. It was pretty loud when I was there, and there were a few thumps that I suspect was from the movie theater next door. You are invited to use the provided chalk on the blackboard table tops.
I'm looking for something special or really exceptional here. Maybe it will be the burgers.

• Visited July 2011